IPod Nano

I believe that iPods are like a new generation for music!!
emsplanet

IPod Nano

Post by emsplanet »

I've been eager to test the all-new iPod Nano ever since I attended the launch here in Mumbai and held one for the first time. Some of you may be aware that I’m not particularly fond of the iPod, but something about the newer crop, including the Touch, appeal to me. I still hate that most of the time I’m restricted to using iTunes, but nevertheless I got my hands on the Nano. And let me tell you, I had quite a time!

Form Factor
I totally love the new and improved design. It’s really slim with a great 2-inch, 320 x 240 pixel resolution display. Apple has made sure that it fits the profile of a perfect workout device, with dimensions of 2.75 x 2.06 x 0.26 inches and a weight of just 49.2 grams.

Even with Coverflow technology and new features and games, the product looks familiar. If you’ve seen one iPod before you’ve pretty much seen them all, eh? And so, the essential iPodness has been retained with the wheel and the product finish. The Hold switch is located at the bottom.
Features and Performance
Music and Video
Sometimes I wonder why manufacturers make audio devices with EQ presets that make negligible difference to the sound. Apple’s iPod doesn’t really need EQ presets. What I would have liked is a customizable option. Nevertheless the sound quality is better than plain old 'good'. It's an iPod after all.

If you haven’t converted your files to their optimum quality and are picky about sound quality, you may have a problem. If the file is optimized it should sound brilliant, right? If I have to use software like iTunes to transfer my files I expect my music to sound out at the same level. Sadly it only transfers the files and details like album art. I did like the sound though – it was loud and clear and so much better with another set of earphones.
You can also use Winamp to transfer files – but make sure that iTunes is not simultaneously running. One problem I faced is that even though I used iTunes to transfer most of my music, for some strange reason a few songs refused to play. Unfortunately I have no explanation for this.

Far be it from me to poke fun at Apple or any its proprietary products, but come on! iTunes may be a formidable software for your iPod when it comes to file transfer and organization, but the fact that it would take, oh, let’s say forever, to convert a video for the iPod makes it a sucky software.

The Nano doesn’t really make watching videos too easy – though the screen may be larger than in the older version, it's still too darn small. Also, most of the videos get converted to a 16:9 format so you end up with an even smaller visual. That’s plain annoying.
Other features
One interesting thing about the Nano is the new Nike+ feature that's really useful if you’re into running to keep fit. But you'll have to be a real enthusiast to invest in a pricey pair of shoes and spend another Rs 2000 for the Nike + iPod kit.

Other features like contacts and a calendar option with schedules could come in handy if you don’t have your phone around and you need to get someone’s number or email address. There’s also an alarm function that I think is pretty much useless unless you happen to be wearing the earphones all the time – including when you’re asleep. A World Clock comes in handy when you’re traveling.

Aside from all that, the best feature about the Nano are the new games. Solitaire (or should I say Klondike) really helps to pass the time on long commutes. Although Vortex is a little over the top, it’s still an awesome way to while away lonely hours. The iPod quiz has been around for a long time in most of the devices, and the more music you have only makes it more fun.
The battery, as in any Apple product, is great. I had no issues with it whatsoever. On a single charge, I simply left it on for the day, and hey, it may not have given me 24 hours of music playback like the site says, but I clocked it at 22.5 hours, which is not bad AT ALL!

The bottomline
The iPod Nano, which is available in various colors and in two models of 4GB and 8GB, is actually available at four different prices. The official price is Rs 8,800 for the 4GB and Rs 11,400 for the 8GB, which I feel are way too high. In the gray market you'll end up paying Rs 6,100 and Rs 8,100 respectively, so that's a bargain.

If you’re into jogging, check out the armband accessory. And if you’re really really into working out, you might want to consider the Nike+ Kit. They make great enhancements, though the price is high.
All said, if you happen to be an iPod user, the upgrade is definitely worth it. Even if you're not it's still a great option at that price. The sound quality is good, there are plenty of great features, and though watching videos is iffy at best, that’s only a small drawback. Go for it!

REVIEWED BY: CYBER EDGE

iBye

Post by iBye »

Nice review, I like the design on that iPod, also the cool jogging kit. 4GB and 8GB is too low for me though but nice anyway.
Tired of Newbies asking Questions? Tell them www.UseGoogleFFS.com
Alwahsh

Post by Alwahsh »

thanks for that review , this ipod is great really , for iBye , for me 4 GB is enough .
I got my Power Package
My website is here
My Forum is here
:D:D:D:D
Maddi_Jane

Post by Maddi_Jane »

my favorite! i wish i can have one in the future :P