request for Less Obtrusive Ads

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
Alwahsh

Post by Alwahsh »

I can see no obstructive ads , where is that ad scrolling with you ??
the problem is in the intext ads , it makes surfing the forum uncomfortable , but I disagree with the idea of removing ads , because you get many free services , not only the free hosting, there is a lot of contests that give you free domains , so some annoyment will not hurt .

I got my Power Package
My website is here
My Forum is here
:D:D:D:D
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Jason wrote:Reason: it's a HUGE pain the ass!!! Which in turn results in negative customer satisfaction, which is what most companies tend to avoid. ;)
It follows you, a least with ads that are embedded within the forum you can scroll away from, but this contextual ad it follows you wherever you go. Further more, it does get in the way but because you can scroll it out of the way it isn't a permanent block, but it still remains that it gets in the way.
Jason, I didnt ask to state whether it is a pain or no, but I was expecting an answer to why is it a pain, coz it is obviously a pain for one who complains.

Secondly, so what if it follows you all along the page, it is not that it is monitoring what you are doing!

Basically what I want to state here is that the point of an advertisement is to gain attention and not to be scrolled out and leave it as an unwanted image! And this 'Contextual ad' perfectly achieves this aim.
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

SHAdmin wrote:Jason, I didnt ask to state whether it is a pain or no, but I was expecting an answer to why is it a pain, coz it is obviously a pain for one who complains.

Secondly, so what if it follows you all along the page, it is not that it is monitoring what you are doing!

Basically what I want to state here is that the point of an advertisement is to gain attention and not to be scrolled out and leave it as an unwanted image! And this 'Contextual ad' perfectly achieves this aim.
Honestly the Contextual Ad doesn't bother me much, but it's really small on my screen. SHAdmin is it set on a size of someone's screen or is it based on a set size?

If it is set I am thinking if you took a little bit of the width from the side of the forums and found ads which were tall instead of wide it could scroll in it's own little box. It wouldn't ever get in the way of the site and would still be just as effective. XD Just an idea.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
thecobra

Post by thecobra »

o guys i just came up for another place where you can post ads in.
you know almost every new person that join this forums doesn't have a signature right? so why not use that and post ads where there is no signature, it wont bother the person because if they want to remove it they just can and because in every thread there at lease one person without signature

tell me what you think
TheCrymsonLegends

Pausible but that would be a flood of ads if too many people don't have a signature or not generate any because everyone makes a signature.

The contextual ad is wonderful as it's always visable, I just think something should be done to make it less obstructive to the forums. There has been a time or two I accidently **** it because I wasn't paying attention. That isn't neccesarily bad lol, but can sometimes prove a bit irritable.

I really think the sidebar with ads that doesn't actually scroll itself would be a neat idea or they are all contextual and scroll with the page. Normally the tall ads are a bit wider which could in a way prove to be a problem but everyone should upgrade to a 22" Widescreen lol. It wouldn't ever bother you again *snickers*. I'm joking about the monitor upgrade.

The more I use smokyhosts the less annoying the ads become in reality. I get use to them being where they are, and work accordingly to avoid ****. Anyone else getting the same reaction towards them?
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
Jason

Post by Jason »

TheCrymsonLegends wrote:The contextual ad is wonderful as it's always visable...
That's exactly why it is crap and obtrusive. You want to get away from ads, not be bothered/hassled by them.
TheCrymsonLegends wrote:There has been a time or two I accidently **** it because I wasn't paying attention. That isn't neccesarily bad lol, but can sometimes prove a bit irritable.
Fine, if customer (or rather user) satisfaction isn't enough for you SHAdmin, how about that? That's a valid reason. It's too close to the scroll bar.
TheCrymsonLegends wrote:Anyone else getting the same reaction towards them?
No, that contextual ad is still bothering me. I've avoided the forums to avoid it, it is that bad. Extremely tacky, too. I mean, the keyword ads are bad enough but at least they're hidden till you go near them. :-/
TheCrymsonLegends

Jason, customer and user satisfaction is really important to smokyhosts. I've been a member for 4 years and even though I do not use my hosting anymore I support Smokyhosts by helping both smokyhosts and the members.

I've always backed suggestions which I felt would be an improvement for both the forums and the members. Before this post was even brought up I made a comment to SHAdmin about the newer ads being a little much. So please don't take a tone with me.

