Decrease posting delay timer

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
Xception

Decrease posting delay timer

Post by Xception »

I can type pretty fast, and I usually always make sure to make a full sentenced post, rarely ever leave one liners, but I was just spanked by the site here for posting too fast and had to sit here and wait before I could submit the post I had typed. Seeing as how you want me to make more posts and be a productive part of the community to help build more indexed pages and assist in some small way in pulling in some revenue to the site, it would be easier for me to do that if there wasn't something slowing me down on purpose.
I totally understand why it is there though, so please do not take this as a complaint, or a request to remove the timer, but simply to adjust it a little bit, and maybe employ some other anti-spam techniques to ensure a healthy board here.
Just a thought.

SHAdmin

Re: Decrease posting delay timer

Post by SHAdmin »

Hi,
Thank you for the suggestion.

Agreed it can get a bit frustrating for the members who are here for genuinely earning hosting out of good posts. However, currently running PHPBB, there are limited measures you can take in order to curb spam.

The next version of PHPBB is just round the corner and would be bringing up some new spam preventing features. May be we can look into your suggestion once the new version is released and we have upgraded to the same.
Xception

Post by Xception »

Cool. Yeah when I ran phpbb I had to be vigilant in the fight against spam, I think I ended up buying a 3rd party plugin. It's been a while since I ran a forum though.
Does this time limit apply to your account too?
Maybe there's a way to allow a certain usergroup to bypass or alter the time limit, thereby allowing manual approval into said usergroup when it's decided by administration there is no risk of spam, and then of course if abused you'd be able to downgrade the user again...
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Yep, we had started assigning members to user groups as well... but what happened then was even worse.

People would come to participate in free domain name competitions, post a "thank you" on each thread and make the moderators work to keep warning them that a senseless "thank you" is not a meaningful post either!

Just hoping the new version PHPbb gets something good in terms of fighting spam
Xception

Post by Xception »

They should add a minimum character count feature that won't allow a post under x characters....
RTpab

-

Post by RTpab »

I think in a couple of weeks time once they die down if they die down we should allow posting on them. Right now, there are way too many and we should focus on the current members and getting to know one another rather than future ones.