How to take better photos

Write your "How To" regarding anything you are comfortable with and you feel it will help the forum members.

NOTE :: All threads started here will appear only after the approval from Administrator
breeze

How to take better photos

Post by breeze »

Everyone seems to think that you need a very expensive and proffesional camera to take good photos. This could not be further from the truth. A simple 3 or 4 megapixel (1 megapixel = 1 million pixels) can take shots just as good. My AU$200 Canon PowerShot A530 can compete against the best, but you've got to know how to use the camera.

It's really quite simple.

Before I begin, you don't need to learn all the technical aspects of photography. You can take good shots in 'Auto' modes, but it does help to have a bit of an understanding. I won't go into it here but you can find some good information on this website.

The 'Rules'
This may seem a bit contradictory to the title, but in photography there are no rules. The 'rules' are simply guidelines as to how to take the best shots.

Rule #1: The Rule of Thirds
Images where the subject is exactly in the middle are just plain boring. The rule of thirds has been used for millenia by artists, and it has proven to improve photos. To take a photo using the rule of thirds you must use your imagination (or the camera). Image that there are three horizontal and vertical sections in your photo, like this:

Try to place your subject(s) at the intersections of the lines.

Rule #2: Fill the frame
There's no use taking a photo of something and having a lot of empty space behind your subject (or in front of it). This can lead to boring and unimaginative photos.

Rule #3: Experiment with Angles
Although eye-level shots can be great, the photos with strange angles can prove striking an surreal. Remember to look up and down as well, not everything occurs at eye-level. But try to keep your horizons level!

Rule #4: Frames
Frames can add depth to your photos, as well as leading the viewer into the picture. Frames can be anything from trees to buildings to clouds. Again, experiment!

Rule #5: Use Lines
Lines can add movement and depth to your image, as well as also leading the viewer into the image.

Again, try to keep your horizons level.

Rule#6: Avoid Cluttering
Let's face it, cluttered photos can confuse and discourage the viewer. Try to get a clear shot of your subject(s).

Rule #7: Shadows and Reflections
Shadows and reflections can prove very artistic. They add depth and contrast.

That's all for now - I hope you've learnt something. Remember: rules are made to be broken. Experiment a bit.

~ Breeze

Thanks to FotoFinish for providing pictures.

This is a message, a message from the all-mighty (me): You shall go here, you shall not complain: Breeze's Corner.
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

A bonus of 30 points have been credited into your account for the usefull Tip.
xakir

Post by xakir »

i liked this...i remember seeing this digicam with that thirds feature built-in..as in it showed those lines straight up on the lcd..
breeze

Post by breeze »

yeah - that feature is always turned on when I'm taking photos - it helps so much with the composition. It's built into almost all digital cameras now.
This is a message, a message from the all-mighty (me): You shall go here, you shall not complain: Breeze's Corner.
eyanchao

Post by eyanchao »

i think that you'd better choose a Good performance camera and Photographed raising the level of the individual is the important!!