New Computer

All other fun that doesn't go into either of the above categories.
Tails5

New Computer

Post by Tails5 »

Hi everyone, I'm getting a new computer for Christmas. And I just had to come here and post the stats. Tell me what you think.

CPU: AMD Phenom Triple-Core 2.1GHz
Hard Disk: 500GB Western Digital
Graphics: 1GB nVidia 9500GT
RAM: 2GB, expandable to 8GB

If I missed anything you want to know, just post and tell me.

Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

What about the monitor? CRT/LCD? Screen size?
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

LCD, 19" widescreen monitor. I'm not sure what resolution it can hit, but I'll find out in 3 days, when I can pick up the computer.
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Well it seems to be pretty decent. AMD Tripple Core processors are quad cores with one of the cores deactivated. It was an attempt to compete with Intel by offering a mid-selection/price between Dual and Quad Core Processors. I've never seen one in action so I can't quite comment about it.

Oh and by the way do you mind if I jack your thread and post about my new computer too? I will await your answer.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

CPU: AMD Phenom Triple-Core 2.1GHz

Frankly it isn't very attractive to me.
For CPU I'll always stick with Intel since AMD's AM2-and-beyond infrastructure is pretty crap.
How about a 1TB Hard disk? It is pretty cheap now.
9500GT is history friend. Time to think further.
RAM is ok.

All in all, it really depend on how much budget you have and what are you going to use it for. But in my POV, this is far too low.
TheCrymsonLegends

thetarget wrote:CPU: AMD Phenom Triple-Core 2.1GHz

Frankly it isn't very attractive to me.
For CPU I'll always stick with Intel since AMD's AM2-and-beyond infrastructure is pretty crap.
How about a 1TB Hard disk? It is pretty cheap now.
9500GT is history friend. Time to think further.
RAM is ok.

All in all, it really depend on how much budget you have and what are you going to use it for. But in my POV, this is far too low.
Well you have to remember budgets play a huge factor into computers. For that computer I wouldn't pay more than $550 - $650 for it if it comes with a monitor. But that is because I built my brother a computer for only $1,100.

CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz Core 2 Quad
Hard Disk: 640GB Sata2
Graphics: Geforce 9800 GTX+ 512MB (This thing was friggen HUGE!)
Ram: 4 Gigs DDR2 800Mhz
OpSys: 64-Bit Windows Vista Premium Edition
Monitor: 19" Acer Widescreen!

Roughly $1,100 for it. So if he got the comp for $600 with monitor or $500 without monitor he isn't doing too bad. AMD is really good for gaming and Intel is more for processing information. My old 1.6Ghz Single Core Sempron would play World of Warcraft decently, so his computer should do JUST FINE.

So Tails I hope you got a decent deal on the computer, and the triple cores are not too bad themselves. Don't expect games to pick up more than just 2 cores unless you got a newer game which can see multiple cores. The cores do come in handy for gaming + web browsing + Listening to Music all at the same time. Oooh and it's a Phenom (Great Proc) at least it wasn't Second Rate processing (excluding the fact it's AMD which is sometimes compared second rate to Intel, but disregard that.)

Here is a link to your processor Phenom X3 2.1Ghz The only reason people would bash your processor is because it has only 2MB L3 Cache and most Intels have 6MB L2 Cache which makes it better for handling information (databases). AMD is still really good for gaming and if you know how to overclock safely your processor would be even better. (Don't overclock unless you know exactly what you are doing, very unsafe practice.)

So yeah you got a good computer, just hopefully the price justifies it's performance. Basically I hope you didn't just pay a crap load for that computer, since the processor is only $89 a fresh built one with a few minor upgrades would run $600 + S$H. But definitely post up some pictures, and let us know how good it performs. And don't worry I will keep those flamers from bashing at your computer ;).

Note to Flamers: Not everyone has the ability to buy top of the line computers nor the need to do so. If the computer does exactly what he wants it to do then it's a damn good computer, no matter how it performs in line with other computers. Even if he had spent $4864 on the BEST of the BEST (yeah I priced one lol) it would be outdated anyway. Notice the computer I got for my brother, not the best but does exactly what he needs it to do so it's the best computer in the world (in his eyes.)
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

TheCrymsonLegends, please go ahead and hijack the thread, I'd love to see what yours is :p and I'm paying including the monitor about US$633 including the monitor and thanks for the link :).

And thetarget, 500GB is still pretty damn big. Price per gigabyte goes up alot past 500. Also, AMD Phenom is most definitely not crap, the 9500GT can still play any game in existance, but not stuff like Crysis at full quality. Considering that I'm only paying 633, it's a pretty good deal, no?
TheCrymsonLegends

Tails5 wrote:TheCrymsonLegends, please go ahead and hijack the thread, I'd love to see what yours is :p and I'm paying including the monitor about US$633 including the monitor and thanks for the link :).

And thetarget, 500GB is still pretty damn big. Price per gigabyte goes up alot past 500. Also, AMD Phenom is most definitely not crap, the 9500GT can still play any game in existance, but not stuff like Crysis at full quality. Considering that I'm only paying 633, it's a pretty good deal, no?
Yeah and it even sat in the price I figured out in my head. Depends on the size of the monitor and type.

My computer:
Gateway P-6860 FX Laptop :X
CPU: T9550 2.5Ghz Core 2 Duo
Ram: 4GB DDR2 633Mhz (not exact)
HD: 320GB Sata2
Graphics: 512MB Geforce 8800GT Mobile
Monitor: 22" Sceptre Widescreen LCD

This thing SCREAMS! It's not as bombing as the one I bought for my brother but it does exactly what I want it to and it's completely mobile. YAY.

Yeah your comp isn't bad for the price and unless you didn't customized the computer the only way you would get 640GB in a hard drive is to pay $10 more. 500GB is more than enough and you have upgradable options. When he needs more room he can opt for another 500GB HD or higher if the price allows it. So it's a great buy.

Now the main question is do you have 64-Bit Vista? It's much more stable.

@thetarget: I'm not hating on you cause I know you are a reputable member here. So hopefully you don't take any of it personal. Based on price/value/need I posted my opinion. If you base it off of the top notch computer then no it doesn't stand a chance but you still have to admit it was on hell of a computer back in it's day :P.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

I have 32bit Vista, but I'll be buying 64bit Vista as soon as I have the cash.
TheCrymsonLegends

The only reason I prefer 64-Bit over 32-Bit is because it's more secure which avoids any changes to the main infostructure through involuntary file changes due to viruses. You cannot load unsecure drivers which means you have to be sure everything you have, has a 64-bit signed driver.

Any 32-bit game will work as long as you load it into the 32-bit program files so that their files will act proper. If you cannot get a game to install on 64-bit then install it on a 32-bit operating system and move the folder into your 86x Program File Folder. It should work from then on.

Most people complain about Vista but I have never had a single problem with it.

P.S. Don't let 64-bit come before anything else you would like. 32-Bit Vista is still pretty good as long as you don't bypass any of it's security features. It can go a long way and you only need to get 64-bit if you plan on running 4GB or more of RAM. So do the other things you need before getting it, cause it will still be great.