Suggestion for having theme selection options

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
Flipper3

Suggestion for having theme selection options

Post by Flipper3 »

TheCrymsonLegends wrote:The only problem with that is when he goes to add new modifications to a theme he would have to add it to every theme he has. Sometimes that can get pretty hectic if time is short and there are 20 some odd themes.
Well, SHADmin doesn't need 20 themes. Just 2 or 3 would be nice. Maybe advanced users could only get these extra themes? Maybe they can cost points and a certain activity level is needed?

(Should I may a new topic for this so as to not get off topic?)

Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

Yeah, I like that idea, if you have enough points you can 'buy' another theme to be able to choose from! And only have a few available so it's not too much trouble adding a modification. And it's still technically about "SmokyHosts New Look" Let's just not go off into a completely different topic... like "Cats are fluffy"
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Hi Flipper3, i have created a new thread for your suggestion. However let me first put a few facts together....
  • Currently there are about 12 addons on the current forums along with many edits to fit it the google ads and the inclusion of more themes will only mean making all those changes for the ads and addons on the new theme(s).
  • This doesnt stop here, as and when vbulletin upgrades are released (usually once every 2 months), all the ads and addons need to be applied manually all over again and this will again meand doing all this not for one but all the themes!
  • It is not very easy to always find a template that will match the overall look of the site. Even last time when i had requested the members to find templates that they liked (on one other thread), none of the members bothered to post even one link to a template!
  • Finally, even if i do consider to offer new template options, it will not be done before the February 2008.
Flipper3

Post by Flipper3 »

When I saw this topic created by me, at first I thought that somebody must have hacked my account since I hadn't made it; then I realized that you must have split the other topic. :P

Back on topic.....12 add-ons is a lot. May I ask what these are? I never knew that there were so many. :(

So maybe only one extra theme would be nice?

I think that the main reason why many templates were not posted is because we didn't know where to look. Do you have any suggestions on where we can possibly look?

Thanks for taking this into consideration. :)
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Honestly SHAdmin I have to agree with Flipper I have seen so many sites for phpbb themes but not very many for VB. Since you use VB none of the phpBB themes I would of ever run across would of worked properly with this board.

Maybe you could charge us to implement the code so we can get more themes, yeah you read it. Each member could pay points to implement the 12 add-ons in a theme of their choice to be able to select from the list. Each member who takes up on this offer gets their personal liking of a theme and the rest of the members get to choose from a wide variety and it would take off a ton of work from you ever having to touch the themes.

This could be a win/win situation as members who get enough points would obviously semi know what they are doing and if not they could pay someone else to implement the add-ons into the theme. It shouldn't be that hard to add little bits of code into a theme, I've done it numerous times and I suck at php.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Sorry TheCrymsonLegends, but i cannot offer the design of the main forums itself to the members. vBulletin permits the use of php code in themes and you know how insecure a php code can be if someone actually wishes to damange things!

If ever it comes to offer choice of themes, it will be me who will customise the addon codes and insert it into the theme.
Flipper3

Post by Flipper3 »

I don't even think that TheCrymsonLegends idea would even be possible since aren't some of the add-ons necessary like the points system?
TheCrymsonLegends

They are Flipper that was why I suggested members implementing the add-ons directly to the themes themselves. But as SHAdmin suggested it wouldn't be advisable.

I'm just trying to think of ways to make theme implementation a lot easier on you, SHAdmin, in order to get more overall themes. I know how much of a pain getting new themes are when I added mods to phpbb in Nuke Evo so I share your concern for multiple themes.

But for a final suggestion I guess you could always ask a well trusted member of the forum to do it and pay that member in points per theme which was selected by the members for implementation lol.

While none of my ideas seem usable I'm just attempting to come up with a few that may eventually work because selecting from a wide range of themes would be awesome, that way your default theme could be professional and those of use who are not professional could have some pretty cool themes. This suggestion may never hold or take place but would be awesome.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

I agree, this would be great. I do see the security implications in allowing members to do that stuff, but if you picked a trusted member(Like CrymsonLegends said,) or a few trusted members to be able to do it, that could work :)
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
TheCrymsonLegends

Still could pose a possible security risk, and if one bit of code was implemented incorrectly then the board would be shut down on that particular theme until it was addressed but it was still a great idea to converse over, just have to find more plausible suggestions for future topics to discuss and hopefully get implemented.