wht your views?

Share your ideas of a new website. Maybe you might inspire someone to kick off another .com boom!!

Moderator: TheCrymsonLegends

g007

wht your views?

Post by g007 »

A site that can only be attractive if it consist the best graphics , best coding.etc.

wht your views?

delivi

Post by delivi »

a site needs to have good content first. It should be unique.

then comes good coding, then comes the looks.
monk

artistic webs

Post by monk »

if we are talking 'attractive' i dont think looks would come last. but sure content is all-important too.

where is the line between content and layout and code... it may be a bit geeky but i love sites for their designs myself, im thinking now too of things like http://www.csszengarden.com/ and that.

myself, i tend to find attractive more in coding than in images. i am also better at coding than image editing so that may ****.

if we are talking 'attractive' not to me exactly but to a consumer in general, then i believe the best images will attract most and play a large part.

note: i will someday design a site i have in mind (without content for now) in memory of the great early computer days. im not that old but i remember the ms-dos and comodore64 games ... and i want to translate that simple style into a webpage. this may have been done, but i have a pretty cool image in mind...

peace.
m
http://monk.thesmokylounge.com ... might be a bit too psychedelic for you.
Lithium

Post by Lithium »

Design does not necessarily refer to using Photoshop to make a template or writing in whatever complicatedscripting language to make a site.

Design can be simple, minimalistic, not require Photoshop, and use simple HTML and CSS. Good design is the ability to display (good) content in an effetive way that motivates your viewer to stay on your site, and even moreso, to come back. A good site concentrates on what will be convenient for the viewer. People are lazy. They don't want to wait for a flash animation that takes hours before seeing another page. Your average viewer doesn't give a rats ass if you used Java, Flash, VB, and whatever else you want. They want to be able to use the resources made available to them, they want a clear navigation, a site that's easy to understand and that puts an emphasis on the content: they want convenience. So no, a good site does not require the best graphics or best coding. Some of the best sites out there don't even use graphics. Graphic files are larger files than text files. That means pages take longer. There have been researches that show that on average a person close the window after 5 seconds of waiting or so. They care about spped. If your definition of a good site is a technically proficient and mistake-free site, then your not going to be generating as much traffic as the sites that concentrate more on their target audience and their manner of presenting content effectively (which is often done in simple ways). Your every day Joe doesn't care if there's an end tag missing on line 56. They just want to see the content. There's more to good webdesign than flawless code and graphics.
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Lithium wrote:Design does not necessarily refer to using Photoshop to make a template or writing in whatever complicatedscripting language to make a site.

Design can be simple, minimalistic, not require Photoshop, and use simple HTML and CSS. Good design is the ability to display (good) content in an effetive way that motivates your viewer to stay on your site, and even moreso, to come back. A good site concentrates on what will be convenient for the viewer. People are lazy. They don't want to wait for a flash animation that takes hours before seeing another page. Your average viewer doesn't give a rats ass if you used Java, Flash, VB, and whatever else you want. They want to be able to use the resources made available to them, they want a clear navigation, a site that's easy to understand and that puts an emphasis on the content: they want convenience. So no, a good site does not require the best graphics or best coding. Some of the best sites out there don't even use graphics. Graphic files are larger files than text files. That means pages take longer. There have been researches that show that on average a person close the window after 5 seconds of waiting or so. They care about spped. If your definition of a good site is a technically proficient and mistake-free site, then your not going to be generating as much traffic as the sites that concentrate more on their target audience and their manner of presenting content effectively (which is often done in simple ways). Your every day Joe doesn't care if there's an end tag missing on line 56. They just want to see the content. There's more to good webdesign than flawless code and graphics.
I agree with you some sites get too fancy and takes forever to load on some connections. I believe a website should be good looking with a simple design. I do like the way PHP websites are designed but sometimes people think it's too much. If the website needs to be flashy then it has something to hide, if you want to catch someone's eye then add a nice logo/header and keep the rest of the site simple. Put in all your content and clear navigation. Make sure your content is easily available to your visitors and the text built up right. You don't want to half do your content because if people can't quite understand what they are reading they will go back to google and find another site.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

There are a few standard guildlines for website designing. Though content are as important, it is no doubt secondary when it comes to designing. Say when a user visits an url, the first thing he sees will be the design, the overall feel of the website, then find the content he is looking for.

I'd like to here TS's stand on this topic, otherwise it will be another dead thread.

[Edit By: TCL] Merged doubled posts! Please try to keep from doing it again.
Gebbo

Site

Post by Gebbo »

Good content then coding and graphics is best :P
.............................:: Spirit of Fire ::..................................

TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

thetarget wrote:I'd like to here TS's stand on this topic, otherwise it will be another dead thread.
Who exactly is TS? And please try not to double post for it is sort of against the rules depending on what thread you are using. Like as in How-To's it allows you to post multiple times and announcements that SHAdmin makes.

But yeah who is TS?
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

Oh did I double post? haha I didnt check.. sometimes internet run so slow I dont even know the data has been sent or not, the bar at the bottom is not moving.

TS is thread starter btw.
Alwahsh

Post by Alwahsh »

High graphics means slow loading and slow website so it will be better to make a medium graphics that gives nice web and fast too .