Contest Possibility - Please Read

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
TheCrymsonLegends

Contest Possibility - Please Read

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

I have been speculating a possible contest to hold for all the programmers, designers, and it offers a wide variety of things to do. With the contest comes prizes which range from small to large. I've gotten the permission to host the contest but first I need a couple suggestions in which would make this contest more available and possibly end in a perfect result.

My Idea: The idea is to host a huge event to build a website by the entire community. Scripts, Graphics, and **** Flash programming would be used and prizes would be given to each individual piece. The problem is the website itself, it is kind of heavily demanded on great coding and strict php/mysql relationships.

The Website: A huge site to host many other websites in order to connect all the Airsoft players of America to Events, Arenas, Stores, and even other players. I have worked on a HTML representation of the website which can be found HERE. That is only the beginning because of the Administration Sections which are needed and four (4) other layouts which are to be used for the events, arenas, stores, and squads.

I'm not going to lie it is a cheap way to get what I want done and help everyone here get things they either cannot get due to some reason or just give someone something which they could use. There will not be any points for prizes and if I can I will try to prevent any points being needed to redeem your winnings. The only thing I am concerned of is I am very picky on how I want this website to turn out to and I do not know if getting many people to work on one website will get it to the way I want it to be. Check out the website and see if maybe it is possible to do what I want and for the Theme I want a nice digital ACU (Army Combat Uniform) look with flash logo, great coded blocks, and all of it to be one thing. I'm going to be working on the rest of the HTML Example of the website but if enough people think it is possible then I will go ahead with the contest.

I think one of the biggest problems will be the Zip Code section of the website to give the site a nice search feature. The biggest thing about the site and it all revolves around distance from each individual player to give them ideas of things they can do within a certain distance from them.

Prizes have not been set in stone and I won't take any ideas of what to give out but everything will be worth what the event is. So please let me know what you think and within maybe two weeks this contest may open up and everyone can start on earning free gifts.

Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
TheCrymsonLegends

One more thing I need is some suggestion on how to make a contest out of this. I mean working on a website takes a bunch of work and if I set a prize for each script or page then things could get really expensive but I've got a general idea of what I would like to pay out for the complete project.

I've thought of getting a team and at the end of the project then give out prizes for payment to the team only because it's going to be kind of difficult to take more than one entry per event. If I was looking for a logo or a single script then it would not be so bad but this is a bit bigger than that.

Besides figuring out how to make this a contest I just don't know if enough people will get interested to helping build the website for such an event. But if the contest is a go ahead there is one thing I will do and be proud of. The entire staff (everyone who participates) will be on a list of the thank you page with a nice footer note of "This website was created by the Smokyhosts Community". Also the website will only be hosted on Smokyhosts no matter how big it gets and the bigger the website gets and the more successful the website gets you will always have a good feeling that you helped bring something to life.

For those who don't know Airsoft is a Simulation of Military Combat, a bunch of grown people running around shooting each other with Plastic BBs. Tactics and real military skill are exercised to become more successful in the battlefield. Airsoft is also used by Law Enforcement and the Military to train their skills in a real simulation of what they could occur. Mostly Close Quarters Combat they are able to hone their skills to give them a better ability to survive in those situations.

Bringing people together who are avid Airsofters will allow it to survive and will increase business for many stores, events and arenas. Prices for advertisement websites at my website will be low and affordable which will entice people to come. Since gas prices are getting really high people are going to be less likely to travel to find places to play and the website will connect everyone to everything in their area.

I really want to start the website out by helping you guys and gals here at Smokyhosts and by helping you all I am able to help out SHAdmin just the same. Since the contest is held by someone outside the site he only benefits to all the prizes which are handed out. Giving you guys and gals prizes will help you all out too and a site helping everyone from birth is not just any site but something special.

I cannot do this website on my own and from what I have seen from this community shows a lot of talent and potential. So what do you all say? Do we want a contest to build a website to unify the community even more than what it already is? I know you all want to suggest prizes so you can but don't get too carried away with it. You not only get to help in the contest but we get to decide how it will be.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

This is a very noble idea and i must say that i am very proud to have you as a member of SmokyHosts.com

I was also thinking since long ago about putting up a featured websites section on the SmokyHosts.com Homepage. And i must say, now is a great chance for me to start off with, by putting up your website in the featured websites section once your website design is completed. This way, you will get some free promotion for your website, and will also make Smokyhosts.com a proud host of your website!
TheCrymsonLegends

Thank you for this, it means a great deal. You wouldn't happen to know how to get this in a contest type thing would you? You can reply in PM or on here but it is an issue which I am giving two weeks to come up with so that I can actually start the competition up nicely.

Also I am glad to be able to give back to the community, after almost 3 1/2 years of being here and having no real issues I'm just happy to help out in any way possible.

Edit: I just got confirmation on potential prizes which will be awarded in the project. Domains from .info to .com, Package Upgrades and these are not small upgrades it's a 5GB Space+5GB Bandwidth package which is upgraded from what you already have. Reseller accounts for up to a year and the winners of these will get another surprise once they redeem the prize. Hopefully there are some people interested because well I want the site up so bad and I'm anxious to help out around here.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Grrr! I just typed out a long lengthy post and then I go and lose it by accidentally **** a link. :mad:

Nice move. :)

I personally am having difficulty working out a fair way of developing a contest out of this. Usually, a contest like this is done by the contest holder outlining a few requirements and then people go on and do their own thing, and by a deadline return with some results, however, since you want to work closely with the participants this cannot be done.

