Tables

Any problem with HTML can be discussed here.
biskit67

Tables

Post by biskit67 »

I have an older site that uses tables within tables to divide up the screen. The top third of the screen is one row that spans all columns. Then the left side of the screen is about 25% of the remaining 2/3 of the screen, defined as a column that spans all rows. The rest of the screen consists of another table made up of a bunch of columns and rows.

I'm trying to convert the site to use style sheets, but style sheets don't work very well with tables. Is <div> in HTML powerful enough to reproduce what I currently have, but give me the control that CSS has?

darko

Post by darko »

to be honest with you, i started off, using div tags, but soo i figuerd out that table are much better, i know that alot of people out here well tell you that it's not but for me it is, if you want to convert from tables to div, you can search google, for a tool that will do it for you, if you didn't find anything pm me and i'll help you
Darko
suni

Post by suni »

css is powerful enough to give you the same effect, you just have to play around with it a little while. It's relatively easy to figure out. Take a look at the information on http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp to get a really good base of information on how to get what you want. Need any more help let me know ;)
Sunita
Envoxia

Stick to it.

Post by Envoxia »

I suggest that you mess around with CSS for a while before you go completely fixing things that don't really need to be fixed. Tables work just as well as CSS although everybody does have their own preferences. Study some CSS, play around with it, if you decide it works better for you then the "old" HTML, then convert.
Surreal

Post by Surreal »

I find tables much better and easier to create layouts. If you want to create it with divs, you have to create a lot of code just to get to the layout you could have easily done with a table.
X-Solo

Re: Tables

Post by X-Solo »

biskit67 wrote:I have an older site that uses tables within tables to divide up the screen. The top third of the screen is one row that spans all columns. Then the left side of the screen is about 25% of the remaining 2/3 of the screen, defined as a column that spans all rows. The rest of the screen consists of another table made up of a bunch of columns and rows.

I'm trying to convert the site to use style sheets, but style sheets don't work very well with tables. Is <div> in HTML powerful enough to reproduce what I currently have, but give me the control that CSS has?
What is the reason of converting the site into complete CSS? What are the real advantages?
rwshthn

this

Post by rwshthn »

this link is so good i use it for my problims
http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp
vinter

Post by vinter »

in fact the entire w3schools is amazing... the best set of tutorials available on the net