advertising/redesign

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
Tcoo

advertising/redesign

Post by Tcoo »

You could allow forum members to pay to put their ads up on the site and it'd help make some money. And to get more people to join and see the site, each month once a month you could allow someone to redesign the entire site, but I don't know how yall would do that.

TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Well there would be a problem with the Redesigning of the website. This site uses VB forums which is a pretty complicated way to design websites.. They people would have to know exactly how to code a forum like this. I do believe the rest of the website is maintained and done up by SHAdmin which he tries to keep matching the forums. Plus with the number of modifications added to the forums a new theme would require a great deal of work to allow the mods to work and be shown.

As far as the Ads go... currently the ads are being done by AdSense and we do have a place to allow for a person's website Advertising. One problem I would see is with the Ad Codes... some ads can be scripted to log information and install random things on your computer so in order to keep Smokyhosts safe from all of this SHAdmin normally tries to keep everything strictly with Adsense.

The main reason why we do not see many theme changes is strictly due to the fact of the modifications and the time consumption each time the theme is changed. I personally run a Nuke Evolution website and after my initial theme is in place I will never change the theme unless I scrap the website all together.

While this is a nice suggestion and would both bring in money and allow more user interaction with smokyhosts in a more personal manner I'm afraid with this type of site where it offers hosting and needs to be kept safe I don't see these actually working. Now if SHAdmin was to have a period of time where he wasn't as busy he may decide to do either one or both of these which he would be able to check over everything to make sure it is 100% legit. Thank you for the suggestion, but now I must ask what do you have in mind for a theme? We are always taking new theme ideas but unless it is a fantastic theme which SHAdmin favors over the current one I personally don't think it is worth the work to implement. But if you do have a couple ideas I would love to see them, I'm actually thinking it is about that time (*(*within the next 3 - 4 months*)*) that Smokyhosts has it's new face lift!

And another note: Something I have realized is most the time when we make suggestions, SHAdmin has already thought of it lol. Makes it kind of hard to suggest ideas, but seeing as he is always 1 step ahead of the competition... he seems to be one step ahead of us as well lol. BUT that does not mean stop suggesting things... sometimes we may have a better way, or have just the right touch to make all the difference! Thanks once again for the suggestion, this is not an official answer and once SHAdmin gets a chance I am sure he will post his opinion as well! :D.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
MrAlex

Post by MrAlex »

I agree,
We already have an advertising section,
so what is the point of having adverts?
Instead of SHAdmi asking for money,
he asks for 15 posts?
Also, since no-one posts there, you'd probably get the most
views anyway.
Wont be back till Sunday!
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

The idea seems good, but as well commented by TheCrymsonLegends, it is not so practical to keep changing the looks of a website unless proved that the new one is better than the current one.

One thing that usually happens when a visitor comes back to the website is that he should either see the same design so that he can follow the same steps he did before in order to get some info, or be easier than the existing design to make it easier for the visitor to navigate.

Also, keeping on changing designs is very much time cusuming coz first i will have to go through the coding for safety reasons, then integrate every service, every link, every bit of information back into the new one, all this takes a good 1 week if has to be done continuously!

As far as the advertising is concerned, maybe if the members can create good banners for their sites, i can display them on SmokyHosts forums in a feature websites category (rotating banners style) and charge some amount of points for this. Do comment on this...
delivi

Post by delivi »

I think that the users can have their ads in the forum and pay with points, this way the users will be active in the forum :)