Looking for help.

Any problem with PHP can be disscused here
TheCrymsonLegends

Looking for help.

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

I'm attempting to build a pretty comprehensive website and well let's just say I am probably not even moderately well at programming php/mysql.

I can code html pretty darn well, and if I don't know something it's easy to find tutorials on the tags I need to learn more about. As for php there aren't many tutorials on creating scripts, or for mysql databasing with actual things.

I am in need of assistance for a couple of things which will help me jump start my website so that it doesn't cost as much to get professionally coded.

I'm trying to create a secure log-in script with administration and admin modules. Once I create that I should have some pretty decent knowledge of the whole mysql side of things, so would anyone want to help me create a log-in script? I would use other scripts but I really don't know how to tie them into the rest of the pages.

Also would anyone know how to code a function to search a specific folder for other folders to add to a list for modules? I want to code everything so that if I add an extra page it will automatically find it instead of me having to recode to give it's existence. Also I want to be able to hide it from members, anonymous, and have the choice to activate or deactivate the modules. Sounds like a bunch of work, and it will be but I want to actually learn how to code so that I can do things myself. So I need someone who is willing to explain how to do things in a way that I can grasp it. Thanks if anyone actually decides to give up their time to help me out.

Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/php-mysql-tutorial and http://www.sitepoint.com/article/users- ... ions-mysql might help, they helped me with a project I'm working on. Hope they help, and sorry I can't help more.
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
Lixas

Post by Lixas »

TheCrymsonLegends wrote: Also would anyone know how to code a function to search a specific folder for other folders to add to a list for modules? I want to code everything so that if I add an extra page it will automatically find it instead of me having to recode to give it's existence.
read all sub-folders in your folder, use loop for checking directories names. for example:

[php] $dir = "/modules/";//folder of your modules
if (!($dp = opendir($dir))) die("cant open modules folder: <u>$url</u>");
while ($file = readdir($dp))
$dirnames[] = $file;
closedir($dp);
sort($dirnames);
for ($i = 0; $i < count($dirnames); $i++)
{
if ($dirnames[$i] != '.' && $dirnames[$i] != '..') //and so on checking...
{
$mods[]=$dirnames[$i];
}
}

print_r($mods); //for testing, what results you have in array of your modules[/php]
TheCrymsonLegends

See that is confusing Lixas. I wouldn't even know what the heck any of that really means, or what it does. From what I see it looks like that would list modules which I suppose is a good thing but how to implement that into a website is beyond my knowledge.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
Lixas

Post by Lixas »

I'm affraid that if you do not know php, it will realy be extremely difficult for you to create such a high level website that you want. I hope you will reach a goal some day, but in first, you should begin with simple (mostly useles) scripts, like loops, directory reading, getting some data from database and so on...
Flipper3

Post by Flipper3 »

Lixas wrote:I'm affraid that if you do not know php, it will realy be extremely difficult for you to create such a high level website that you want. I hope you will reach a goal some day, but in first, you should begin with simple (mostly useles) scripts, like loops, directory reading, getting some data from database and so on...

I agree. However, first you just need to create the basic template and then plan out all of your ideas and then bring it here and I bet that we would all be happy to help with you. :)
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

I know I for one would be happy to help :) I'm learning PHP by making a login/content management system for a friend's site. So far I have everything done except actually displaying the content.
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
TheCrymsonLegends

If you want to see the design template which is just simple tables, simple php, and css but it is a start.

http://www.crymsonlegends.com/airsoft/

It's still a work in progress but I would be using <div></div> tags but I can't really figure out how to style the layout properly using tables as well. But for now it's just for looks, Flipper is going to be helping out but if anyone else wants to lend a couple suggestions I would love it.

Once I get the site layout built then everyone will be able to know what I am looking for without needing a list of features. But for now she's coming along and hopefully flipper won't let me down lol.

I've come to realize that some people on certain resolutions could see my site somewhat differently than originally anticipated, please be aware that this is a simple example webpage which is not intended to be mistaken for the real deal. The final website will be scalable from 800x600 all the way up to including widescreen resolutions. Unfortunately the only way to make 800x600 resolution work is to exclude the side blocks which could take away from the extra features which are intended on being used within the website itself. I have a fair idea that the side blocks will be 150 px wide on both sides on a 1280x800 Widescreen Resolution which on the monitor I have seems to be rather small but sufficient. If they are 150 side on both sides on a 800x600 then only 500px will be shown accorss the screen which could have some odd effects on the frames if they are scalable to fit 100% of the browser screen.

I will be working on this but if you check out the webpage and it looks a bit funny, just let me know and I will try to find a fix for it.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

I really like the look of it. I can't wait till it's finished, I love the colours especially
TheCrymsonLegends

So far I have changed the colors, so it isn't the same anymore. I'm going to start with a log-in/registration/profile script and work out from there. Once the user names are implemented then other things won't be so hard as long as they require users to work.

Hope to get this site up and running within a month or two.