Murbza

Post by Murbza »

1. Linux Rulez, Windows stinks!!

2. Maybe the Bluescreen of death will be fixed this time :mad:

I try to speak my best english :D
(I live in Belgium)
damen57

Post by damen57 »

BSOD's are caused by various issues, not ALWAYS windows' fault, Drivers cause them aswell. :)
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Murbza wrote:1. Linux Rulez, Windows stinks!!

2. Maybe the Bluescreen of death will be fixed this time :mad:
We don't need none of this in these forums. Most Windows users don't say much about Linux OPSys but in the long run Windows offers more functionality than most Linux ones do.

Now as far as which one is better it's a user biased opinion which means there is absolutely no facts to support it which means don't post stuff like that here.

I have Vista 64-Bit on two of my computers and I ran the Beta Vista when it was being tested. I didn't have problems on anything not the Beta or the 64-Bit Versions. So I honestly cannot comment on why people hate Vista so much.

From what I read Windows 7 is suppose to be a minor upgrade from Vista as Windows 98 SE was to 98 and 98 to 95. It's not much of an upgrade and you cannot really tell the difference. The only thing this will cause is Vista to drop in price, which will be good to future buyers of the OpSys. They've spent a ton of money fixing up Vista and instead of releasing it into the Vista system they put all it's resources to completely make a new system. :/ Is Windows 7 worth the money? No it's still Vista, just worked over to make it work better. To hide the flaws of Vista's original system. But like I said I have Vista and I absolutely love it. My computer doesn't lag, I can play games on windowed mode with the Glass Theme on without any issues. I've never BSOD, and nothing bad occurs.

Most people base what they feel for Vista off of what they read/hear from people who attempt to install it on computers not meant for Vista. Yeah you are going to have a lot of issues but if you read "Ready for Vista" then you know it's good to go. Same thing for "Waterproof" would you put your computer in water thinking it's waterproofed? No, so don't put Vista on a computer not designed for it and you won't have issues.

Sorry for the long post, but from everything I read from Microsoft on their new OpSys there isn't enough of a difference to make it worth while.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Well, as far as I feel, it is just that people need a change after getting too used to Windows, and for that matter Linux was the ideal choice. Guess this is the only reason that all those who try Linux just once, they say that linux is way better than Vista!!

Frankly speaking, it is true that Linux uses no more than 1/4th the resources that Vista uses and still competes in the graphics and user interface, but as TheCrymsonLegends correctly said, the final disicion is slightly biased from user to user.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

SHAdmin, usually Vista does use more resources, but when I installed Vista on my old computer, it ran better than Ubuntu Linux did, because Vista just scaled back usage to match hardware.

But I agree that Vista can use alot of resources if you let it, but the RAM usage in Vista is actually tricky: Windows Vista uses 'superfetch' which means it precaches the programs you use most into RAM, so it looks like Vista is using tons of RAM, when it's not. If the computer asks for the RAM space, Vista un-caches the programs.

Also, Windows 7 isn't only a minor upgrade. The kernel isnt changed much, but remember WIndows Vista's kernel is really modular, they can just change all the different cores that plug into the kernel.

One major change is that games that won't run on Vista because it hasn't got Direct Sound, or Direct Play will work on Seven, because DX9 and DX10 can run concurrently in Windows Seven. Also the taskbar has changed. Alot. Not a major preformance change, I don't think, but it looks completely different.
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
sazabi

Post by sazabi »

Here is the infomation of windows 7 :)

http://www.windowsvienna.com/windows-7-faq-a16.html
Jason

Post by Jason »

Murbza wrote:Maybe the Bluescreen of death will be fixed this time
Fixed? It was never broken. It only comes up when there's an error. What do you want, it to be red?

I watched a video from the BBC and this guy installed Windows 7 in just under twenty minutes apparently ...so am curious to test this. I'm sure it's just because the computer he was using was like a mean machine.
Otherwise Windows 7 looks like a rip off of Vista. I think, almost positive, I'll be going to Apple Mac' for my next computer.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Jason wrote:Fixed? It was never broken. It only comes up when there's an error. What do you want, it to be red?

I watched a video from the BBC and this guy installed Windows 7 in just under twenty minutes apparently ...so am curious to test this. I'm sure it's just because the computer he was using was like a mean machine.
Otherwise Windows 7 looks like a rip off of Vista. I think, almost positive, I'll be going to Apple Mac' for my next computer.
Well... ladies and gents... I am posting this here message to you direct from Windows 7, yes, you read correctly: Windows 7.
I downloaded the Beta earlier, burnt it to DVD and installed it. I didn't have any major problems with installing it, just a few driver errors but that's to be expected and are fixed now.

What's changed? I would like to answer to 100%-ly but I cannot; surprisingly a lot has changed. From the start-up to the desktop. Yes sure it looks similar to Windows Vista, however, once you walk around you generally feel it's its own and not a copy (so, with that said I apologise for my naive views earlier).
A few things to point out though:

Below you will notice that a program shortcut on the Start menu has an arrow button allowing the user to display a menu adjacent to the shortcut, which provides more options. For Windows Live Messenger, as an example, you can select your status and even choose to sign out (unfortunately I wasn't able to take a screen shot of this 'cause the bloody thing won't show up, so what I have provided below will suffice).

Also, there is a snazzy feature that rather amuses me: by shaking a window all other open windows minimize, shake the window again and those windows will restore.

Erm, what else is there? Oh yeah... Below, in the screen shot, you will notice the new look of the Taskbar within Windows 7. Now, I've seen on videos (from the official Windows website) that if one hovers over the tasks open then one will see live previews of it {even of individual tabs in IE 8 for example}, now, unfortunately I cannot seem to figure out how to get this yet but when I do I'll post a preview. ;) However, for now below will do.

I may as well show you the new look of Paint whilst I am at it...
(also, Wordpad has too been introduced to the Office 07 ribbon)

Well, if you would like to join the Beta testing yourself or just wish to check out Windows 7 some more then navigate your browser to: Windows 7's website.
delivi

Post by delivi »

I've downloaded the Windows 7 ISO image and will first try it out on Virutal PC.

:)
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

Just finished installing Windows 7 as my new primary OS, and I really like it. It's better than Vista, though it took a bit of getting used to in a couple areas. I highly recommend you try it out!
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti