Few Domain Related Questions

All the members needing any kind of help for cpanel can discuss here.

Moderator: Lixas

doof92

Few Domain Related Questions

Post by doof92 »

Hello,
Got a few questions related to the free domains offered here :p

1. Is it possible to get a .ORG domain? If so, is it 400 points one off?
2. Are there any monthly charges (i.e. 50 posts) ?
3. Can you use your domain wherever you want (ie. not specifically on a smokyhosts.com hosting account) ?
4. How many subdomains do you get?
5. Can you create A records on each subdomain?

Thank you very much

P.S. I hope this is the correct forum to put this thread in. If not, feel free to move it :p Thanks

SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Let me first welcome you to smokyhosts.com

1. Yes, it is possible to get a .ORG as well as a .info domain name. However, as far as .org domain names are concerned, you can get it free (in exchange of points) only if you are from "the Latin American/Caribbean, Chinese/Southeast Asian and African Countries". However this limitation is not applicable to .info domain names. You can get a .info domain name free (in exchange of points) no matter from which country you are from.

2. No, there are no more monthly charges involved.

3. Yes, you can use your domain name wherever you want to.

4. You are free to create as many subdomains as you wish to, coz finally the number of subdomains you create depends on your hosting provider and not on the domain name registrar.

5. Once the nameservers are set to point to whichever web host you want to, then you can create your own A records at your host.
doof92

Post by doof92 »

Thank you for your reply.
I'm located in England, so therefore can't get that .org domain. Are there any other domains I can get, and if so, for how many points?
It's just that I run an IRC network called BSKIrc (if you'd like a chan for smokyhosts feel free to PM me :p) and could do with a better domain name. Therefore .info won't be very good.

Also, i won't point the domain specifically at a host, rather different IPs (hence the A records), so i'd need a domain panel similar to that of godaddy.

Thanks
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Currently we are offering only .info and .org domain names for free. You can go through our paid domain offers at http://domains.smokyhosts.com

As far as A name records changing is required, if you wish to control it from the registrar's end, then you will have to purchase it from us for a cost of $0.50
doof92

Post by doof92 »

Few more questions:
1. How many points does a .info domain cost? Is it 200?
2. Can I set the MX and DNS records for free? <--Will only need to set the main domain, NOT any subdomains
3. Is it possible to buy a domain, but a one-off fee rather than yearly?

Thanks
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

1. You need 300 points for a free .info domain name. Always refer to http://www.smokyhosts.com/compare.php for details regarding the amount of points.
2. For changing MX and DNS records from the registrar, you need to purchase that service seperately. This doesnt come free along with free domain name.
3. No, domain names can never be purchased one off. You always need to pay them yearly.
doof92

Post by doof92 »

Thank you very much,
That DNS and MX is annoying, really would need that :p
doof92

Post by doof92 »

Firstly, sorry for double posting.

Secondly, can you tell me what do I have? Ie. Domain Rediretc only? Or email aswell etc?

Thanks
Surreal

Post by Surreal »

I'm not sure about this, but you may be able to set up or the admin can set up the name servers for you. i.e ns1.smokyhosts.com etc.
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

You will be the authorized owner of that free domain name. Including being able to change the domain settings like nameservers and your whois profile and also creating private nameservers for yourself. It is as good as purchasing a new domain name, but not accompanied with Advanced DNS management (you cannot manage dns settings like A, MX records, for this you will have to pay $0.49 or you can manage them at your host's end after you setup your hosting account, which can be with any hosting provider).