Dual Booting Help

Any duscussion regarding softwares can be carried out here.
Rev0lution

Dual Booting Help

Post by Rev0lution »

Does anyone know how I can run two operating systems and choose which one I want to boot from when the computer is in the bios stage? I have two seperate hard drives one is currently running Windows XP and the other im just using as storage. I would like to put linux on that hard drive. Any websites or insight would be much appreciated.

|| Lifes Too Short To Be Mad All The Time ||
Lixas

Post by Lixas »

first of all- wrong place for your topic in this forum. SHadmin, please move it in sofware forum
and the second: if you will install linux, like suse or mandrake or knoppix, a boot loader like lilo or grub will create you dual booting system. only i suggest you to first install windoze and then some kind of linux, but remember, linux have it's own file system that windows normaly can't read. and you can create a bootloader in windows, just edit a file c:/boot.ini but be carefull, it is dangerous if you dont know what are you doing. If you will fail and will do not know how to fix boot.ini file, you will not be able to run windows
kaos_frack

Post by kaos_frack »

just create another partition for linux
i think it should ext2 or ext3
you will also need a swap partition which should be no less than your ram's size
and just install linux on that partition and that's it
rwshthn

the answer

Post by rwshthn »

in the inter net xplorara there was favorites **** it and choose add
if i was cant under standing you or it wasnt th right answer and it was i your sistem you can set up new window its easy
:P [/b]
darko

Post by darko »

ok, i don't if the works to switch betwenn linux and windows, but it does work wehn you have 2 windows versions.
left **** my computer--->propreties-->Advanced---Startup And Recovery [settings] there's a drop menu with all the OS on your pc, you can choose witch one to use as default, and how much time to give you before automaticly choosing...
Hope it helps
Regards
Darko
Darko
hossamkiwan

Post by hossamkiwan »

use a bootable cd hoover

to boot to wht u want

or use knopiks cd to log into the files boot.inin adjust
rwshthn

yes

Post by rwshthn »

yes iam sorry its in boot
blueray

Post by blueray »

Part 1:
The windows and linux are using different file system. So, first, you have to backup all data of your second hard drive or the drive in which you would like to install linux. Then, chooose a linux type you would like to install, such as fedora, gentoo etc....

Part 2:
OK, you have prepared your hard drvie. You don't have any software to do so. Just install it as usually, because it will install a boot loader called lilo or grub.

Hope this help. If it does, post here or PM me :)
tdcool

Post by tdcool »

Are you talking about dual-booting a mac with Boot Camp?