Renew free domains.

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
TheCrymsonLegends

Renew free domains.

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

As we are all currently aware we have the option to opt for free domains as long as we have the required points to do so. So why are we not allowed to renew our domains in a similar fashion?

I suggest that there be a point value for renewing domains simply because it would be the same price which it was registered at anyway. Maybe have the renewed value for points be 10% off the original register amount of points to help people get enough points through that next year to renew it.

I think this would be a good idea so that people wouldn't have to constantly renew domains with a similar name instead of having the domain they had previously been using to keep consistency on their websites. If we can register an unlimited number granted we have the points to do so I think it would be awesome just to renew them granted the points have been earned in order to do so. :D

To Members: Post your opinions of this so that SHAdmin will find it hard to dispute :D

To SHAdmin: Hear us all out I guarantee this suggestion is going to be a huge topic :).

Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

I agree, since renewing is the same price anyway, it makes perfect sense to me. And I don't really want to have to register a new domain and then have to tell all my members "Because I don't have money to actually buy a domain name, I have to get a new free one every year, our new domain name this year is <newdomain>" I think this is a great suggestion.
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
iBye

Post by iBye »

Yes, good idea there Crymson, also agree with you Tails, that would just be annoying for the users and the visits will drop. We should be able to renew them for a certain amount of points, how many points, well around the buy amount which is 300 now? Also, I just noticed that the free domains are available until christmas 07, wont they be after that? Becuase if not I better hurry up :)
Tired of Newbies asking Questions? Tell them www.UseGoogleFFS.com
TheCrymsonLegends

Normally there are only limited number of ways to obtain a Free .Info Domain but the price always changes in points. The more people use the specific way of obtaining a free domain the higher the points per domain it will be. It is perfectly understandable but this offer for a Free Domain is without having to do anything else. The other method is by joining a website in which you can receive a free .info domain but only if you joined the other site. I do not know why you can't renew if you can get as many free .info domains as possible granted you have it, I think it would be wonderful and would give people an incentive to continue gaining more points by either participating more in the forums and events in order to keep the domain they have. Eventually many people will want to get a paid domain which many place could offer them cheaper than Smokyhosts and SH would not only lose activity in the forums but a possible sell anyway. This way people would be more active on the forums which would trigger more ads and give a possibility for close to enough money to the domain than absolutely nothing at all.

I can imagine it would keep people interested and with the new activity level you could even raise the activity percentage up to renew a domain. Like you have to have a 25% Activity level and 350 points to renew a domain. Which would give twice as good of a bonus to smokyhost's forum activity so that new possible customers will see the forums are active instead of seeing all the 1000s of old posts and maybe 10 - 25 new ones being posted in. Hope he decides to do this, it would only be once a year and would keep a short number of domains being registered instead of many, many new ones each year.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

I am looking into the possibility of offering domain renewals to be done in exchange of points, however let me put a few facts forward....
  • Domain renewals dont cost the same as registering new domains! A new .info domain (under the current offer which is being extended) costs $2.44/year, however a renewal of .info domain costs $9.99/year!
  • Keeping in mind the above point, if you want me to work out some mathematics, it clearly works out to be atleast 4 times the cost of registering a new domain!
  • Will anybody be interested in paying 350 x 4 = 1400 points for renewing their domain??
  • As far as increasing activity in the forums is concerned, it might be a good idea. But giving things for free mean i need to look into the financial possibility of offering it! Though you will get it for free, but SmokyHosts still needs to pay for it!
  • Finally, if paid features are also offered for free, then there will not be any way to sustain SmokyHosts and that will ruin the complete purpose of offering things free to increase activity in the forums!!
Would love to see some posts to convience me to offer free renewals even after going through the above facts.

Keep negotiating guys, maybe some of you can get round all the above facts!! :D
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

iBye wrote:Yes, good idea there Crymson, also agree with you Tails, that would just be annoying for the users and the visits will drop. We should be able to renew them for a certain amount of points, how many points, well around the buy amount which is 300 now? Also, I just noticed that the free domains are available until christmas 07, wont they be after that? Becuase if not I better hurry up :)
The offer may or may not be offered after the 25th of December 2007. I cannot confirm about it right now.
TheCrymsonLegends

I don't see why the price changes when many other hosting companies offer the same price for renewal as their registration. In all honesty domains sound like a scam to draw you in to buy something cheap and when you go to renew it they slam you with outrageous prices.

I'll think of something to get by the facts, just give me some time to think about this.
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Well, it all depends on how who markets the domains.

I am getting an offer for low cost registration of new domains and renewals at normal cost, that is the reason i am extending the offer to you only for the new registrations.

Many other companies who offer new registrations as well as renewals at the same cost are basically offering both at atleast above $7.99/year. That more or less already equals the cost of domain renewal.
TheCrymsonLegends

I guess I mean it would make sense to offer cheaper registration if they can attempt to get them at a normal price in the years following. If there was a way to make more money for smokyhosts without direct payment from the members maybe there would be possibilities for more points for members to get the 1400 points to renew a domain. I thought they were the same price since .com and .net domains have the same price to renew as registration and many places offer the $1.99 .Info domains I just thought it was a normal price for them. I suppose I was wrong and this wouldn't be possible, my apologies.
iBye

Post by iBye »

My question, where do smokyhost buy the domain? I mean, if buy it from a company and then sell it to your customer?
Tired of Newbies asking Questions? Tell them www.UseGoogleFFS.com