A brainstorm to cut down spam in SHForums

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

The thing is we can't just hide links and offer titles saying that it isn't safe for minors or whomever wouldn't like it, because knowing everyone they would still **** on it and Smokyhosts CANNOT be reliable for bringing anything to the disposal of children.. We do have a lot of kids on this website and that is why we try to keep Indecent posts off... Spam isn't very big these days it's just the Indecent junk!

Disabling "****" wouldn't would very well as they just keep spelling it weird just to get to post it. As SHAdmin said both Captcha and E-Mail Verification are on so these are real people doing this.

We just have to keep fighting it and maybe they will go away one day, I don't really think there is anything else we can really do besides blocking all links period. But that wouldn't really solve much it would just do more damage.

Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
pixeldev

Post by pixeldev »

Report all spam posts when you see them
More image verification

Thats all I can think of :o
pixeldev
Senior pixel artist
iBye

Post by iBye »

Yeah, these spambots are really annoying, escpecially when its ****. There are functions for these, check the vbulletin page.
Tired of Newbies asking Questions? Tell them www.UseGoogleFFS.com
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

We can't filter keywords?
No doubt that spammers can just alter the content, but only to the extent of word by word alteration. Most spammers would just copy and paste. Maybe we would have a filter that can check against post for any single word correspond to the keyword list at the point of submitting. The keyword list can be updated
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

That could work. I think that's a good idea!
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
Flipper3

Post by Flipper3 »

So in that case, does that mean that curse words are currently not filtered? If so, then they definitely should be filtered. ;)
TheCrymsonLegends

I believe the reason words have not yet been filtered ( if they have not ) is because it would require much more work to constantly add new filters to it anyway. If something pops up, we moderators can just get rid of it..

Has anyone been reporting posts? I need to know if anyone has or not because if so I do not believe the Mod CP works with reported posts. Could be that it already gets taken care of but there was a good deal of junk in the General Forums again.

I have been away for a few days and let it get out of hand... it's nice to know I have to constantly get on just to clear the only "**** JUNK" Forum that crap is posted in.

Once again we do not believe the S.P.A.M posters are bots... we do believe they are infact humans who just love to irritate the crap out of people. I will constantly be monitoring the sections I moderate but I may miss stuff as I don't check each post individually. If you notice something and have reported it and it hasn't been taken care of please send me a PM and I will get it taken care of. Let it be known I only check Smokyhosts once a day and sometimes once every couple days, so give me a chance to get your PM and handle the situation. In the General Talk section under Computer, I already am aware of the stuff in there so please do not report it! Thank you for all your help and suggestions but until we can figure out a way to prevent morons from posting junk like that it may just keep happening.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

Developing a plugin/protocol like this i think might be advertised to bring in more traffic? just a suggestion, similar to the main point
Xanavi

Post by Xanavi »

Offer bonuses for people to scan around and flag posts as spam. Reward for completed deleted post. Work that hosting charge off! :D
TheCrymsonLegends

Xanavi wrote:Offer bonuses for people to scan around and flag posts as spam. Reward for completed deleted post. Work that hosting charge off! :D
EDITED: Currently the spam has been cut down. There are no more of those Advertisement spams and due to the new Activity system which was implemented a few months back, people don't really spam up their points anymore. The rewards for reported posts could always be used in the case spam hits back really hard. I like the suggestion, which would work brilliantly but currently things seem to be under control. :D Thank you for the nice addition to this post, nice to see new members lending their opinions. Welcome to Smokyhosts I hope you enjoy your stay :D.