Fresh Suggestions for new SH Forum

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
delivi

Fresh Suggestions for new SH Forum

Post by delivi »

Let us comeup with some new and fresh Innovative ideas for the forum, so that the user activity increases as well as new users signup in the Forum.

Let me start with a few suggestions of mine,

* All posts must be elaborative. No One or Two liner posts.
* Each reply to the post must be related to the previous posts or the topic.
* replies must be elaborative and informative.

All these will help SmokyHosts forum listed in top search results in those topics and more users searching for those topics end landing here.

Then we gotta have some nice contests going thoroughout the year and seasonal contests so that new visitors visitng the site will get hooked to the site and keep coming back :). The contests must be unique :)

Since SHForum is Web Hsoting related, a seperate section in the forum related to how tos, and manuals and help for Web Development and Web hosting will be very useful.

comeon guys let your ideas flow, we'll make this place better :)

Jason

Post by Jason »

delivi wrote:Let us comeup with some new and fresh Innovative ideas for the forum, so that the user activity increases as well as new users signup in the Forum.
I'm up for that, but first, let's discuss your suggestions...
delivi wrote: * All posts must be elaborative. No One or Two liner posts.
Sometimes it's not feasible to post more than 5 words, let alone a paragraph. This is an unrealistic suggestion.
delivi wrote: * Each reply to the post must be related to the previous posts or the topic.
Of course, goes without saying--should be a part of the rules, actually.
delivi wrote: * replies must be elaborative and informative.
Depending on what the topic is and how much the topic starter, or even the users that have replied, put will somewhat determine how much can be said in response. Sure, you could write a whole paragraph or more which elaborates on the original topic post but this may mean that one user takes the time to type-up a quality post and then other's just discard it; wasting the posters time.
What I'm trying to say is: this needs "fine-tuning"/elaborating on/defining a little more.
delivi wrote: All these will help SmokyHosts forum listed in top search results in those topics and more users searching for those topics end landing here.
Not necessarily true, why? ...take Google for example: I've watched a video that outlines how websites get to the top of Google results. It works by the principles of: how many hits the site gets, how many link-backs to the website there are (this is the main one) and one other thing :rolleyes:
Anyway, the main point is: "link-backs" ...this is what needs taking care of; SmokyHosts needs advertising <shudders>, not necessarily lengthy posts (though I do understand you theory behind what you said).
delivi wrote: Then we gotta have some nice contests going thoroughout the year and seasonal contests so that new visitors visitng the site will get hooked to the site and keep coming back. The contests must be unique
We all run websites, we have our "real life" to attend to and so we're basically busy a lot ...where's the time for contests?
Also, coming up with new contests that will intrigue users is one difficult concept (I know, I've tried). Very rarely do contests succeed unless the prize is a big one and/or the user feels obliged to join in.
delivi wrote: Since SHForum is Web Hsoting related, a seperate section in the forum related to how tos, and manuals and help for Web Development and Web hosting will be very useful.
Do you mean a forum created to allow users to post articles on the points you've made? :confused:

Now for my suggestions:
  • Employ some staff that have the time to post fresh topics and maintain the forum;
    • Users will eventually "****" that there's someone, at least, around posting fresh new topics; which will give users something to come back for (in theory and more often than not; in practise).
    • With dedicated staff doing the above, and maintaining the place; making sure there's no spam, clean topics, promoting proper English* and making the place look "pretty" ...will attract users. I know that I will not post (and even join unless warranted) a messy bulletin board; gives the wrong impression.
  • Employ some staff that will provide dedicated support;
    • This way, SmokyHosts can be promoted as a hosting company with good/reliable support with a quick response time; there's nothing worse than waiting for support.
  • *Promote proper English (rather than "chat speak"/slang);
    • This will give SmokyHosts a reputable rep'. I join bulletin boards that uses good English :D ; it's a novelty on bulletin boards.
  • SHAdmin, you need to invest some more into SmokyHosts: pay for advertising; sign up to Google ads;
    • Signing up to Google ads will promote your company the best way possible; Google compensates for over 30% (or is that Yahoo!? ...either way, Google is the biggest ad provider so if it isn't 30% then it's guaranteed to be higher, so that's even better) for the Internet's advertising.
  • SHAdmin, sign up to Google-ads;
    • As much as I hate to say this: I think you should add Google Ads on the forums and in some places on the main website ...get yourself more income SHAdmin to help you pay for these extras.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Jason wrote:
  • *Promote proper English (rather than "chat speak"/slang);
    • This will give SmokyHosts a reputable rep'. I join bulletin boards that use[s]s[/s] good English :D ; it's a novelty on bulletin boards.
Just correcting my mistake. Also, with that said, I'd also like to suggest that the 'Edit' option comes back.
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Jason wrote: Now for my suggestions:
Employ some staff that have the time to post fresh topics and maintain the forum;
Users will eventually "****" that there's someone, at least, around posting fresh new topics; which will give users something to come back for (in theory and more often than not; in practice).

Posting topics that are fresh as a job? Sounds interesting but also deprives the community of making their own posts and replying to actual people. Everyone who has time to post should be giving to the community themselves by posting something fresh that they can likewise post to and reply to anyone who replies to them. Don't think there is a need to pay someone to do something which should already be done.

Jason wrote:With dedicated staff doing the above, and maintaining the place; making sure there's no spam, clean topics, promoting proper English* and making the place look "pretty" ...will attract users. I know that I will not post (and even join unless warranted) a messy bulletin board; gives the wrong impression.

We have staff that is maintaining the place the best we can. Not all spam is easily noticeable or even have the ability to be dealt with. For any advertisement spam we have pretty much eliminated it but for the spam caused by the actual users we don't always have the time to check every topic for improperly written posts.

Jason wrote:Employ some staff that will provide dedicated support;
This way, SmokyHosts can be promoted as a hosting company with good/reliable support with a quick response time; there's nothing worse than waiting for support.

I do agree with this to an extent, for the most part the website does have it's support for anything concerning the actual hosting side. Most of us get hosting for free which in my opinion shouldn't even be warranted by support. SHAdmin usually stays on top of things and does his best to ensure all the up time possible, but machines will be machines and none of them are 100% guaranteed to be perfect.

Now for support for web development is given by the community itself, which makes the community better. Waiting is all we can do because Smokyhosts is a hosting company not a Development Support Group. Usually if you use a CSM you have to get support from that site/company, simply because that would be too much to maintain to provide support for.

Jason wrote:*Promote proper English (rather than "chat speak"/slang);
This will give SmokyHosts a reputable rep'. I join bulletin boards that uses good English :D ; it's a novelty on bulletin boards.

This is a huge issue because this hosting is provided to any country who can possible have internet, meaning many cultures and languages can rise on the forums. Limiting everything to the "Proper" English could provide issues with many people who can barely speak the language let alone know everything to type in a "Proper" way. For those who speak the computer slang, it is just easier for them to do so and once you have adapted to a common way to type it is not that easy to transfer back. Simply speaking any slang or English typed by those of different countries isn't wrong, and no matter how much we do not like it if we were to cut it back we would lose more members than if we just let it be.

Jason wrote:SHAdmin, you need to invest some more into SmokyHosts: pay for advertising; sign up to Google ads;
Signing up to Google ads will promote your company the best way possible; Google compensates for over 30% (or is that Yahoo!? ...either way, Google is the biggest ad provider so if it isn't 30% then it's guaranteed to be higher, so that's even better) for the Internet's advertising.

Paying for advertisements will reduce what he puts into more space, I do not know if he pays for advertisements or not but 3 strong years and still running must mean something is going right.

Jason wrote:SHAdmin, sign up to Google-ads;
As much as I hate to say this: I think you should add Google Ads on the forums and in some places on the main website ...get yourself more income SHAdmin to help you pay for these extras.
[/LIST]

I don't know if you have not noticed or not but he has Google Ads placed on the forums already. He just places them wisely so that people don't become annoyed by them. If they are not on the forums it may be a code issue but he's had Google Ads since the beginning and it does bring in some income but it probably goes to paying for the free hosting that many of us receive.

