The $100 laptop

Any discussion regarding hardware features as well as hardware troubleshooting can be carried out here.
ag3nt

Post by ag3nt »

100$ laptop?lol i dont wanna think about its features.Maybe they made it from trash in trash can by recycling :P

barnes

Post by barnes »

ag3nt wrote:100$ laptop?lol i dont wanna think about its features.Maybe they made it from trash in trash can by recycling :P
Please, read a little bit before saying these things.
garfunkel

Post by garfunkel »

believe me, i have tried the one hundred dollar laptops before, not the system itself, but the OS "sugar" (based on fedora) that comes with it. DON'T judge the system with out using it. For kids in 3rd world nations I would say the system is more powerful and more useable then even required, it is a great little system with an interesting GUI and nice little programs for the kids to use; an rss reader, a paint app, word processor etc. It will also spark a boom for Linux and open source in 3rd world markets such as china and india.
barnes

Post by barnes »

garfunkel wrote:believe me, i have tried the one hundred dollar laptops before, not the system itself, but the OS "sugar" (based on fedora) that comes with it. DON'T judge the system with out using it. For kids in 3rd world nations I would say the system is more powerful and more useable then even required, it is a great little system with an interesting GUI and nice little programs for the kids to use; an rss reader, a paint app, word processor etc. It will also spark a boom for Linux and open source in 3rd world markets such as china and india.
From what I understand, India denied OLPC from distrusting to them. They are in the works of making their own budget laptop that might cost only 10 dollars. Pretty crazy stuff really, but I'm sure it couldn't stack up to the OLPC hardware.
garfunkel

Post by garfunkel »

I was not aware of that, thanks for the info!

Anyway, i would suggest looking at the sugar os in the laptops, redhat offer it as a download as a livecd on their site.
Flickorian

Never Heard.

Post by Flickorian »

Why don't you elaborate on the details of the $100 lap top, or at least post a link.
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

**** wrote:Why don't you elaborate on the details of the $100 lap top, or at least post a link.
barnes wrote:Geeze, no one likes to just Google stuff here?

Yes, there will be a $100 dollar laptop. Its developed under the name of OLPC (The One Laptop Per Child Program.) It runs a custom Linux based OS known as Suger, which is availible to download and test with a LiveCD.

How ever, they will no be commercially avalible, atlease at the $100 price tag. They have plans to release commerical units for 200, which will include the price of a second laptop which is shipped to a third world nation.

The laptop itself is quite decent. Built with rubber keyboard for duribility, web cam, Wifi (802.11G) built in speakers. It will be a great PC for experimentation, cheap projects, and will push hackers to a new level, with laptops at a nearly dispoable price. (Think hidden laptops broadcasting wifi signals in cities and towns.)

I personally am ready and willing to purchase one with the $200 tag. Considering it will be a fun project laptop, and helps a third world nation.

More information can be found at their site: Laptop.org

If you go through the full thread, you can find all the information you need '****'. 'barnes' has clearly given all the details and a link for further information on this topic
barnes

Post by barnes »

Well said SHAdmin. When there is 3 pages on a thread, there is bound to be some information. ;)
gikian

Post by gikian »

It actually costs around $170, and it is not widely available. Just watched a program about it on tv today. its processor is built by AMD and its speed is only 433 MHz . it is designed for 3rd world countries. It is especially usefull for childrens as it is designed for them and contains many learning softwares, included in $170. It runs on a Linux system that is all i know about it.
forex_199

Post by forex_199 »

lol a $100 laptop, can we a link please?