Using A Television As A Monitor!

Write your "How To" regarding anything you are comfortable with and you feel it will help the forum members.

NOTE :: All threads started here will appear only after the approval from Administrator
ShakiShingi

Using A Television As A Monitor!

Post by ShakiShingi »

How to use your television as a second monitor!
First, you're going to need a cord, or converter if you will. This should have a plug that you would stick into your computer's Video card.Image If you do not know what a video card is, it is the thing that makes your monitor work. Next you need a red/yellow/white cord, double sided. They are commonly used with DVD players to hook the connection up to your TV.Image Now on your TV, there should be slots for the red white and yellow connection, it's pretty obvious you just put the cords into the TV. It's connecting what goes into what slot. After you have successfully finished hooking everything up, you will need to do some Small things on your computer. On your computer right **** the desktop and select "Screen Resolution". Image Once you have that open there will be a screen, with 1 box. The box will have a 1 with a circle around it. What you want to do is select "Detect" beside that image. After that, 2 boxes should be on the screen. Now this part is where i cannot help you past it. But you should be selecting display to your needs. IE: You want to have your TV as your main desktop. You select "2.TV". You will have many different options, but i suggest you toy around with them a little first. Also to finish it off. Your TV can be a normal one (mine is) but it'll have bad quality. But you need to select "Input" or "TV Video". The button that toggles the output/input on your television. This will switch to the computer screen. Have fun!
Thanks,
Shaki

SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Thank you for sharing this very useful howto...

Bet now i can use my 15.4" laptop screen only while traveling, while using my 32" tv connected to the laptop while i am at home!!

40 points have been credited into your account for this post.
ShakiShingi

Post by ShakiShingi »

Your welcome (PS: You added posts not points :P)
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

lol... sorry about that... Corrected the posts and points
josephnm

Post by josephnm »

Nowadays most LCD TV support VGA or HDMI and so does most desktop and laptops, so there are no problem at all to use TV as a monitor.
SemenOV

Using A Television As A Mo

Post by SemenOV »

And using the open source driver, you can easily use xrandr to arrange your monitors; after you get the screen names from Code: