Sorting out the How To forum

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
thetarget

Sorting out the How To forum

Post by thetarget »

Mods

Do you think sorting our the how to section is a good idea?
It is now, like a library with books of all category lump together (sorry can't find a better way to describe it), not appealing at all.

SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

True as you said.

The actual idea was to collect some good "How To"'s and finally make it into a wiki. Once all those "How To"'s go into a wiki, it will then be easier to find and use them.
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

Yeah sure. I'm sure there are some duplicates..

How many how-tos to start the wiki?

Let me know if i can help.
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

The current number of 'How To''s are enough. The wait is only till i get some time to sort them out and convert them into wiki.
iBye

Post by iBye »

Haha, cool. Wikismoke :) That sounds pretty cool.
Tired of Newbies asking Questions? Tell them www.UseGoogleFFS.com
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Smokin'Wiki sounds like something bad but has a nice ring to it. That is a great idea SHAdmin. I personally don't like the way some Wiki's are made up but anything to be able to sort through them all would be really nice!

Thetarget, even though SHAdmin has already thought of the Wiki thank you for the suggestion. It was a very good one and I'm surprised now that I think of it that it wasn't previously posted. Thanks again... Can't wait for the Wiki!
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

That's a great idea :) Once there's a wiki though, how will we submit new "How-To"s? Just by creating a new Wiki Page?
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

I think we would submit like how we are doing it currently. Then let the Admin decide whether to hook it up.
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

I believe thetarget would be correct as the only way for SHAdmin to make sure people got credit for the How-To's would to leave it being admitted on the forums. Also he may want some things organized in a certain way which I know he would do it greatly... so yeah I don't see the submitting how-to's changing from the way they currently are.

On another note with the wiki being a compiled group of how-to's from Smokyhosts people will now be able to quickly run across it from various places instead of just here on smokyhosts. So now every one's how-to's will be able to span to help more people which will be a great thing! Good job to everyone who has posted one and hope to see more useful how-to's in the future. Cause I've used a couple of them to learn things lol.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
delivi

Post by delivi »

I think having a Wiki for How To's is a good idea, but this will drastically affect the number of users coming to the forums looking out for solutions from the search engines.