Operating systems

General discussion regarding computers can be carried out here.
rumman

Microsoft Windows Operating System Problem

Post by rumman »

I would say that you should not wait for the new Windows Vista to come out, and then buy a computer made for that specific operating system. The reason is because Microsoft always has some kind of problems and errors in their Windows which take extra 6 months to fix. I would recommend that you rely on Windows XP (now that it is more stable) or Windows 2000. I personally feel that Intel is better than AMD. The only reason is because Intel sounds more professional, and it is a major brand. A lot of people use Intel chips rather than AMDs.

kaos_frack

Post by kaos_frack »

insane wrote:Cool, you guys got to beta. But I have XP, and works fine for me. Don't need Vista. But too many viruses and stuff...
the same with me
what's so special with Vista?
Remore

Post by Remore »

Linux, its the best thing for a simple minded person like myself, right up there with Windows 95 o_O
The best word in the english language...

meh
kassandora8

Post by kassandora8 »

suse..anybody expert on this one?
iPod Wizard

Post by iPod Wizard »

I'm not a expert but does the beta rly work?
j0sh4tran

Post by j0sh4tran »

I use Windows XP home office :) its quite good, never had any problems with it
elicoten

Post by elicoten »

I use Windows XP on my computers. I have Windows 98 on my olders computers (they are so old they won't run 2000).

How do you get the BETA vista? (Not that I'm planning to - I've heard too many bad things about it - like resource consumption).

I wish I could learn linux quicker - but for me thats a bit more of a dream than a reality. Windows has too much software available compared to any other OS for me to consider changing.
breeze

Post by breeze »

What's so good about windows Vista (codename: "longhorn") is that it looks a bit better than XP (lol), that and it adds a few minor changed like an improved parental control featutre and the like, some of which will be no good to some of us.
This is a message, a message from the all-mighty (me): You shall go here, you shall not complain: Breeze's Corner.
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Windows Vista the complete version will run on a whole new level for operating systems. Yes the resource comsumption will be a bit high but you can modify your settings to reduce this comsumption. Vista will no longer use the Standard Windows format, the graphical options will be enhanced such as clear windows, you can see through the windows but not the main window of it, such clear parts will be the place where File - Edit - Veiw and that section but the section you see this won't be, the screen savers will be more advanced, your media center such as Windows Media Player will be advanced in skins and much more. It will be overall the best Operating System yet, and I will be amung the first to purchase it.

For now I use Windows XP Home Edition, and once Vista is released this stupid Activation will no longer be required for windows xp, meaning multiple installations ( hopefully, it's a rumor but still possible ).
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
ddarude

Post by ddarude »

I stick with FreeBSD, it's stable, fast, and easy update through ports. The drawback is just there are no new games can be run. So I use windows just for gaming purpose :)