Attach Files In Gmail By Drag-and-Drop

Write your "How To" regarding anything you are comfortable with and you feel it will help the forum members.

NOTE :: All threads started here will appear only after the approval from Administrator
bilalghouri

Attach Files In Gmail By Drag-and-Drop

Post by bilalghouri »

I used to use Microsoft Outlook and even (gosh, no!) Lotus Notes before I totally moved to web-based email services like Gmail.

One thing I missed was the drag-and-drop method of attaching files. How is this useful? Well, if you’re attaching only a single file, it takes at least four **** in Gmail (that excludes browsing for the exact directory where the file is). Multiply that with the number of files you’re attaching and you get the idea of how tedious it can be. Most desktop-based email apps even allow you to select several files and drag-and-drop it over to a Compose window to attach.

With drag-and-drop, it’s all easier. But your browser just won’t let you drag a file from your desktop to your browser, would it?

Fortunately, for Firefox users there’s a plugin you can install that lets you drag and drop items from an Explorer (or Finder, etc.) window onto a text input box.

Simply install the dragdropupload addin for Firefox and you’re all set to go.

Drop files into attachment boxes instead of browse for them or type in the filename. Drop multiple files and fill all the entries. In some websites it allows to add new upload files: in Gmail is possible to drop the files directly over the “Attach a file” link.

A Sidebar allows to drop files from a listing

Sounds exciting. I tried installing it, and here are some screenshots.

You can drag from an explorer or Finder (as in my case) window directly onto the text box for attaching:

http://www.googletutor.com/wp-content/u ... gdrop1.png

Or, you can even drag a file directly onto the “attach a file” link:

http://www.googletutor.com/wp-content/u ... gdrop2.png

They will both appear as the local location of the file, and then subsequently uploaded automatically as an attachment:

The plugin has some special functionalities with Gmail–you can even drag and drop a selection of files into the “attach a file” or “attach another file” link, and Gmail will automatically add all of them as attachments!

And voila! Multiple attachments:

(Remember, I used a Mac to get screenshots, so the actual dragging and dropping will appear differently on Windows or other OSes).

This can also be great for uploading screencaps to your Blogger blog or any other blog software that allows uploading by browsing from a local folder. Next time you need to attach or upload something, just drag and drop. You no longer have to **** Browse, look for the file, **** the file, and **** the “Open” button just to add that file.

Source : http://www.cyber-ug.net/forums/showthre ... -1092.html

SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Thank you for sharing the "How To" with the others. You have been credited 25 points.