request for Less Obtrusive Ads

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
delivi

request for Less Obtrusive Ads

Post by delivi »

Hi Guys, I'm here at Smokyhosts after a long time, I found that the forum has improved a lit bit. But I was disappointed at the more obtrusive ads, especially the one that scrolls along with the page.

SHAdmin, I really appreciate and accept the truth that ads are the main source of revenue for the SHForums, I can tolerate the ads that come between the posts, but the obtrusive ads like the one that keeps scrolling with the page is really irritating, Please make the ads less obtrusive.

I donno how many of you may agree or disagree with me, but I kinda feel that this kind of ads makes me feel insecure and gives an impression that I'm visiting a non-pro website :(

TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Alright after reading my last private message I've decided to do a little bit of a moderation to find a medium in which we can all agree on.

When I came back yesterday I noticed the ads and sent a PM to SHAdmin, since I have been gone I didn't expect to see him take my opinion too heavily so to benefit both the members of Smokyhosts and Smokyhosts itself I am sure we can find a foothold which can be great for both sides.

We have all here at smokyhosts concluded that the ads help give us the free hosting. It isn't too much but it helps cover costs and most of us do not mind this because it's never been denied. So we know the ads help support the cause so I am just wondering what everyone else thinks about the ads and point out a couple ideas to help improve the ads where they are still plentiful and less of an annoyance.

I'm not looking to get them all removed but I do agree some are a bit obtrusive causing a bit of an issue.

So we have A_)The Contextual Ads which scroll with the page. This is one, so I am thinking to put it at the bottom of the page below the forum/posting/messages. So people will still see them when posting, changing over to the next page/reading the last post on that page, and before they see the "Who's Online." I'm sure we could all agree on that.

Please post (IN A NICE MANNER) any issues you are experiencing with the ads, whether they be annoyances or actual issues. As I said I don't want them all to be removed because it's support our habits XD. So please join with me and help in some placements of these ads for a better experiance for all of us.

P.S. Honestly the only thing that bothered me was one that wanted me to install something. DO NOT INSTALL. I still do not know what it plans on installing, but if ever in doubt always deny it. They do not bother me regardless as I am only here to support Smokyhosts, and it's members.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
Jason

Post by Jason »

Hmm, I've been away for a while but have now returned. :D

I was fine with all the ads up until now; this contextual ad that scrolls with me is driving me insane already, I am all for allowing SHAdmin to have ads on his site to help cover costs and thus allow free hosting to continue but this scrolling ad is taking it too far.
An alternative would be: ads either side of the copyright text in the footer. I think this would be appropiate and still in eye-sight when people scroll to the bottom for such posts and to move onto the next page.
thecobra

Post by thecobra »

i agreed with the above post, also you can make the ad appears every time you get a forum message like the one that says "system time updated" everyone sees one of those and it doesn't bother as much as the scrolling ones. another idea is to have ads after every 4-6 post in a forums. like that everyone will see it(note: make the ad be about the topic at least) <- like that they can read it :). another one is having ads next to the reply box or "additional options" box

this is just some of the idea i have, tell me if you like them
TheCrymsonLegends

Thank you Thecobra and Jason for those ideas. I'd still like to see more from other people.

Honestly answer, if they don't bother you then you could add it in as well. I don't mean to seem rude but it's majority over minority for the most part, can't always please everyone :P.

Seems like most have the same opinions of the contextual ad, just placing it in a place so it gets the same attention is not as easy.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

I don't like the ads that appear over words on the posts. But if it's the only way to support the free hosting, then it's a good idea to keep it, I think most people agree its better to have ads and free hosting than neither of them.
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
delivi

Post by delivi »

then it seems that most of the prominent members SHForum are not for obtrusive ads, so I think getting it removed will make the people here happy.

As for suggestions for placement of ads, I'd love to see ads above the Quick Reply box, this is the region we'll be looking for quite sometime, when we are typing the posts, so they are sure to get the attention of the memebrs. I'd also love to see more exciting and useful ads rather than some crappy, unrelated ads.
TheCrymsonLegends

That is a good placement for an ad. There and on the post reply page, which we spend most of our time looking at anyway.

The contextual ad doesn't bother me because I have my screen at 1680x1050 and it's very small in the corner. If it can be made a percentage width/height of maybe 20% wide and 5%-8% tall then it would mimic the same size which is on mine and be less obtrusive.

For the in-line ads they don't generate much of a link nor show anything to actually consider **** them.

Hope SHAdmin has gotten an idea of how to place ads in more suitable areas which will generate a positive environment instead of a negative response. XD
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Just thought I would better look into the views of members before myself posting something here...

Firstly, the inline ads will be removed shortly, as even i see that they dont show anything useful enough to **** on.

However, considering the contextual ads, I have absolutely no idea how that could be obtrusive... That just appears on the top right corner of the page and doesnt hide anything on the page either! Still looking for a reasonably conviencing reason to remove this.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Reason: it's a HUGE pain the ass!!! Which in turn results in negative customer satisfaction, which is what most companies tend to avoid. ;)
It follows you, a least with ads that are embedded within the forum you can scroll away from, but this contextual ad it follows you wherever you go. Further more, it does get in the way but because you can scroll it out of the way it isn't a permanent block, but it still remains that it gets in the way.