Run multiple operating systems concurrently

General discussion regarding computers can be carried out here.
elicoten

Run multiple operating systems concurrently

Post by elicoten »

Ever wanted to try another operating system without messing up your computer? You might have heard of live CDs. These are very good for trying an operating system, but until you get used to it, you have no computer to use. It also takes time to startup and shutdown for when you want to change between the live CD and your main operating system.

I have a very cool answer for this problem. QEMU. It allows you to run an operating system on top of another one. If your main Operating System is XP Professional (like me), you could use QEMU to run any other version of Windows, Linux, or even a MAC operating system with its PowerPC emulation.

You can run an unlimited number of Virtual machines at the same time. Its ideal if you currently use Windows and want to learn Linux without loosing your Windows in the mean time. It can go onto your network so that whatever OS you run can connect straight up to the internet as if it was connected to a LAN. Start with Qemu Manager. Its also a good idea to download the QEMU accellerator. You can download this from http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/download.html - the current version is 0.7.2

Installing the accelerator is not obvious at first so if you are having trouble just post here and I'll give you instructions.

Does anyone think this is actually useful for them?

TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

This might come in handy to me trying to learn Linux that is optimized for gaming. With so many types of Linux it is hard to settle for just one :P.

Will download this sometime when I start to learn Linux, thank you.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
elicoten

Post by elicoten »

You can guess what I have been using to test out ReactOS on!! :wink:
boyvnca

Post by boyvnca »

i will try it, how it work
elicoten

Post by elicoten »

Are you asking a question or simply stating that you will try it? I was confused by
how it work
Eli
a2zeducation

RE

Post by a2zeducation »

I have downloaded it and will give it a try on sunday, thnx mate 8)

Amant
vn29

Post by vn29 »

let try it , how it work
elicoten

Post by elicoten »

You install QEMU and it runs as a program. If you use QEMU manager its all self explanatory. You run the "Create virtual machine" wizard to create your virtual machine, then you need to find an operating system.

You can install any operating system, just you need the installation media (usually a CD). If its free download the ISO image from the internet and you can use this from QEMU. If you already have a physical CD, you can use this as well (although you should be aware that if it is Windows you may ahave a problem with licensing as you are only licensed to use it on one computer noramlly) If you want specific step by step instructions, please PM me.
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

hmm well this helped me a little i learned new stuff :P
darko

Post by darko »

it's a good program, i used it once, the only problem that i had with it is that it takes up lots of Ram, and you need to assigne lots of rams for the operating system functions correctly, specially if you are runnin XP on XP
big problems there, otherwise it a good program

Regards
Darko
Darko