look you can't believe

General discussion regarding computers can be carried out here.
elicoten

Post by elicoten »

As far as I know, hibernation does not use any power. The RAM is dumped onto the hard drive, and then the system powered down fully. I don't know where you get the information that the system still requires power.

The advantage of hibernation is that you don't have to close any open programs or lose any data in programs - you can just leave everything open and come back to it when you want. Useful if you are in the middle of a large process that you can't close down, but you need to switch off your computer. An example would be a huge backup job. CLosing the program would cancel the backup, but if you needed to shut down your computer you could proably hiberate and continue the backup afterwards.

Eli

Sonic

Post by Sonic »

lol i didnt know thats weird :D
jasondsouza

Post by jasondsouza »

is it possible on win 98
--jasondsouza
ME working on a very new site. (Coming soon)
Come to my web Site
darko

Post by darko »

hibernate and standby are mainly functions used for laptops in my opinion

Standby: when you chose standby, the PC will cut off lots of it's power supply but it will keep memory of the last thing you were doing in the RAM cache, and ram needs some power to keep memory of the data, so on a laptop this will let the battery die fast

Hibernate: it's basiclly the same as StandBy but instead of storing the data on Ram it will be stored on the harddisk witch does not need any power, so you'll be saving the power of the battery, and on lauch the system will automaticly send the data from the HD to the Ram and you'll have in front oof you the last thing you were doing

to use hibernation Under Windows 98, Me, or 2000 do the following

**** Start and Shut Down,

Point the standby button and maintain the shift key pushed,

A new hibernation button appears: **** it while still holding the shift key: voila your PC will hibernate.

Regards
Darko
Darko
jasondsouza

Post by jasondsouza »

will this work for win 98
--jasondsouza
ME working on a very new site. (Coming soon)
Come to my web Site
Mizo

Post by Mizo »

Nice nice i dont know it before realy great thx :)
ddarude

Post by ddarude »

Thanks!
this trick will be useful for laptop users. Hibernate mode can save battery consumption quite a lot and you don't need wait a long time to use your laptop again if you put in hibernate mode.
insaneisenough

Post by insaneisenough »

I don't use hibernate at all really I just shut down my pc when its not in use. :wink:
jeremy90

Post by jeremy90 »

cool, you can change stand by text

i will have to try that some time
kix

Post by kix »

lol, thats suprising, i dont use stand by by any chance anyway, lol, so no way i knew that :p