HP cd/dvd-rom question?

Any discussion regarding hardware features as well as hardware troubleshooting can be carried out here.
smk

HP cd/dvd-rom question?

Post by smk »

I don't remember how old my HP pavilion ze4800 laptop is but just recently windows crashed and now says that the cd/dvd-rom drivers are corrupt or missing...

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Yogo

Cory: Mr. Feeny, under my desk is a key. It opens locker 703 in a Florida station. In there is all my homework from the past 5 years. I'm actually a wonderful student. I listen and I know everything.
Mr. F: What's the capital of Montana?
Cory: You're not going to Florida, are you?
---------------------
Eric: I have a question that I'm going to need a yes or no answer to. How many people get into Yale each year?
Mr. F
: No.
Mambo

Post by Mambo »

Do you still have internet access? Try to re-install your drivers or get the latest drivers from internet (probably HP website). Good luck
smk

Post by smk »

I have tried that but to no avail, I have even chatted with one of there techs who told me this (It is a little long, sorry)
Hp Total Care wrote:Chat Transcript Begins Here
--------------------------------------------------------------

Pearl
Hello smk.

Pearl
Welcome to HP Total Care for Pavilion Notebooks. My name is Pearl. How may I assist you today?

Smk
Well Windows Has Crashed On Me and in the process it took the drivers for my cd/dvd rom drive and I cannot find them.

Smk
Any Advice?

Pearl
Let us check in the Device Manager to see if CD/DVD drive has a yellow "!" mark on them.

Smk
Just a second...

Smk
It has a yellow "!" mark

Pearl
Okay.

Pearl
Please confirm, if the CD/DVD drive is listed in My Computer.

Smk
My Computer only has my hard drive

Pearl
I See.

Pearl
May I know the Serial, Product and Model numbers of your notebook?

Pearl
The Model (ex: ze4250, n5441 etc), Product (ex: C1234A) and Serial (ex: US12345678) numbers are located on the bottom of the PC on a white sticker.

Smk
*Edit*

Smk
*Edit*

Pearl
Thank you for the information.

Pearl
May I have a few moments of your time while I look at the computer's configuration in my database?

Smk
Just a side note... When I open the dvd/cd-rom properties from the device manager it gives me this in Device status: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Smk
and yes

Pearl
Thank you

Pearl
May I know the model of the CD/

Pearl
CD/DVD drive?

Smk
It is an HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N

Pearl
Thank you

Pearl
To resolve the issue I would recommend you to perform the following steps:

Pearl
1)Reset BIOs 2)Reinstall CD/DVD drivers 3)Run the patch

Smk
How do I Reset the BIOs?

Pearl
May I have a few moments of your time while I craft steps for you?

Smk
Yes

Pearl
Thank you

Pearl
1)At startup, the following options are available at the hp logo: F2 - to enter the BIOS To reset CMOS, follow these steps: 1.Enter the Setup utility. 2.Use the left and right arrow keys to select the Exit menu. 3.Use the up and down arrow keys to select the Get Default Values.

Pearl
Step 2: uninstall and reinstall CD/DVD drivers ==================================== Please perform the following steps to reinstall DVD/CD-ROM drives : 1. Right-**** My Computer. 2. Select Properties. 3. **** Hardware. 4. **** Device Manager. 5. **** the "+" symbol against DVD/CD-ROM drives. 6. Right-**** the device under DVD/CD-ROM and select Uninstall. 7. Restart the system. The respective device drivers would be reinstalled.

Smk
Ok Just one more thing... The last time I tried to enter the BIOs Setup it asked for a password which I think I made but I can't remember. Is there a way around that?

Pearl
One moment please.

Smk
Ok

Pearl
Let me provide you the last step and then assist you in getting the BIOS password.

Pearl
Step 3)Run the below patch: =================== http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs

Pearl
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs Please copy the link and paste in the browser's address bar and press enter.

Pearl
Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.vbs and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double **** the file to this patch. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

Pearl
While running the above script, Norton may come up with a message saying the script being installed is a malicious one. You can ignore this and continue installing the fix as this is just a security warning from Norton and would not harm the computer in any means.

Smk
Ok

Pearl
I understand that you forgot the BIOS password and need information on how to reset the password.

Pearl
If the password has been forgotten or lost, HP has a procedure to allow you to remove it. This procedure will need to be done by our Customer Care phone center, as this procedure cannot be completed through chat.

Pearl
Proof-of-Ownership must be provided for your HP Pavilion Notebook PC.

Pearl
Customer Information: * Customer (owner) name: * Who the contact will be (if not the owner): * Address: * Phone number: * Signature (no typed or electronic signatures): * If the customer is not making the request for password removal, please provide the following information: - Date of request: - Requester's name: - Requester's address: - Requester's phone number: - Requester's signature (no typed or electronic signatures):

Pearl
HP Pavilion Notebook PC information: * Model number (ex: Pavilion Notebook XH136): * PC serial number: * Place where purchased or acquired (company, store, gift, etc.): * Proof-of-Ownership (sales receipt, purchase order, etc.), with the following minimum information: - Place where purchased: - Owner's name (if applicable): - Date of purchase:

Pearl
Fix Password removal contacts: Days of Operation: Monday - Friday Hours of Operation: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Mountain Time Phone: (970) 278-8800, Option 3 Fax: (970) 679-5865

Pearl
I'd like to inform you that you will receive a transcript of this chat session as an email in a while after we end this chat session.

Smk
Thank you for all the help...

Pearl
You are welcome.

Pearl
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or clarifications. We assure you of our dedicated support, 24 hours, 365 days a year.

Pearl
Thank you for using HP Total Care and giving us an opportunity to serve you through Real-Time Chat. A copy of our chat session will be e-mailed to you shortly. You may also receive a chat survey. We would appreciate your feedback.

Pearl
Have a nice time!
Any other ideas?
Cory: Mr. Feeny, under my desk is a key. It opens locker 703 in a Florida station. In there is all my homework from the past 5 years. I'm actually a wonderful student. I listen and I know everything.
---------------------
Eric: I have a question that I'm going to need a yes or no answer to. How many people get into Yale each year?
Mr. F
mburnz

Post by mburnz »

Any other ideas?
Linux!!

I hear it's quite good but I never had a spare puter to play with it on.

If you Google +inux +debian +(your computer) you may even hit a blog
of some one who has a put up a system just like yours.
smk

Post by smk »

mburnz wrote:Linux!!
I was thinking about that but after I get the problem fixed I am going to give it to someone who is doing good to work with XP, unless i could install lunix and then reinstall xp....
---------------------
Mr. F
mburnz

Post by mburnz »

As soon as you go back to XP you are going to hit that same wall I suspect..
Maybe the person you purchased from will have a record of yr purchase.
Its either that or find/guess that bios pw.

Why not just give up on the internal drive and get a usb plugin. Its cheaper than a new system. Hp service won't be free either.
darko

Post by darko »

ok go to the hp website search for your laptop drivers, and download the cd and dvd drivers then go to my computer-->left ****-->propreties--->hardware--->dvice manager and select the cd and dvd drivers and reinstall them, iwhen i got my compaq nx9010 it didn't have the modem driver and that's what i did

Regards
Darko
Darko
smk

Post by smk »

I finaly fixed it, see here for deatils: http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... #appliesto
---------------------
Mr. F
rwshthn

use`

Post by rwshthn »

use the latest browser of internet
and it will be done