As far as the Edit Button I believe it was removed because we would go in and change a post which had something we found inappropriate and then people would go back in and change it back. It caused more of a problem than a solution but removing it did cause another issue. This one I kind of agree with about bringing it back because many people do make mistakes and once a post is posted then it is locked and they have to double post which is considered spam to fix the mistake and it puts more on the Moderators to combine the two posts to fix the mistake completely. So yes I agree with this suggestion XD.

It is hard to come up with Fresh Ideas because over 3 years we have seen a ton of suggestions many of them time and time again. I've actually found myself unable to make suggestions due to the simple fact I have no clue what I could suggest that SHAdmin either hasn't already thought of or hasn't already begun to implement. But as far as fresh ideas for spam.. it's pretty much already been worn out and people just don't seem to grasp the concept.

As far as the Contests go it isn't always a 100% guarantee that anything is needed in order to begin a contest or that gifts can even be given as rewards. For each contest the gifts which are given cost money and if you haven't noticed most the contests go towards making the website better in appearance. So everyone who participates in a contest usually works to give something to Smokyhosts and not all the time is there something which is needed. Which reminds me of something I need to Ask SHAdmin XD.

Now please remember while it may seem I have knocked all your suggestions to the floor it was not my intention to sound at all rude about it. I'm sure you know me well enough to know it's just what happens lol. Some of the Ideas I really like but when it comes down to the possibility of implementing them I just post my opinion of them. Please do remember though I am just me and SHAdmin has all say over anything, so if he feels that it is good then it shall be done.

Also one last thing, if you cannot type more than 5 words in a reply to something, maybe you shouldn't reply to it at all. Find another topic which draws more than 5 words and work on 1 - 2 lines. Honestly 1 - 2 lines is a blessing, and if someone writes a whole paragraph then I am excited. Now if you write as much as I do then you should probably get your head examined as I should but I am content with being completely insane XD.

Thanks for the posts, because I got something to reply to :D. Sorry if I sound rude on anything for it is not my intent, but merely a coincidence.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
Jason

Post by Jason »

