How to build your own Router

Write your "How To" regarding anything you are comfortable with and you feel it will help the forum members.

NOTE :: All threads started here will appear only after the approval from Administrator
xakir

How to build your own Router

Post by xakir »

requirements needed for this project:

i386, or better motherboard + processor
2 PCI or ISA NICS
Floppy Drive
Harddrive (optional)
8 MB of RAM
Freesco floppy disk

Before beginning , we need to create a floppy disk in which to store Freesco (Free Cisco) - download the Freesco version .2.x

Insert a new floppy disk into your disk drive and use rawrite, which comes in the .zip file from the file you downloaded.

After that insert 2 ISA or PCI NIC cards into the system which will be used as the router. If using ISA NIC cards, be sure you know the IRQ and I/O Addresses of the cards.

If you are using PCI NICS, don't worry about the IRQ and I/O Addresses - these will be configured by Freesco itself.

Now insert the floppy disk into the system and turn it on - it will boot. Follow these steps in configuring it:

Hitting Enter on the questions will answer them with Freesco's defaults

1) Boot: (type setup)
2) When it asks for a Username and Password (both are root)
3) After, a screen will appear telling you what each color
means in setup:
Green: Required
Yellow: Option
Red: Advanced
4) Hit enter, and type the letter e on the next prompt to configure the Ethernet router
5) Hostname
6) Domain (inet is the default)
7) I/O and IRQ Questions (For ISA: Answer all the questions, For PCI: enter the first I/O address as 0, then hit enter through the left over I/O and IRQ questions.
8) Auto Detect Modems (no)
9) How many modems do you have installed (the amount you have installed)

Continue configuring you desired settings; after you are done, type s and hit enter - this will save your configuration and reboot your computer.

10) Now, connect your DSL/Cable modem to a NIC card, connect a hub/or switch to the other card, and from the hub/or switch connect to your client pcs.

If you have any problems on the way, visit the Freesco site for help if you want

SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

You have been credited 40 points for sharing the usefull "How To" with the community members.
xakir

Post by xakir »

i hope its something people will use :D