installing JAR file

Discuss anything about your own or your favorite mobile/cell phone.
Tails5

installing JAR file

Post by Tails5 »

I've found a site that gives free mobile games (.JAR or .JAD files) and I want to download them using my PC and trasnfer them to my phone cause my phone has a $2/MB access charge, but when I do that and try to run the .JAR or .JAD file, it says unsupported file type.

Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

what phone are you using?

yeah this infomation is really important because we really need to know what OS/platform is it and does it support .jar or java. And does it have any bundled applications to install programs.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

It's an SGH-A412 from Samsung, it can install them if it downloads them directly, and no, no bundled software. Atleast none that i can find.
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Don't try and run it, instead, bring up the option menu and see if there's an install option.

But, to clarify what do you mean by: "...downloads them directly..."?
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

just to clarify, have you installed anything before?
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

No install option on the menu, By "downloads them directly" I mean using the phone's browser, and yes, I've installed one thing before using the phones browser.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Hmm *thinks*
You can confirm it is the same format as the ones that do work/install, yes? If you can then I'd just take a wild guess and presume that the game wasn't developed properly and thus you may not be able to use it. Unless the phone isn't compatible, isn't there a compatibility list available? (i.e. a list of phones that the game works with)

Sorry I cannot think of a solution, but usually with phones: it either works or it doesn't (unless it's a network thing, which in this case it is not).
MrAlex

Post by MrAlex »

Woot,
Im pretty decent at Java Coding.
You can't install jar files,
Just think of them as executable zip files ;)
Here is what I found from a games site,
maybe it will help:
Open http://mobilerated.com/dl/2000 on your mobile phone.
Use your mobile phone browser to enter the URL provided above. The best version of this free mobile game, 3DTetris, will be presented to you, and you will be asked if you wish to install it to your phone. Answer yes to each question. 3DTetris will then be installed on your phone. The installation is done "over the air" (OTA). Your phone company may charge you a small download fee (data charges). This is based upon your data plan; none of that money goes to us. 3DTetris is now ready to play! If you have any troubles, please let us know.
Anyway, I've looking through,
and couldn't find on how to do for your mobile,
but the same instructions should apply.
1) Download Softick PPP and Samsung Java Uploader.exe . Also JADmaker if required.

2) Install SoftickPPP according to this Polish website. I don't understand Polish, but the pictures tell enough of the story. Set up your bluetooth COM ports in the SoftickPPP bluetooth/serial settings. My Bluetooth COM ports are either 24, 25 or 26. I leave them all ticked.

3) Enter *#52828378# on the phone to access the Java Test Menu. Choose OTA type setting, choose Serial bearer OTA. **** select. (This seems to need to be changed back to GPRS bearer OTA for Samsung PC Studio to connect)

4) Start SoftickPPP. **** on cancel for the missing USBPort.dll error message. Accept bluetooth connections for DUN and Serial connections on the phone.

5) Choose 'Activate PPP' by right **** on the icon in the taskbar. Accept connections on phone again.

6) Start 'Uploader.exe' and then add the required jad file. Leave the program open.

7) If you are not still in the Java Test Menu then enter *#52828378# on the phone again. Select 'Serial test', 'PPP Up', 'Bluetooth' on phone, 'Serial download'. My phone sometimes restarts at this point in which case I have to choose 'Shutdown PPP" in the taskbar icon and then re-activating it once the phone has restarted and then re-do step 7 after entering the Java Test Menu again.
Wont be back till Sunday!
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

Thankyou, I'll try that out as soon as I can.
Gebbo

Mobile games

Post by Gebbo »

Tails5 wrote:I've found a site that gives free mobile games (.JAR or .JAD files) and I want to download them using my PC and trasnfer them to my phone cause my phone has a $2/MB access charge, but when I do that and try to run the .JAR or .JAD file, it says unsupported file type.
Care to share that website for all to use :P i want free games too!!!
.............................:: Spirit of Fire ::..................................