What you need to do is take a different perspective of this situation. The Contextual Ad provides people don't just "ignore" the ads. Which helps gain a little extra to help support the free hosting. So we just need to figure a way to prevent the contextual ad from being a problem.

Now I wouldn't mind the complete removal of it and the in-line ads which generate throughout the pages, but I'm not just here for my satisfaction. If the free hosting takes up more than paid hosting does (which I am sure it doesn't) then SHAdmin is forced to pay out of his own pocket for our free hosting. He is offering ad free hosting where we don't have to place them on our sites in exchange for ads on the forums we use to pay for hosting. Not many hosts offer that, every other host makes you agree to linking ads on your own page.

Yes the ad could be place above the quick reply box, it could be a sidebar, it could be one of many things. Which is why I am trying to get people to post what they would prefer to allow the ads to help pay for what we get for free. Trust me the ads don't generate nothing compared to the cost we rack up if it was paid hosting, but it does help.

So please, post which one of the above you would prefer. Help the discussion get ads placed where we would feel it's not obtrusive.

The worst thing you could do is start something over this because it's a great idea. SHAdmin doesn't even have to care what we think about the ads but he does because our satisfaction (even though we get free hosting) is important to him.

So take a couple breaths and help out. Because trust me, your opinion does matter. The only way it's going to matter more than it would normally is if you post clear headed and not hot headed. If you are hot headed about your posts then it is a negative factor on what you are trying to achieve.

Now once again as I always post in **** like this. My personal opinion of you with the topic is my own personal opinion and in no way reflects smokyhosts. I'm trying to help bridge the gap between user and admin by providing sufficient possibilities for everyone to get heard. If you can't respect that then that is perfectly fine. But when you post about things that alter more than just the community, then do it respectively.

You did great on your first post in the topic and I even commented on it. Yes I know it annoys the crap out of you and if it wasn't so small on my monitor then it would probably annoy the crap out of me too. But let's stay productive, turning this into an argument over ads will not help us in the slightest.

Now if you want to get rid of the Contextual Ad from appearing on your monitor for the page you are looking at. Just **** the X in the top right hand corner. It's not a permanent fix but you won't have problems when scrolling.

Then while people are closing it they can see see and be aware of the ad so that if they choose to **** it, then they can. So for now, just hit the X and give some time to find a better solution. Does that work for you Jason? At least temporarily?

Now my main reason for the In-Line Ads being a problem is they are overpopulated. I'd say 40-65% of what is currently generated would be a little better, but that is just my opinion.

Also, if I misunderstood the tone then please correct me in a PM and I will alter my post. We've gotten along so far and I'd hate a topic to change how people veiw me on this forum, because it's the only forum I present myself respectively.
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Jason wrote:Fine, if customer (or rather user) satisfaction isn't enough for you SHAdmin, how about that? That's a valid reason. It's too close to the scroll bar.
Well, if customer satisfaction is not important for me or for SmokyHosts, then instead of displaying ads on the forums, I would have forced ads into the hosted accounts/pages and kept the forums clean!

Jason wrote:No, that contextual ad is still bothering me. I've avoided the forums to avoid it, it is that bad. Extremely tacky, too. I mean, the keyword ads are bad enough but at least they're hidden till you go near them. :-/
Let me keep things clear here...
If you need to avoid forums just because of ads, then that actually means that if the ads were displayed elsewhere, then you would only know that that image is an ad and you wont even bother to look at it! That only means that the ads are not getting in any revenue to cover up the costs of free hosting! And as I have said even in the past, I am not doing any charity here by providing free hosting. Offering free hosting, I am only helping a few of you to get web space while getting sponsors who could sponsor it for you!
Jason

Post by Jason »

Apparently we're not going to agree on these silly contextual ads, so why not let's compromise? ...allow the user to close it; when **** the cross/close button it stays that way.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Jason wrote:Apparently we're not going to agree on these silly contextual ads, so why not let's compromise? ...allow the user to close it; when **** the cross/close button it stays that way.
By the way, not to sound ungrateful to you SHAdmin, I appreciate your efforts and service ...I just think the contextual ad is taking the advertising a bit too far (the keyword ads are bad enough).