Comedy Central

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
Rapboy

Comedy Central

Post by Rapboy »

Wouldn´t it be nice to have a comedy central section, whereby the members can post funny things.
for example:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nn5jlrxcpkI

^ Total Chaos.
Hoping to reach 1,000 post one day on SH
iBye

Post by iBye »

Why not, i could use a laugh sometime:)
Tired of Newbies asking Questions? Tell them www.UseGoogleFFS.com
delivi

Post by delivi »

this is a good idea, but still you can post the funny things you want to share in the entertainment section.
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

This section can be opened up, but the points in this section will not be counted. Because offering points in such section will only mean that people will copy and paste jokes, funny links and finally turn it into some jokes archive, and forums are not meant for that!

Let me know your views....
Segman

Post by Segman »

i think the best is picking jokes :)
mburnz

hmmmmmm

Post by mburnz »

Firstly thanks to Rapboy for introducing me to Russell Peters with that u tube link. He is one funny guy.
Second a note to Shadmin. I understand that you are in the business of providing web hosting and that the provision of 'content' brings the whole exercise to another level. IE It is pointless to compete with your users.. but can I respectfully suggest that this is a worthy suggestion. If a comedy forum turns into an ad hoc comedy archive then so what. If it generates user traffic what other measure of success are you looking for? Why not encourage it?? Disallowing points may be counterproductive. If Rapboy's link is anything to go by then I for one will be a regular visitor...
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

mburnz wrote:Firstly thanks to Rapboy for introducing me to Russell Peters with that u tube link. He is one funny guy.
Second a note to Shadmin. I understand that you are in the business of providing web hosting and that the provision of 'content' brings the whole exercise to another level. IE It is pointless to compete with your users.. but can I respectfully suggest that this is a worthy suggestion. If a comedy forum turns into an ad hoc comedy archive then so what. If it generates user traffic what other measure of success are you looking for? Why not encourage it?? Disallowing points may be counterproductive. If Rapboy's link is anything to go by then I for one will be a regular visitor...
Well i do welcome your suggestion coz even though smokyhosts.com is a webhosting provider, still the forums are very generic, so having comedy central wont take it way out of topic. However there is one thing that will keep me from offering comedy central as a section....

Offering comedy central as a section will mean that members will simply copy and paste jokes from the millions of jokes archives in the world wide web. Doing that will involve too much spamming. And this is not what is expected when you are rewarded for the points that you earn. Genuine topics can be accepted, but spamming will not only spoil the quality of the forums, but will also take up lots of time in deleting it and then deducting the points, and finally banning the user.

If someone can form up some good set of rules to keep users from creating the above problems, then comedy central will be welcome
Flipper3

Post by Flipper3 »

Maybe you can have the jokes forum to not give people points for posting from the start. However, if somebody posts a funny joke and others think that it is funny(as well as you, SHAdmin) then you should credit them points for that joke. This will also stop people from replying to every single thread saying, "Hahaha! Funny!" because that person replying gets no points for that and they would just be helping the first person get points, which is then a waste of a post for the replyer.
mburnz

Post by mburnz »

Flipper3 wrote:Maybe you can have the jokes forum to not give people points for posting from the start. However, if somebody posts a funny joke and others think that it is funny(as well as you, SHAdmin) then you should credit them points for that joke. This will also stop people from replying to every single thread saying, "Hahaha! Funny!" because that person replying gets no points for that and they would just be helping the first person get points, which is then a waste of a post for the replyer.

Having had time to reflect on the 'points per post' issue I have to agree that spamming would be a big problem. The only way awarding points would work is for a trusted moderator to issue same. ie lots of reading and research for some one. The number of unique "haha thats funny" replies (votes) might be used as a guide but these would also need to be vetted. (More work) I don't see much scope for automating this process. Another problem, who want to wade thru loads of inane replies when searching the funnies for a laugh:)

When I am looking for a laugh i won't be at all concerned about originality, what I want is quality! So by all means lets have a comedy section but please no points or voting for same.
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

mburnz wrote:Having had time to reflect on the 'points per post' issue I have to agree that spamming would be a big problem. The only way awarding points would work is for a trusted moderator to issue same. ie lots of reading and research for some one. The number of unique "haha thats funny" replies (votes) might be used as a guide but these would also need to be vetted. (More work) I don't see much scope for automating this process. Another problem, who want to wade thru loads of inane replies when searching the funnies for a laugh:)

When I am looking for a laugh i won't be at all concerned about originality, what I want is quality! So by all means lets have a comedy section but please no points or voting for same.
well, if that is the case, maybe i can just install a daily or hourly rotating jokes archive on the top of every page instead of actually having a forums section for it!! This can be done easily, just let me know if this would be fine with you guys :)