New Suggestion

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Well if you want anything I say just be active on the forums and show participation. Bring your friends in to BENEFIT THEM!! Not yourself. Just like the suggestion about free .com names it's more about your greed then the spirit of free items. Anything prize related goes to the person who participates and shows most effort within the site. Above and Beyond... inviting your friends for your own personal gain isn't above and beyond.. it's low. So invite them in participate, go above your normal posting and help others. Get good posts running and don't spam.. more then likely you could be in line for some great prize.

But only those who TRUELY deserve them are awarded them.. cept me.. I just got lucky.

Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
Jonxmartini

Post by Jonxmartini »

TheCrymsonLegends wrote:
But only those who TRUELY deserve them are awarded them.. cept me.. I just got lucky.
"Gives piece of Humble Pie" :)
monk

Post by monk »

we probably dont have enough members or activity for it to be a real problem to implement a referal system now. it would only become a problem when we have many people coming and signing up dayly. maybe ;) we could have a referal system set up temporarily, as a special offer for current members to bring in more genuine traffic. i have a handful of people i will bring, and we could even use a primitive system like if i bring someone then after he/she is installed in forums and active then we can set up thru private message with shadmin. this would be only for now, because it wouldnt be hard to control. once we have more traffic (however long that takes) the offer should be stopped. and no more points for referral, for now, in that way until someone figures it out. about the ips... honestly i would probably help or sign up people from my home computer, then they would go to their house and post. so....

om
http://monk.thesmokylounge.com ... might be a bit too psychedelic for you.
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

monk wrote:we probably dont have enough members or activity for it to be a real problem to implement a referal system now. it would only become a problem when we have many people coming and signing up dayly. maybe ;) we could have a referal system set up temporarily, as a special offer for current members to bring in more genuine traffic. i have a handful of people i will bring, and we could even use a primitive system like if i bring someone then after he/she is installed in forums and active then we can set up thru private message with shadmin. this would be only for now, because it wouldnt be hard to control. once we have more traffic (however long that takes) the offer should be stopped. and no more points for referral, for now, in that way until someone figures it out. about the ips... honestly i would probably help or sign up people from my home computer, then they would go to their house and post. so....

om

I understand that the number of traffic could possibly be low but still in my opinion a referral system is more of manipulation and very often gets taken advantage of. I wouldn't want any part of smokyhosts to get taken advantage of because the more possible points that are awarded to people who cheat and find many ways to bypass actual rightful methods to get the points and use them to retrieve awards which have to be purchased by the admin to award would drain the ammount of resources and kill the whole points/awards system all together.

So in my own opinion I would feel this referral system would somewhat be a bad idea in the overall ability for smokyhosts to succeed and continue offering the services available. Now for paid services a referral system is more useable due to credit cards and payments and reciepts to prove activeness of referalee's. But for free services it's more of a suicide attempt.

ON the other hand if there was a way to show the activeness of people and their referalls then some type of rewards could be used for the overall activeness of you and your referalls but as far as domains and extensive upgrades wouldn't work too well and I wouldn't know how to program the activity levels and such in a module who match people to their referals and such. So that's another tricky situation lol.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
iBye

Post by iBye »

Yeah, referral systems are pretty useful and if you get something for it, even better.
Tired of Newbies asking Questions? Tell them www.UseGoogleFFS.com
mburnz

an interesting discussion

Post by mburnz »

Like CL I believe that giving credit for referrals could be a slow form of suicide for the host. Whatever happens should be a small, one off benefit transfered by one user to another when they reach some early but significant milestone in their smoky hosts career. For example, Your friend qualifies for their first hosting package, they nominate you to receive 5 dollars/credits whatever.

It may be enough for some of us to have a field on our profile stating the user id of our referrer.

There is also the argument that if you are getting a good enough deal here you will be singing the praises of your free hosting provider and no other incentive to recruit others is needed. Bear in mind that if this thing ain't growing it is unlikely to survive. If you want it your best approach is to support it and to encourage others to so do.
monk

Post by monk »

yeah, well put crymson, convinced me..
http://monk.thesmokylounge.com ... might be a bit too psychedelic for you.