Why Did You Go Over To Gmail?

General discussion regarding computers can be carried out here.
anish

Why Did You Go Over To Gmail?

Post by anish »

People went over to Gmail in 2005-2006 but why did most of them do that?

Was it because of the GUI?

Was it because people told you about it?

Was it because you got 1GB email which was more than hotmails 20MB service?

Was it because google mail added ads in your emails?

Was it because googe blocks Spam emails/and senders so bad?

Was it because you though it was easy?

Was it because you found out Microsoft owned hotmail?

Was it because you think Hotmail is outdated?

If it wasn't any of the questions above then answer whatever it was that made you change (the ones who did) I myself experienced Gmail as bad service.

1. Whenever I get spam and block the email that sent me spam, gmail told me to wait 1 hour while hotmail worked directly and blocked the user/email.

2. Google has told users that they would install adsense into the emails and GUI which they have, it doesn't look that bad but it can get annoying at times.

4. Spambots worked pretty well with Gmail, I got like 10-50 Spam Emails a day from different emails that I didn't know or heard of before.

5. There Service has a 1GB plan, which is not good since on 1GB you can store a lot of warez music/software/movies/games etc and you can create new accounts for more warez files which is bad.

6. Gmail didn't have a close account feature back then but they've added one now.

7. Hotmail has upgraded their service to 1GB for all accounts and improved their GUI so I've been switching back to Hotmail (and since its more secure you can't store warez there)

ag3nt

Post by ag3nt »

I'm using gmail.Easy,big and rox!
New And Crazy Member Of SmokyHosts Community

By Ag3nt
delivi

Post by delivi »

I'm using GMail since June 2005. I love the sleek interface with no graphics and also the ease of use. I really went after it because it was then offering the highest space for inbox.

I also have a Hotmail Account, eventhough I use Gmail I love Hotmail. The best part of Hotmail is that its spam filters are more strong than that of GMail. I receive an average of 50 spam mails each day, some even skip the spam filter and is displayed in Inbox instead of moviing it to spam folder.

Whereas in Hotmail I seldom get any spam. The inteface is also so good and easy an now the Inbox space is also increased. So now I dont see any reason to say no to Hotmail.
smk

Post by smk »

I just started using Gmail because of the free space...
Cory: Mr. Feeny, under my desk is a key. It opens locker 703 in a Florida station. In there is all my homework from the past 5 years. I'm actually a wonderful student. I listen and I know everything.
Mr. F: What's the capital of Montana?
Cory: You're not going to Florida, are you?
---------------------
Eric: I have a question that I'm going to need a yes or no answer to. How many people get into Yale each year?
Mr. F
: No.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

I went to Gmail for... 1 day, cause my bro told me to, now I'm back at Windows Live Hotmail with 2GB of space :)
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
damen57

Post by damen57 »

I have a gmail account, just to say i Do :P I use WL Hotmail it Looks better and it has a better spam filter which isnt always good but is most of the time.
sakhan

Post by sakhan »

i like gmail because of more space good spam protection and the tools like chat
aalmighty

Post by aalmighty »

chiefly because of the hype really, 1gig was pretty large at the time though.
4ran

Post by 4ran »

welll ... I got a gmail account because it had a large space at that time and because it was much easier to use and so smooth ..
thermal

Post by thermal »

I use Yahoo!, Hotmail and Gmail. My Yahoo! e-mail address is the one I use most. I wanted Gmail badly in 2005 because of its huge (at that time) storage, but now its nothing compared to Yahoo!'s UNLIMITED storage.