One laptop per child

Show off your ideas!! Here are our future scientists!!
anish

One laptop per child

Post by anish »

This is the laptop created by Nicholas Negroponte. He is the co-founder of the MIT Media library. Well basically he had this idea of allowing children in poverty stricken countries or developing countries to have a laptop that cost only $100 USD. Its really interesting how they were able to produce such a laptop and at a low cost too. The laptops are designed to educate and develop their intellect.
O creates its own mesh network out of the box. Each machine is a full-time wireless router. Children in the most remote regions of the globe—as well as their teachers and families—will be connected both to one another and to the Internet.

It features a 7.5 inch, 1200×900 pixel, TFT screen and self-refreshing display with higher resolution (200 DPI) than 95 percent of the laptops on the market today. Two display modes are available: a transmissive, full-color mode, and a reflective, high-resolution mode that is sunlight readable. Both consume very little power: the transmissive mode consumes one watt—about one seventh of the average LCD power consumption in a laptop; the reflective mode consumes a miserly 0.2 watts.

The laptop selectively suspends operation of its CPU, which makes possible even more remarkable power savings. The laptop nominally consumes less than two watts—less than one tenth of what a standard laptop consumes—so little that XO can be recharged by human power. This is a critical advance for the half-billion children who have no access to electricity.
what's cool is it runs on very little power but yet it has like a camera built in and wifi capability and all these hardware. You can recharge the laptop by some manual labor like cranking some handle for a couple of minutes or whatever.

Here's a link to the site to learn more about the purpose or maybe even look at the specs of this thing.

Guess what its run on Linux OS.

ONE LAPTOP PER CHILD

ag3nt

Post by ag3nt »

Its impossible to all childs get laptop in my city.But i think it must be a crap.I cant buy a good processor for 100$ :P
New And Crazy Member Of SmokyHosts Community

By Ag3nt
damen57

Post by damen57 »

For Poverty Stricken children, it is a good idea.
sakhan

Post by sakhan »

i think it is a really cool idea but don't when it will reach to us
anish

Post by anish »

For gaining this type of facilities for child a huge amount of money is required and the country should be well developed. but it is cool.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

I like the idea, but I prefer windows OSes :)
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
rumman

Post by rumman »

I think that it is a very good thing that the Laptop is running on Linux. This will help diverge Microsoft's market dominance because Linux is open-source, and I think it would be better for big companies to keep focusing on teens and leave the kids out of the business stuff. This laptop has been a good success and I hope it becomes a success in third-world countries. Computers and technology are what the future holds and kids need to learn this stuff.
rupertb

Post by rupertb »

I like it but I wonder why it isn't happening in the states. The US is already far behind with engineers and technology. I think that this laptop thing will only further push us behind.
so...in world war 2..the germans used tanks..and...they were...very important and...they um well they had very hmm i dunno well i had hmm ehh kinda good accuracy

-Rupert Brightener
daddygotech

Post by daddygotech »

What a great invention. Because, very likely, children of poverty-stricken countries would surely want a laptop. It would asses and help in their learning and give them the will to work harder for a better future. However, some renowned figure in a poverty-stricken country proposed that, very similiarly to my assumption: "If you help us, our people, will learn not to become independent, but dependant on your donations, therefore, they will be happy with what they have at present and our country will not prosper if we have lazy people who just feed on your donations".
Though sharp it may seem, i feel that I agree with this renowned figure very much, very much.
bhojoy007

Post by bhojoy007 »

i don't think that every child can have a loptop like that.. well, its depend on the parents i guess..