TheCrymsonLegends wrote:Posting topics that are fresh as a job? Sounds interesting but also deprives the community of making their own posts and replying to actual people. Everyone who has time to post should be giving to the community themselves by posting something fresh that they can likewise post to and reply to anyone who replies to them. Don't think there is a need to pay someone to do something which should already be done.
I don't think it would stop or even discourage users posting. Take now for example: there's no-one employed to make topics and still, there's no continuous flow of new topics. To have someone who makes new topics will make the place look active and less dull; this will contribute to people returning and thus developing a community which will lead into users posting.
As for paying someone to do it... I wasn't aware SHAdmin paid people to work for him, however, if that's what it takes then maybe SHAdmin should consider it (depending on how much he agrees with the theory)?
TheCrymsonLegends wrote:...don't always have the time to check every topic for improperly written posts.
...and hence more staff are required, even that one extra person will make a difference. Maybe a staff member has a department/category?
e.g. Staff Member #1 - Advertising Spam
Staff Member #2 - User Spam
Staff Member #3 - Fills in the gaps for them
TheCrymsonLegends wrote:I do agree with this to an extent, for the most part the website does have it's support for anything concerning the actual hosting side. Most of us get hosting for free which in my opinion shouldn't even be warranted by support. SHAdmin usually stays on top of things and does his best to ensure all the up time possible, but machines will be machines and none of them are 100% guaranteed to be perfect.
We do get hosting for free and it does seem like we're sponging from SHAdmin but we are potential paying clients, no?
Besides which, I don't know what paying client support is like but support can always be improved, right? Maybe get some Live Support on the go? ...this is really popular... being able to advertise brilliant support is the best thing (second to brilliant deals).
TheCrymsonLegends wrote:Now for support for web development is given by the community itself, which makes the community better. Waiting is all we can do because Smokyhosts is a hosting company not a Development Support Group. Usually if you use a CSM you have to get support from that site/company, simply because that would be too much to maintain to provide support for.
Web-development support shouldn't be an issue the hosting company considers until the company is developed and is earning a substantial income, thus ready to expand--I don't think SmokyHost is there yet.
This should remain a community thing, agreed.
TheCrymsonLegends wrote:This is a huge issue because this hosting is provided to any country who can possible have internet, meaning many cultures and languages can rise on the forums. Limiting everything to the "Proper" English could provide issues with many people who can barely speak the language let alone know everything to type in a "Proper" way. For those who speak the computer slang, it is just easier for them to do so and once you have adapted to a common way to type it is not that easy to transfer back. Simply speaking any slang or English typed by those of different countries isn't wrong, and no matter how much we do not like it if we were to cut it back we would lose more members than if we just let it be.
I didn't consider the fact that there are none fluent English users here...
New plan: Force users to give their location in the profile and then you'll be able to tell if English is their first language? :p OK, maybe needs some fine-tuning? ...jokes aside though, I don't know? :confused:
TheCrymsonLegends wrote:Paying for advertisements will reduce what he puts into more space, I do not know if he pays for advertisements or not but 3 strong years and still running must mean something is going right.
You get what you put in? Maybe SHAdmin should consider getting a loan if he is serious about SmokyHosts.
TheCrymsonLegends wrote:I don't know if you have not noticed or not but he has Google Ads placed on the forums already. He just places them wisely so that people don't become annoyed by them. If they are not on the forums it may be a code issue but he's had Google Ads since the beginning and it does bring in some income but it probably goes to paying for the free hosting that many of us receive.
I did notice in the old skin but not in this new one.
TheCrymsonLegends wrote:As far as the Edit Button I believe it was removed because we would go in and change a post which had something we found inappropriate and then people would go back in and change it back. It caused more of a problem than a solution but removing it did cause another issue. This one I kind of agree with about bringing it back because many people do make mistakes and once a post is posted then it is locked and they have to double post which is considered spam to fix the mistake and it puts more on the Moderators to combine the two posts to fix the mistake completely. So yes I agree with this suggestion XD.
Oh ghod it is annoying when users take it upon themselves to edit their post that contradicts what a member of staff has done (I know from experience). I think: bring back the Edit feature and make sure the show edit legend is active, so, if a user has put back what was removed then you have evidence of it and you can tamper with their service (legally; so make sure the ToS is updated appropriately). Consequences can be...
A) Discipline the user (ban, reduce bandwidth/storage on hosting plan ...something)
B) Put the user in a group that hasn't the Edit feature enabled
TheCrymsonLegends wrote: It is hard to come up with Fresh Ideas because over 3 years we have seen a ton of suggestions many of them time and time again. I've actually found myself unable to make suggestions due to the simple fact I have no clue what I could suggest that SHAdmin either hasn't already thought of or hasn't already begun to implement. But as far as fresh ideas for spam.. it's pretty much already been worn out and people just don't seem to grasp the concept.
It's hard to come up with fresh ideas, full stop.
TheCrymsonLegends wrote:As far as the Contests go it isn't always a 100% guarantee that anything is needed in order to begin a contest or that gifts can even be given as rewards. For each contest the gifts which are given cost money and if you haven't noticed most the contests go towards making the website better in appearance. So everyone who participates in a contest usually works to give something to Smokyhosts and not all the time is there something which is needed.
I am not really a contest man myself so ... :rolleyes:
TheCrymsonLegends wrote:I'm sure you know me well enough to know it's just what happens lol.
I for one don't know you well enough, yet.
TheCrymsonLegends wrote:Also one last thing, if you cannot type more than 5 words in a reply to something, maybe you shouldn't reply to it at all.
I do agree with that to some extent; but sometimes, a few words is all it takes, no?