GMail Drive

Any duscussion regarding softwares can be carried out here.
V3RT1G0

Post by V3RT1G0 »

the only bad thing about this is that the max file size is only 10mb :(

SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

V3RT1G0 wrote:the only bad thing about this is that the max file size is only 10mb :(
Hey, but as far as i know, the gmail drive overcomes this limitation of gmail!! Please confirm to this knowledge of mine if somebody has used it.
Mizo

Post by Mizo »

i use it from time to time its a good serves from google
gVeR

Post by gVeR »

aha thx , I will get +3 gb hard drive from google :)
elicoten

Post by elicoten »

the gmail drive overcomes this limitation of gmail!! Please confirm to this knowledge of mine if somebody has used it.
I believe that this is the whole point of the GDrive - to overcome the 10Mb file size attachment limit. The other reason to use it is that it integrates into "My Computer"/Windows Explorer.

This is based on theory, as I have downloaded but never installed or used the GDrive. I understand that Google are planning to release an official GDrive, but in a different form. This will not be tied to GMail, but will be a separate storage service. I don't have any specific link for it, but I am sure a google search will pull up all the speculation you want.
fear_fucks

excuse me !!!!!

Post by fear_fucks »

can ne tell me that wht is GMAIL DRIVE ?
Hogx

Post by Hogx »

GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google Gmail account, allowing you to use Gmail as a storage medium.

GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google Gmail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your Gmail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.

Ever since Google started to offer users a Gmail e-mail account, which includes storage space of 2000 megabytes, you have had plenty of storage space but not a lot to fill it up with. With GMail Drive you can easily copy files to your Gmail account and retrieve them again.
When you create a new file using GMail Drive, it generates an e-mail and posts it to your account. The e-mail appears in your normal Inbox folder, and the file is attached as an e-mail attachment. GMail Drive periodically checks your mail account (using the Gmail search function) to see if new files have arrived and to rebuild the directory structures. But basically GMail Drive acts as any other hard-drive installed on your computer.
You can copy files to and from the GMail Drive folder simply by using drag'n'drop like you're used to with the normal Explorer folders.

Because the Gmail files will clutter up your Inbox folder, you may wish to create a filter in Gmail to automatically move the files (prefixed with the GMAILFS letters in the subject) to your archived mail folder.

Please note that GMail Drive is still an experimental tool. There's still a number of limitations of the file-system (such as total filename size must be less than 65 characters). Since the tool hooks up with the free Gmail Service provided by Google, changes in the Gmail system may break the tool's ability to function. I cannot guarantee that files stored in this manner will be accessible in the future.

17 Sep 2005 update: Google restructured the Gmail login procedures again and previous versions of the tool fail to log in. The new version also adds the ability to double-**** to launch files and FileOpen dialog support.
Please be aware that support for this tool may suspend at any time if Google decides to block its use.
4 Dec 2005 update: Several improvements: Security warning on unsafe files, better XP-look / drag-images, new graphics by Jay Hilwig, better error reporting, Win64 bit support, fewer refreshes.
18 Apr 2006 update: A change in the Gmail.com login may cause a "Disc is full" error. Get the latest version to access files again.
Installation Requirements
Internet Explorer 5 or better
Installation Guide

* Extract the ZIP file to a temporary folder.
* Run the Setup application.

Links
http://www.herbsforlife.nl/download/