Remote desktop host...

General discussion regarding computers can be carried out here.
rosareven

Remote desktop host...

Post by rosareven »

Just curious that is it possible to host a desktop on other computer or server and then use remote desktop program to manage it? My home is using passive connection and I couldn't upload... Remote desktop might be the only way to help me.

ddarude

Re: Remote desktop host...

Post by ddarude »

rosareven wrote:Just curious that is it possible to host a desktop on other computer or server and then use remote desktop program to manage it? My home is using passive connection and I couldn't upload... Remote desktop might be the only way to help me.
It is very possible. However it will require a fair amount of bandwith.
I used Remote Desktop myself quite a lot (managing my desktop from my laptop) but I connect to the desktop through LAN connection and I still can feel the 'lag'
TB

Post by TB »

So Cool <-- :)
jeremy90

Post by jeremy90 »

you can on gotomypc.com
elicoten

Post by elicoten »

Remote desktop depends on your bandwidth. I have a 256Kbps upload and I find that over the internet its quite slow, just about usable as long as I'm not doing graphics. Over a lan [upto 10Mbps] its better, but still there is a bit of lag. Remote desktop will not allow more than one person to use the computer at the same time.
The_Miroku

Post by The_Miroku »

woah big words :shock:
RO

Post by RO »

TB wrote:So Cool <-- :)
How To Use.
elicoten

Post by elicoten »

Is that a question or a statement?

I'll assume that you are asking how to use it rather than just making a statement that doesnt' make sense.

TO use it, it needs to be enabled and configured. Enable it from System Properties. To connect to it you can just use your IP address (as long as firewalls don't block it). It uses by default port 3389, but this can be changed with a registry hack.

This feature is only available on XP Pro.
zktz

Post by zktz »

elicoten wrote:Is that a question or a statement?

I'll assume that you are asking how to use it rather than just making a statement that doesnt' make sense.

TO use it, it needs to be enabled and configured. Enable it from System Properties. To connect to it you can just use your IP address (as long as firewalls don't block it). It uses by default port 3389, but this can be changed with a registry hack.

This feature is only available on XP Pro.
windows 2000 is also available .
rwshthn

i cant know

Post by rwshthn »

what is your question man