New Computer

All other fun that doesn't go into either of the above categories.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

Would you explain to me what 'Any 32-bit game will work as long as you load it into the 32-bit program files so that their files will act proper' means? Is there a seperate Program Files folder for 32bit apps? And I'm not sure my printer has a 64bit driver... It's a Stylus C43 from Epson

Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Yeah for 64-Bit there is two separate Program folders one for x86 and one for x64. Vista 64 is pretty good with backwards compatibility with programs but not so well with drivers for hardware.

Sometimes Vista either 32 or 64 bit will not let the Auto-Run feature or Installer to work, so installing the program on another computer than transferring it over allows it to work. It's very rare and normally happens on really old programs but sometimes we still enjoy them older games and we want to play them.

That help you out any?
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
Alwahsh

Post by Alwahsh »

maybe it helped him , but didn't help me , do you mean if a game didn't work in win vista X64bit , I have to move it to the x86 program files folder , even if it was on another hard driver ?? , you know red alert total destruction ?? I can't run it , do you have a way to make it run ??
I got my Power Package
My website is here
My Forum is here
:D:D:D:D
TheCrymsonLegends

I've never heard of that particular Red Alert game but I'm going to give what I believe is the method of getting it to work, hopefully it works.

If you are running 64-Bit Version of Vista and you've installed the game without any issues then move it to the x86 Folder and then right **** on it's .exe file, select Properties. Go to compatibility and choose it to run what the game was created for.

If you are moving it from a 95,98, Me, 2000, XP, or Vista 32 Bit Program File Folder on another Harddrive or have never installed it on the computer through Vista then move it to the x86 Program File Folder and right **** on it's .exe, select Properties, and choose Compatibility. Select it to run with the operating system which the game was designed to run with and try to launch the game.

Note: Running it under Administration will result in better chances of the game actually running.

Note: Some games require certain drivers which do not come with your operating system at all therefore those games will be inable to run on the computer.

Note: I have played the first Red Alert on an XP System (Not Vista) but I couldn't install the game directly on XP.

Note: If you have a shortcut and a normal .exe you have to set both of them to run in the compatibility mode for the Windows Version it was designed to run with.

Note: Vista does have compatibility mode for anything up to Windows 95.

Note: Most games were designed for 800x600 and will look horrible on anything else. Same with the games which only run at 1024x768 (granted your monitor is at a higher resolution than them.) To get the games to look proper you have to run them in windowed mode or get a normal monitor to run them. Widescreen will stretch any 800x600 game way beyond it's normal design.

Note: Age of Empires and Command and Conquer (earlier versions) were designed on the principal that the highest resolution was 1024x768 and you cannot scroll in and out.

Sorry about all the notes but when I played Red Alert 1 on my XP computer it looked like crap in 1024x768 and I could imagine it looking worst on a widescreen. Normally games will only be at the max resolution they are set at but once you get use to the games which let you scroll out for a wider view it's rough going back to the other games.

Hopefully this will allow it to run on your computer, if it's along with Red Alert 1 and it's expansions I would try Windows 95 compatibility. Any game/program not designed for the 64-bit processing will never run in 64-bit mode. They must be in the x86 (32-Bit Folder) to be ran in 32-Bit Mode. Let me know if this worked, that way other people can use it and I can make a how-to out of it.

Edit: If your monitor is bigger than 15" running an older game designed for Windows 95 and 98 then you are better off running it in Windowed Mode. They should have the ability to do so. If not, when playing, go into your monitor settings through the controls on the monitor and shrink the visual outcome of your monitor to an acceptable level. This will allow you to see the game for what it is truly meant to be. XDXD Hopefully it's a success.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

hey, i just installed, played, and uninstalled red alert 1 in the last 1 hour :D

you have to run Win95 compadability mode. I know this is abit off topic, but this is the only thing I derive after reading a large chunk of text above mine. lol No offense.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

Thanks Crymson, I havent noticed any games getting pwnd by my monitor, but then again, they all support 1440x900 so far. SO I just use that, I'll keep what you said about window mode in mind incase I run into any problems.
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
TheCrymsonLegends

thetarget wrote:hey, i just installed, played, and uninstalled red alert 1 in the last 1 hour :D

you have to run Win95 compadability mode. I know this is abit off topic, but this is the only thing I derive after reading a large chunk of text above mine. lol No offense.
This will be short and sweet, >.< Evil!

Yeah basically that is the short form, I just love to type a lot.
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

Tails5 wrote:Thanks Crymson, I havent noticed any games getting pwnd by my monitor, but then again, they all support 1440x900 so far. SO I just use that, I'll keep what you said about window mode in mind incase I run into any problems.
Cool! 1440 x 900 resolution you can practically turn off FSAA.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

FSAA? Is that anti-aliasing, or am I missing something?
TheCrymsonLegends

Tails5 wrote:FSAA? Is that anti-aliasing, or am I missing something?
Yes is it Full Screen Anti-Aliasing. If you have a monitor above 1440x900 you could display an image or game at 1440x900 which will run smoother and quicker than if you had it on full screen. You wouldn't need FSAA because you wouldn't be running it on FS Mode if it was in Windowed Mode.

World of Warcraft is set to 1440x900 in Windowed Mode atm, my resolution is 1680x1050 so I require less from my graphics card to run something smaller than the default resolution. I get an increase in FPS and no ugly lockups in image quality.

I could be wrong with all of this but if you have a 17" Monitor, it doesn't really matter what resolution you have the 17" of screen is still consumed in gameplay. The difference is how many pixels are being rendered to show the same object. The more pixels, the better quality. Unfortunately when playing full screen the images can still be stretched and with FSAA you can get a fuzzy look to things.

And that is primarily why I love playing in windowed mode, better quality graphics with less work from my Card. You can turn on more features and it won't lag your system like if you were in full screen mode.

If I am wrong please someone correct me, that is pretty much the only reason I could think of turning FSAA off, is if you don't play FS Mode.