request for Less Obtrusive Ads

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Now the ads are slowing down the loading time of the forums and I am getting full screen ads ...this is now on the verge of SPAM.

Screen shot belows demonstrate the full screen ad: --****--

If you won't allow us to **** them off and force them to stay off, can we use our credits to get rid of them? I'm begging.

SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

That is something that I will soon be implementing!!
Jason

Post by Jason »

Oh thank god, I'm happy to hear that. :D
Jason

Post by Jason »

Any estimation on when this will be implemented?
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Jason wrote:Any estimation on when this will be implemented?
Soon? Hopefully!

There was an advertisement which actually took over my ability to edit a post. It came up and it allowed me to hit "Skip This Ad" but it was a full fledged whole webpage ad. It was pretty bad.

Yeah I like the idea to give credits and take away the ads, even if it has to be a post to remove. Of course this would kind of take away the point of posting so I have no clue how this is going to work out.

I do understand the need for ads but normally when people are on a board we don't care for the ads because we are not actually looking for something. Yes a Taco Bell ad will make us hungry but it doesn't mean we will be going to Taco Bell. Maybe I want McDonald's so that Taco Bell ad just helped McDonald's gain some business.

Although if we pay Credits to remove the ads it will void the point in posting as we post to see the ads which maybe we will go to that site, which is the point of the ads. So I have no clue how this system would even work.

SHAdmin you will have a PM in your inbox with a small note about this, maybe I can think of something that will help both the members and the site.

But yeah I wouldn't mind paying some credits to remove a couple advertisements, lol.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
Jason

Post by Jason »

It would appear the ad has gone, however, some ads have been placed in the oddest of places: between the quick reply text box and the options for quick reply. Surly placing the ads (since there's two) either side of the quick reply would be better?
Jason

Post by Jason »

Hmm, they do lag the page loading a little. I can navigate around my control panel with ease but once I enter a topic there's lag. You may want to consider loading time of the ads you're placing on the board.

Also, I doubt the SmokyHosts toolbar has been downloaded, nor anyone is thinking of downloading it so it's really wasting space. May want to consider if that's justified being up.

But thank you for removing the silly scrolling ads, step in the right direction. ;)
shaarang

I agree!

Post by shaarang »

Hey! I am new to Smoky and really, I agree that this ads(****, I suppose) are really annoying. They scroll with you around the page blocking your content. No one's complaining against ads. I understand they are inevitable and are acceptable, but I agree that they should not obstruct the user.
This is the most annoying aspect of such In-text ad modules. They can really frustrate you at times.
You maybe moving the cursor somewhere in the text to read it, and they just spring up out of nowhere blocking the content!:(
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

The ad that follows the user around has already been removed but you are talking about ****. **** ads do not obstruct any content only uses the content of the pages to display ads of the same nature, very good idea but the creators of **** failed on it's actual usage.

The **** ads are not much of a problem and it seems as the amount of blue in the text has been cut back, which is different than before.

What kind of issues are you having with the **** ads? If you don't run your mouse accross them they don't block content but then again sometimes they have some pretty nice advertisments on them.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!