The Dont's of Web designing

Write your "How To" regarding anything you are comfortable with and you feel it will help the forum members.

NOTE :: All threads started here will appear only after the approval from Administrator
delivi

The Dont's of Web designing

Post by delivi »

Getting a great looking website is really a difficult task. We need to take care to make the site more acceaaible and get more visitors pouring in. Here are a few dont's that you need to keep in in while designing a site.

1. Clutter - Too much text and too many links is information overload. Simplicity is the most efficient way of getting a point across.

If you must have a dozen of links in your site, classify them in sections for easy navigation.

2. Different font sizes - Keep consistency in font sizes for text content of similar nature like headers, footers and body text.

3. Too many GIFs - GIFs take a longer time to load and just put people off.

4. Flash - Flash is a brilliant way to desgin content for your website, but do not overuse it. Using too much flash where simple HTML would have done the work is simply annoying. Always have a Skip intro button if you add an flash intro to your site. Provide an Sound ON/Off button if you add background music.

5. No Popups - The thought of using pop-ups should never cross your mind. And these days browsers block pop-ups efficiently, so it becomes useless. Opening **** links in new windows must be avoided and used only when required.

6. No Horizontal Scrolling - Internet users are accustomed to scrolling webpages from top-to-bottom. The horizontal scroll must be used rarely for anything unless it is a large image.

7. Design for Standard Window Size - design your fixed layouts for web pages considering the standard window sizes, used by most users. 800 x 600 was the standard size a few years before, now 1024 x 768 is the standard window size.

8. No long URLs - Keep your URLs short and related to the subject matter of the web pages they link to. There is no point having URLs larger than 30 to 35 characters long.

9. The first four second - As a rule of thumb, if one cannot figure out what the site is about within four secondsof looking at the loaded web page, the site will most probabily fail to make an impression on the user. Make your contnet crisp and up to the point you want to convey.

simbox2

Post by simbox2 »

Thanks for the tips....now i got to go change a few thing in my site
josephnm

Post by josephnm »

7. Design for Standard Window Size - design your fixed layouts for web pages considering the standard window sizes, used by most users. 800 x 600 was the standard size a few years before, now 1024 x 768 is the standard window size.
I still think 800 x 600 still the most use at the moment consider there might not be many people having high resolution monitor?

Just my 2 cents. ;)
delivi

Post by delivi »

now 800 x 600 is no longer the standard resolution, 1024 x 768 is the standard resolution. My site statistics show these details only 2% of the odd 5000 visitors have 800 x 600 resolution
web_master

Post by web_master »

delivi wrote:now 800 x 600 is no longer the standard resolution, 1024 x 768 is the standard resolution. My site statistics show these details only 2% of the odd 5000 visitors have 800 x 600 resolution
Yes Delivi you are right the 1024 x 768 is now the standard resolution used.
Gyanu

Post by Gyanu »

it can be usefull in my ability.

nice tips. thanx a lot.
Flickorian

I Think It Depends.

Post by Flickorian »

I do not disagree with you at all. Alot of clutter is an eyesore and different font sizes make it look cluttered and a bit gaudy as for the gifs and flash as well. I will say though, the layout, as long as well done and quite neat, shouldn't matter whether it scrolls horizontally, vertically, or not at all. I think that's part of what makes a website unique. Not to mention, you can try your hardest, but your website may still not be compatable (as far as dimentions and code) with EVERYONES computer or browser.
iBye

Post by iBye »

Haha, nice little tutorial. This is found on many sites, too bad.

3. Too many GIFs - GIFs take a longer time to load and just put people off.
Tired of Newbies asking Questions? Tell them www.UseGoogleFFS.com
delivi

Post by delivi »

these tips are not ripped or copied from other sites, I made them from my 5years of web development.
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

Just keep your attitute of making the website FOR the user. And you'll be fine.