The $100 laptop

Any discussion regarding hardware features as well as hardware troubleshooting can be carried out here.
barnes

Post by barnes »

Geeze, no one likes to just Google stuff here?

Yes, there will be a $100 dollar laptop. Its developed under the name of OLPC (The One Laptop Per Child Program.) It runs a custom Linux based OS known as Suger, which is availible to download and test with a LiveCD.

How ever, they will no be commercially avalible, atlease at the $100 price tag. They have plans to release commerical units for 200, which will include the price of a second laptop which is shipped to a third world nation.

The laptop itself is quite decent. Built with rubber keyboard for duribility, web cam, Wifi (802.11G) built in speakers. It will be a great PC for experimentation, cheap projects, and will push hackers to a new level, with laptops at a nearly dispoable price. (Think hidden laptops broadcasting wifi signals in cities and towns.)

I personally am ready and willing to purchase one with the $200 tag. Considering it will be a fun project laptop, and helps a third world nation.

More information can be found at their site: Laptop.org

SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

That was a great peace of information 'barnes'. Thank you for sharing it.
web_master

Post by web_master »

Any laptop/computer for that kind of monkey is going to be no good.
barnes

Post by barnes »

web_master wrote:Any laptop/computer for that kind of monkey is going to be no good.
You can be arrogant like that...or you can take the time to read the information and learn that it is an all around decent laptop.

Grow up.
Knox

Post by Knox »

nope i've never heard of it..
well most probably gonna be a scam hehe
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

A $100 dollar laptop might be handy for word-processing, but it would be absolutely useless for any sort of gaming, not something I'd replace my desktop computer with.
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

The reasons behind such a project were never to make a profit. Yes, I have seen these laptops. The pictures with the handcrank are infact real. They are not meant for gaming or anything high tech but to allow children from lower economic levels access to the internet and basic computing needs.

The one drawback I havent seen a viable answer to wireless internet getting into the areas where these children live and go to school.
habbotroy

Post by habbotroy »

LOL mi friend bought it was just a case the hardrive and everything wasnt in it =P
TROY
barnes

Post by barnes »

Serenity wrote:The reasons behind such a project were never to make a profit. Yes, I have seen these laptops. The pictures with the handcrank are infact real. They are not meant for gaming or anything high tech but to allow children from lower economic levels access to the internet and basic computing needs.

The one drawback I havent seen a viable answer to wireless internet getting into the areas where these children live and go to school.
I've thought the same thing. What third world country has broadband internet acess to spread a wireless connection anyways? Possible the OLPC program is planning on helping set this up as well.
habbotroy wrote:LOL mi friend bought it was just a case the hardrive and everything wasnt in it =P
Thats a shame...probably because its not out yet and theres only a handful of models around. They sent 1,000 or so to Taiwan or something, and some are being sold back to us.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

Serenity wrote:The reasons behind such a project were never to make a profit. Yes, I have seen these laptops. The pictures with the handcrank are infact real. They are not meant for gaming or anything high tech but to allow children from lower economic levels access to the internet and basic computing needs.

I thought the same thing.... if they are too poor to afford a computer... how on earth will they afford wireless broadband?
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti