How To: Make Your Own Game - FREE!

Write your "How To" regarding anything you are comfortable with and you feel it will help the forum members.

NOTE :: All threads started here will appear only after the approval from Administrator
The Chief

How To: Make Your Own Game - FREE!

Post by The Chief »

There are a couple of programs that I have listed below that will help you make your own game!
These programs are **** - N - Drag Programs... No Programming Required. You May Use Ruby Scripting In RPG Maker XP but it is not required...
Her Are Some Programs That I LIke The Best:

RPG Maker 2000:
Graphics
RPG Maker 2000 uses a 320 x 240 screen resolution for playing games, and has 16x16 pixel tiles, with 24x32 character sprites. Its default green message-window and menu systems are one of the first signs that a particular game was made with RPG Maker 2000, although it can be customized. Some may view these low-res graphics as a limitation, but they could also be viewed as an advantage, because the low-res graphics are not only easier on older computers, but sometimes they can be much easier to draw.
Battle Type
RPG Maker 2000 uses a Dragon Warrior-like battle system which features a classical turn-based, "front-view" battle system, where the enemy faces you directly on the screen and you do not see your characters on screen. With some tweaking, the battle system can be made to look somewhat like a "side-view" battle system.
Music
The music featured in RPG Maker 2000 consists of a large collection of MIDI files, which, by some people, have been used in programs other than RPG Maker. An example is the game 5 Days a Stranger, made with Adventure Game Studio (AGS).
Download RPG Maker 2000 Here (webpage): RPG Maker 2003:
Graphics
All graphics within RPG Maker 2003 are in 2D like its predecessor, RPG Maker 2000, and makes use of the same graphical resources. In addition, to go with RPG Maker 2003's new battle system, Battle Character and System2 sets are used. All graphical resources can be easily editted or made to suit one's needs for his or her game.
Music
RPG Maker 2003 allows the use of MIDI and WAV much like RPG Maker 2000, its predecessor, for background music, but in addition now also allows the use of MP3 files, which were a heavily wanted feature back in RPG Maker 2000 due to its far smaller size than uncompressed WAV files. However, the majority of music used still tends to lean on MIDIs due to large file size in MP3s when compared to MIDIs.
Download RPG Maker 2003 here (webpage):

**RPG Maker XP:
Graphics
RPG Maker XP, also known as RMXP, is the first RPG Maker since RPG Maker 95 to feature a resolution of 640x480, compared to the 320x240 resolution of RPG Maker 2000 and RPG Maker 2003. This meant that RMXP graphics are less grainy, and of higher-quality than those of previous versions in terms of pixellation and detail. Due to worries about hardware compatibilities, Enterbrain decided to perform the rendering in Software-mode only.
Ruby Scripting System
RMXP was the first in the RPG Maker series to feature the Ruby programming language, which adds great flexibility and enhancement to the RPG Maker scripting system. To make it easier for beginners to customize their project the RMXP uses a kit, the so called RGSS(Ruby Game Scripting System), of predefined classes and program code for the standard functions of a RPG-like game. A English language resource for tutorials and scripts for the RGSS is the Creation Asylum Forum.
Creating MMORPGs with RPG Maker XP
In October 2006 two youngsters, nicknamed Me™ and SharkTooth/Mr. Mo presented their online game engine for RGSS: NetPlay Plus™, which made it possible to play an RPG Maker XP game simultaneously online. It's free to download and use for non-commercial purposes.
The Materials of RPG Maker XP
RPG Maker XP uses a wide array of different graphic resources. These include, title screens, game over screens, character sets, tile sets, transition effects, battle animations, battle icons, item icons, backgrounds, and window skins.
RPG MAKER XP IS ONLY A 30 DAY TRIAL! YOU MUST BUY THE FULL VERSION FOR $60.00 or download trial. you may do both here:
Game Maker:
Using easy to learn drag-and-drop actions, you can create professional looking games within very little time. You can make games with backgrounds, animated graphics, music and sound effects, and even 3d games! And when you've become more experienced, there is a built-in programming language, which gives you the full flexibility of creating games with Game Maker. What is best, is the fact that Game Maker can be used free of charge.
You can do anything you want with the games you produce, you can even sell them! Also, if you register your copy of Game Maker, you can unlock extra functions, which extend the capabilities of the program. Game Maker comes preloaded with a collection of freeware images and sounds to get you started.
Game Maker Official Website: ** There is also a version of RPG Maker XP called: RPG Maker XP Postallity Knights Enhanced Edition. IT IS ILLEGAL AND I ADVISE YOU NOT TO DOWNLOAD IT! It does not have all of the features as the official version. I truly are against this illegal program and everyone that uses RPG Maker would agree with me. If you are caught with this version, You will get in trouble!

Anyway, I truly hope that this thread might inspire someone to start making their own games! If you would like some links to some RPG Maker Communities, PM Me and i will give you a list... I can think of atleast 3 really great sites right now:

Stifu Home Page
Monkey Productions
Phan X Games

If you need any help for these programs, PM me and i will see what I can do! :)

Thanks,
Chief

SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

A bonus of 30 points have been credited into your account for this very usefull tutorial
The Chief

Post by The Chief »

i just thought i'd bump this mesasge... and, im working on my own game now and creating my own website... (sadly not with Smokyhosts [cuz i got a free resellers package and i can host myself]) anyways, i can help anyone who needs help with RPG Maker, just reply here or eamil me at: nick.dugger@inbox.com
i am no longer doing: Village Productions...
it will be called: Point Blank Studios

my projects:
  • Main Website for PBS
  • Point Blank Radio (my online Rock Station)
  • Stargate: Extinction (my RPG Game)
  • I will do certain requests for web design, graphic design and maybe more... just ask!
Gebbo

games

Post by Gebbo »

The Chief wrote:
There are a couple of programs that I have listed below that will help you make your own game!
These programs are **** - N - Drag Programs... No Programming Required. You May Use Ruby Scripting In RPG Maker XP but it is not required...
Her Are Some Programs That I LIke The Best:

RPG Maker 2000:
Graphics
RPG Maker 2000 uses a 320 x 240 screen resolution for playing games, and has 16x16 pixel tiles, with 24x32 character sprites. Its default green message-window and menu systems are one of the first signs that a particular game was made with RPG Maker 2000, although it can be customized. Some may view these low-res graphics as a limitation, but they could also be viewed as an advantage, because the low-res graphics are not only easier on older computers, but sometimes they can be much easier to draw.
Battle Type
RPG Maker 2000 uses a Dragon Warrior-like battle system which features a classical turn-based, "front-view" battle system, where the enemy faces you directly on the screen and you do not see your characters on screen. With some tweaking, the battle system can be made to look somewhat like a "side-view" battle system.
Music
The music featured in RPG Maker 2000 consists of a large collection of MIDI files, which, by some people, have been used in programs other than RPG Maker. An example is the game 5 Days a Stranger, made with Adventure Game Studio (AGS).
Download RPG Maker 2000 Here (webpage): RPG Maker 2003:
Graphics
All graphics within RPG Maker 2003 are in 2D like its predecessor, RPG Maker 2000, and makes use of the same graphical resources. In addition, to go with RPG Maker 2003's new battle system, Battle Character and System2 sets are used. All graphical resources can be easily editted or made to suit one's needs for his or her game.
Music
RPG Maker 2003 allows the use of MIDI and WAV much like RPG Maker 2000, its predecessor, for background music, but in addition now also allows the use of MP3 files, which were a heavily wanted feature back in RPG Maker 2000 due to its far smaller size than uncompressed WAV files. However, the majority of music used still tends to lean on MIDIs due to large file size in MP3s when compared to MIDIs.
Download RPG Maker 2003 here (webpage):

**RPG Maker XP:
Graphics
RPG Maker XP, also known as RMXP, is the first RPG Maker since RPG Maker 95 to feature a resolution of 640x480, compared to the 320x240 resolution of RPG Maker 2000 and RPG Maker 2003. This meant that RMXP graphics are less grainy, and of higher-quality than those of previous versions in terms of pixellation and detail. Due to worries about hardware compatibilities, Enterbrain decided to perform the rendering in Software-mode only.
Ruby Scripting System
RMXP was the first in the RPG Maker series to feature the Ruby programming language, which adds great flexibility and enhancement to the RPG Maker scripting system. To make it easier for beginners to customize their project the RMXP uses a kit, the so called RGSS(Ruby Game Scripting System), of predefined classes and program code for the standard functions of a RPG-like game. A English language resource for tutorials and scripts for the RGSS is the Creation Asylum Forum.
Creating MMORPGs with RPG Maker XP
In October 2006 two youngsters, nicknamed Me™ and SharkTooth/Mr. Mo presented their online game engine for RGSS: NetPlay Plus™, which made it possible to play an RPG Maker XP game simultaneously online. It's free to download and use for non-commercial purposes.
The Materials of RPG Maker XP
RPG Maker XP uses a wide array of different graphic resources. These include, title screens, game over screens, character sets, tile sets, transition effects, battle animations, battle icons, item icons, backgrounds, and window skins.
RPG MAKER XP IS ONLY A 30 DAY TRIAL! YOU MUST BUY THE FULL VERSION FOR $60.00 or download trial. you may do both here:
Game Maker:
Using easy to learn drag-and-drop actions, you can create professional looking games within very little time. You can make games with backgrounds, animated graphics, music and sound effects, and even 3d games! And when you've become more experienced, there is a built-in programming language, which gives you the full flexibility of creating games with Game Maker. What is best, is the fact that Game Maker can be used free of charge.
You can do anything you want with the games you produce, you can even sell them! Also, if you register your copy of Game Maker, you can unlock extra functions, which extend the capabilities of the program. Game Maker comes preloaded with a collection of freeware images and sounds to get you started.
Game Maker Official Website: ** There is also a version of RPG Maker XP called: RPG Maker XP Postallity Knights Enhanced Edition. IT IS ILLEGAL AND I ADVISE YOU NOT TO DOWNLOAD IT! It does not have all of the features as the official version. I truly are against this illegal program and everyone that uses RPG Maker would agree with me. If you are caught with this version, You will get in trouble!

Anyway, I truly hope that this thread might inspire someone to start making their own games! If you would like some links to some RPG Maker Communities, PM Me and i will give you a list... I can think of atleast 3 really great sites right now:

Stifu Home Page
Monkey Productions
Phan X Games

If you need any help for these programs, PM me and i will see what I can do! :)

Thanks,
Chief
Nice list, game maker is really good we use it in college.. :P
.............................:: Spirit of Fire ::..................................

josephnm

Post by josephnm »

The Chief wrote:i just thought i'd bump this mesasge... and, im working on my own game now and creating my own website... (sadly not with Smokyhosts [cuz i got a free resellers package and i can host myself]) anyways, i can help anyone who needs help with RPG Maker, just reply here or eamil me at: nick.dugger@inbox.com
mind telling us your website and a little bit more about your game here?
jasondsouza

Post by jasondsouza »

very informative dude... thanks for the post...
--jasondsouza
ME working on a very new site. (Coming soon)
Come to my web Site