I initially thought that people do communicate with you and you give participants roles within the website but:
A) - You will have to be around a lot in order to answer questions and give feedback ...which is clear that you aren't available often.
B) - Things would have to be synchronised extremely well in order for things to run smoothly and their be no clashes/over-laps ...which is even more time consuming.
C) - There'd have to be one place where all the participants can chat (preferably live chat) ...to discuss ideas and ways in which things can be synchronised.
D) - There'd need to be a lot of participants in order to give fair roles otherwise some will be forced to do more work, thus having to contribute more.
E) - We all have different skill sets so how can everyone get a fair chance in contributing? (e.g. I only know (x)HTML, CSS but I know there's others who know PHP and JavaScript on top of that)
F) - How are the prizes going to be judged? ...I had thought: the biggest contributor would receive the #1 prize but then how could the "biggest contributor" be judge fairly? Here's the dilemma: say someone goes off and spends a fair while of his or hers time creating a professional piece of flash work and does it quietly, yet, there's some loud mouth that's always communicating with you and contributes say a page of the website but seems like a lot because: A) it's a page of the website B) he/she is always in your face communicating with you so it feels like he/she is there helping you a lot more.

OK, it seems like I am just putting obstacles in the way but with the way you want to do things it, in my eyes at least, seems like a hard way of making a competition out of.

...and then there's back to the original method (spoke of in first paragraph) but that's a lot of work to be giving some people.

I'll go away and have a think on this. Plus, others can feedback on the problems and eventually something can be worked out I am sure, not to mention others may actually have an idea of how a fair competition can be made out of this.
TheCrymsonLegends

Well it isn't that I am not easily available but I currently am on orders for the Army but it's mostly only weekends.

The biggest contributor sounds like a good plan but like you stated would be hard to judge and honestly the theme I want would be the biggest contribution because of how much will go into it. I'm with you on this isn't an easy task to put into a contest but more of a project which many people can work on.

I've been thinking of how to do this for months now and I still have not found a valid way to do it. I really want to help the community but then again I really want to get a professional team to build it much more efficiently. I'm going to think about a couple things maybe there is a way to host a more effective competition and get a professional team to build the website so that I can do both. We shall see, hope to hear some more suggestions and nice work on a full post.. I don't see many of them around lol.

EDIT: Just got a universal CSM which allows individual scripts to be placed in and it automatically accepts them. Not to sure how much different from the current one it will be but it's a better start. I'm still working on a method to allow people to participate in the project and earn rewards in a fair manner. I'm just hoping enough people would be interested to make it worth while.

2nd Edit: I think the major problem is the site has to be done in conjunction with one another. If people are working on individual portions with their own coding style then the code may not match up to give a proper result. Dang I really want to host a contest, event or something to help out but my head is blank as heck.
TheCrymsonLegends

I seem to have lost the Edit Option but I believe I am going to hire someone to code the website so I have brought some better competition material to the board. I will talk with SHAdmin and have the contests posted properly and then it will begin. The competition will last until the site has been finished and will start once the job has been accepted.

Current Competitions!

Event 1: Company Name
Event 2: Company Slogan
Event 3: Company Logo
Event 4: Site Header Image

Upcoming Events!
Scripts in whatever language you want to use (permitted it is compatible with the rest of the code.)

Current Prizes!
Third Place - Domain Name (.info to .com depending on grade of work.)
Second Place - Hosting Package Upgrade (Six Months to a Year depending on grade of work.)
First Place - Both Hosting Package Upgrade and Domain Name for a year.

Grand Prize - Domain Name and Beginner Reseller's Package for a year. (Possibly given to a graphics artist but not 100% guaranteed to whomever I see has put heart into what event they work on. Could also be given to anyone who wins more than one event.

The Scripting Prizes will only be Upgrades or Domains unless it is a complex script. Also the winner of whom wins the Reseller's Package will receive another great bonus compliments of SHAdmin.

This is the only way I can do this. Do not start posting anything until the actual competition posts have been made. You can come up with anything but please post on the actual ones only.

The starting date should be Monday 4 August 2008, which gives some people some time to get a head start. Unfortunately the information for the header image will not be given out until then along with the explanation of what is wanted. I'm just glad I can bring something to the board to help the community and Smokyhosts.
Jason

Post by Jason »

What now? :confused:
What is the actual competition then? :confused:
TheCrymsonLegends

What I posted above, like I said I will be posting a more efficient post for each contest. Now I know that the coding portion of the event has not been posted which is going to be tricky simply because someone else is building the site, but certain scripts will need to be coded up.. which gives opportunities.

Since I realize there are many different files which can be coded so any scripts which make it's way into the competition can be written in any code which the coder is comfortable with. This opens the competition up to more possibilities. Basically if an ASP coder wants to code it in ASP they can along with the same for PHP Coders.

But basically the site isn't the only thing needed but a company name, slogan, logo and site header image are all needed. These 4 competitions give an actual competition instead of so many people working on a project.

I just couldn't find any other way to do this so I took the only route possible :). You understand now? If not I will go into more explanation.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

That sounds great, and I'd love to participate (The prizes are also pulling me in :P)
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti