The Eclectic Electric Sportscar

Talk, introduce or announce any new emerging technologies that have excited you.
MrAlex

Post by MrAlex »

Z0MG!
Now we are going to have electric cars!
This COULD change the world as we know it!

By Jon Alain Guzik

I've seen the future and it has four wheels, an electric motor and moves like the wind. The future is painted bright red, made of carbon fiber and is powered by 6,831 rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. The future has a top speed of close to 130 miles an hour and has a fuel efficiency--if you could refer to something without a gas tank and an internal combustion engine as fuel efficient--of about one penny a mile. The future has a range of 250 miles when topped off on clean-burning electric power.

Oh, the future also does 0-60 in 4 seconds and kicks you in the chest with more torque than you are used to. Drop the future into gear, hold onto your hats and glasses and away you go, off into the wild blue yonder. I've driven the future, its name is the Tesla Roadster and, to tell the truth, it's pretty darn awesome.

I've driven Audis at top speed on the autobahn, Lamborghinis on racetracks, Ducati's through the mountains outside of Bologna, Italy. I once sat shotgun in a vintage 1950s Mercedes-Benz SL Gullwing as we bombed up the Pacific Coast Highway at 125 miles an hour, the straight-six screaming, the ocean blowing past. But now that I've driven the Tesla at close to top speed on Caribbean Road in Sunnyvale, my perspective has changed.

Now, to tell the truth, I'm spoiled rotten.

Spoiled from the wind in my hair, spoiled because my previous gas-powered automotive experiences were matched, even somewhat surpassed, by a device designed by a team Silicon Valley geeks out of laptop batteries, carbon fiber and a lot of 21st Century gumption.

It makes sense, if you think about it, that a vehicle like Tesla would be an "Only in Silicon Valley" story, what with Tesla getting their initial monetary backing from what enigmatic CEO and co-founder of Tesla, Martin Eberhard calls, "The Sand Hill Road Shuffle", named after the venture capital firms that litter Sand Hill Road in Menlo Park, California.

Tesla Motors got their start in July, 2003 when Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning, both Silicon Valley veterans, decided that they wanted to create a company that made a fully-electric vehicle that was both efficient and fun to drive. If you spent anytime behind the wheel of General Motors' EV-1, then you would know what a tough task that would be. Electric cars in the past had two things against them, one being a tiny range per charge (usually around eighty to one hundred miles) and the other being a lack of, to put it politely, driving finesse. They were too slow and drove harshly and were not the type of vehicles intended for those twisty roads that enthusiasts prefer to drive.

Eberhard, being an automotive freak himself, knew this and wanted to create a new and exciting vehicle. Eberhard and Tarpenning then partnered with PayPal co-founder and future-leaning entrepreneur Elon Musk, went through three rounds of startup funding and raised $60 million for their dream project, Tesla Motors. They would launch the company with something beyond audacious, their first vehicle, the Tesla Roadster, a 100,000-dollar electric car that was both environmentally friendly, good-looking and a whole heck of a lot of fun to drive.

What you can expect from the Tesla Roadster is a carbon-fiber body, a chassis developed and built by Lotus, a two-speed electrically actuated manual transmission mated to a 3-phase, 4-pole AC induction motor with a rotating magnetic field and a "red-line" of 13,500 rpm, which is fairly close to the redline in a Ferrari Formula One car. Plus, so many electronic gizmos and doodads that it makes the Honda Civic in your driveway, technologically speaking, look like Henry Ford's 1908 Model-T in comparison. The Roadster also has a USB 2.0 port, so forget about tuning the Tesla Roadster; this car is all about the hack. In all, a pretty amazing feat for a company about as far west from Detroit, in both spirit and execution, as the continent would allow.

And yet, the Roadster's performance features are as robust as any of the big sports car manufacturers. It is also big on safety, vowing to meet and surpass Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Every Tesla Roadster will come with its own Electric Vehicle Service Equipment (EVSE), better known as a home charging kit. Included in the kit is a smoke detector that automatically shuts off power to the charging station if smoke is detected, reducing the chances of an electrical fire. The car's engineers also included a feature that prevents the car from being driven or even moving if the car is connected to the charger.

Now that the Tesla Roadster is close to rolling off the line, gas is near three dollars a gallon, the U.S. has no cohesive energy policy and the only electric car on the market looks a lot like a Lotus Elise and sounds like something out of I, Robot. When I asked Mr. Eberhard about his reasoning behind Tesla Motors * is he an environmentalist? A technologist? He paused and answered, "I'm both. None of us are just one thing. Am I an engineer? Am I a left-handed person? Am I a liberal? Am I an environmentalist? I'm lots of things, right? And we are not all 100 percent consistent either. You know, I do care about my footprint on the earth. I do care about global warming, but I also like to drive. And sometimes when I drive, I'm beating the hell out of my car. I'm wasting energy too you know, it's just the way I am. And I think that I'm not the only one like that."

No, he's not the only one, but hopefully sometime in the next year, if you can get past the 200 plus person waiting list, you too can be a little bit of everything and have a blast behind the wheel while you figure out what it is that makes you tick. Until then, keep saving for a Roadster of your own.

Pictures:

Wont be back till Sunday!
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

Hmm ok this is expected. Not new anyway.

It will change the world. But not so fast, I'd say, the % of electric cars in the world at 2035 will only be maybe 5%? or 10%?

Hybrid cars are the "in" thing now, electric cars will have to wait.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

Electric cars would be interesting, and definitely cheaper to "refuel" :P The petrol price is humungous in Australia.
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
MrAlex

Post by MrAlex »

Hmm...
But even if it did get out,
no-one would do anything about it!
Because we in human nature are lazy.
So we will just kill ourselves.
We have already destoryed our envoronment so far.
Wont be back till Sunday!
bckl6244

Post by bckl6244 »

[quote=""][/QUOTE]
High heels are among the amazing shoes that absolutely no women can stop putting them on. Women pass away hard of these shoes as well as yearn to possess at least just one pair of any attractive rearfoot flip flops once within their life time. And this summer time, you're ready to put on heel sandals to whirl up the summer style queen in you. One will discover excellent styles of back heel shoes available for sale ranging from pumps, in order to attractive strappy sandals focused to the style requirements of the design aware women.
This summer, you are able to shop for the very best styles of this shoes obtainable in the actual footwear marketplace that lots of ladies give in to buying all of them. This particular season's footwear styles are actually the master bits of the art work which highlights the ladies of all ages. These statements have introduced for you a few such amazing top three rearfoot sandals which are getting grandstand product sales within the footwear market. Below listed in detail are the top 3 of these shoes which are sure to grab your own heart.
Nine Western 'Fronttime' Higher Heels
Available within 5 equally spectacular fantastic colours, these 'Fronttime' rearfoot sandals through 9 West are the guaranteed shoes for this summer time design wardrobe. Rich in style and fantastic in style, these flip flops will give you a damn sensuous look in the group. They'll be an excellent wager to put on along with dresses and even trousers too.
These footwear is fashioned with obvious leather-based upper and have a variable 1 / 4 straps with buckle closure that provides snug fit comfort and ease towards the wearer therefore maintaining all of them in fashion. The actual 4inch protected back heel provides height therefore leaving **** curves on your body. The lightly cushioned insoles allow cushioning comfort for your tired feet thus allowing trouble-free stroll.
Steve Madden 'Lezlie' Pumps
Let your own intercourse attractiveness feel the roofs with these **** 'Lezlie' high heel look foot pumps through Steve Madden. There's nothing unique to show relating to this footwear but still they are attractive enough that each women will lounge to possess. Obtainable in black multi, dark patent, Burgundy multiple as well as green multi, these shoes would be the correct wager for any suits or even trousers to give you an easy as well as stunning appearance.
They are made along with patent lining or even pony locks upper that add attract to these footwear. The gently cushioned shoe inserts comfort and ease the feet by similarly distributing the body stress over all the feet in the heel towards the foot. 4inch protected or piled heel, rearfoot, concealed mini-platform mid-sole, big buckle about the higher toe area and also the printed materials are a handful of other amazing features of these types of look foot sandals that provide a **** appeal anyplace you decide to go.
Oh Deer!Twiggy Sling-back Sandals
These 'Twiggy' peep-toe sling-back flip flops from Oh yea Deer would be the correct cup of tea for any dance floor. These shoes shine as well as glitter glue along with every step a person walk as well as dance in them in any party. Fashioned with fine mesh as well as woven leather-based upper, this footwear is the right bet to put on along with any kind of evening dress to achieve a sensational appearance in the celebration and stun the on-lookers with your smashing looks within this shoes.
Gebbo

Electric Cards

Post by Gebbo »

Sounds Interesting, will definately look it up!
.............................:: Spirit of Fire ::..................................