How To create a Linux bootable USB stick

Write your "How To" regarding anything you are comfortable with and you feel it will help the forum members.

NOTE :: All threads started here will appear only after the approval from Administrator
Virtual

How To create a Linux bootable USB stick

Post by Virtual »

Now today I will show you how to create a Linux bootable USB stick.
You can use one of the many distros out there that are fitted for USB booting but I will use DSL (Damn Small Linux) as my example now and I will show you how to install it from Windows.

First off all get a USB stick, there are many types out there and that is your choice, I recommend at least 128-256 mb one.

Step 1: Insert your USB stick into one free USB.
Step 2: Go to My Computer and right **** on your USB stick and choose format, format it as FAT32.
Step 3: Download syslinux from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/
NOTE: Download the .zip one and look for the last version.
Step 4: Unzip that archive to a directory, preferably c:\syslinux
Step 5: Open a CMD session and type cd c:\syslinux (this moves you to the directory with syslinux)
Step 6: Type in the CMD promt syslinux Z: (where Z is your USB drive)
Step 7: Download the zipped archive of DSL from [url]ftp://ftp.oss.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/distributions/damnsmall/archive/[/url]
NOTE: Search for the dsl-embedded one and the final version, at this time it is dsl-3.0.1-embedded.zip !
Step 8: Extract it to any folder you wish!
Step 9: Copy all the files from the folder you just extracted to the fresh formatted USB stick !
Step 10: Reboot from your USB stick and enjoy Damn Small Linux !

I hope this tutorial has helped you in any way and if you have any questions feel free to post them here.

(V)

SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

You have been credited 25 points for sharing the usefull "How To" with the community members.