Farewell Smokyhosts!

All other fun that doesn't go into either of the above categories.
TheCrymsonLegends

Farewell Smokyhosts!

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

I've been a member for the past 5 years, and a moderator for 4 of those 5. I was even the first Moderator on Smokyhosts, that was an accomplishment for me.

As time went on, I've been through the best and worst of smokyhosts. Unfortunately, I feel that the free side of smokyhosts has been dwindled down into a piss load of robots crawling and spamming the forums. There is nothing good about those bots, the spam, nor anything associated with them.

Since no one really posts (besides the spam bots) I feel my Moderator Duties are of no more value. Smokyhosts has been good (at times), but this is where my path ends.

At the start, the servers were smooth. Now response and load times put even my 12 Mbit connection to a crawl. Cpanel load times are well over 5 - 6+ seconds, and most the time I can't get it to switch pages at all.

My site load times have become drastic, what was once 1-3 seconds or lower, has now pushed over 8 - 12 seconds. (This is of course on my 12Mbit, which not everyone has a high high speed connection.)

I host all my test work on my own computer, and even my 768Kbit upload speeds allow guests to load the site faster than if it was hosted on Smokyhosts. So many people have left Smokyhosts, quite a few I considered a friend. Now it is my time as well.

Over the next few days I will periodically check this post, but by Friday it will be my last log in.

You all have been great (those who remember and know me), the forum games were awesome. Now, unfortunately, any good experience is a rare occasion. Smokyhosts is a desert ghost town, and only a few people are left in survival. 1 by 1 we are parting, most have already stopped posting.

Goodluck in all your endeavors, I wish you all the best.

Goodbye Smokyhosts!

Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
Rapboy

Post by Rapboy »

This was such a sad post to read and to be honest I agree with everything you said.
It is a shame that smokyhosts is ending like this. I am not sure if you are going to read this as you said friday was your last login but I wanted to say that you were a good mod and even during the hard times of inactivity tried to make the site active by reviving the forum game.

Keeping a forum as smokyhosts active is not a 1 man's job and as far as I am concerned you did your fair bit. I wish you also good luck in all you endeavours.

Goodbye TheCrymsonLegends, it was a pleasure to know you.

P.S. I will send you my email in your pm incase you need help with your future projects.
^ Total Chaos.
Hoping to reach 1,000 post one day on SH
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

hey,

it's a pleasure knowing you.
Gebbo

Smokyhosts

Post by Gebbo »

TheCrymsonLegends wrote:I've been a member for the past 5 years, and a moderator for 4 of those 5. I was even the first Moderator on Smokyhosts, that was an accomplishment for me.

As time went on, I've been through the best and worst of smokyhosts. Unfortunately, I feel that the free side of smokyhosts has been dwindled down into a piss load of robots crawling and spamming the forums. There is nothing good about those bots, the spam, nor anything associated with them.

Since no one really posts (besides the spam bots) I feel my Moderator Duties are of no more value. Smokyhosts has been good (at times), but this is where my path ends.

At the start, the servers were smooth. Now response and load times put even my 12 Mbit connection to a crawl. Cpanel load times are well over 5 - 6+ seconds, and most the time I can't get it to switch pages at all.

My site load times have become drastic, what was once 1-3 seconds or lower, has now pushed over 8 - 12 seconds. (This is of course on my 12Mbit, which not everyone has a high high speed connection.)

I host all my test work on my own computer, and even my 768Kbit upload speeds allow guests to load the site faster than if it was hosted on Smokyhosts. So many people have left Smokyhosts, quite a few I considered a friend. Now it is my time as well.

Over the next few days I will periodically check this post, but by Friday it will be my last log in.

You all have been great (those who remember and know me), the forum games were awesome. Now, unfortunately, any good experience is a rare occasion. Smokyhosts is a desert ghost town, and only a few people are left in survival. 1 by 1 we are parting, most have already stopped posting.

Goodluck in all your endeavors, I wish you all the best.

Goodbye Smokyhosts!
Its a sad thing to see you leave =/ Your post kind of dissapoints me. I feel as if smokyhosts is slowly going to parish.
.............................:: Spirit of Fire ::..................................

TheCrymsonLegends

Thank you all for posting. I decided to check to see if there were any new posts to this one. I've tried a few times to somehow re-spark the community where we use to be at. Back when people who were new to web coding/design could get answers to their questions. Yeah I am a little biased, there are a few things I need for my website that I can't really figure out where to start at.

Either way my job as a moderator isn't only to moderate posts, but help moderate an entire community. Which included coming up with ways to bring life back.

It is extremely hard to do so without SHAdmin around on the forums, I can't really do too much myself as a Moderator. Technically 5 years is a long time to run a community where you are actively involved, plus the things in his life that he has to place above this website for good reasons. He's done a good job, when he was here.

I understand most the reasons I am leaving are a bit selfish, but when you smooth the reasons out... it's a little less selfish.

I would consider coming back, using my hosting, and trying to produce productivity in forwarding Smokyhosts' Community to growing again... but my only stipulation is that SHAdmin either brings in an Assistant Admin to do the things needed while he is gone.. or is active himself. Something needs to be done, because I miss getting help from a community who will refrain from pointing out that they are 1,000,000 times better than you and know everything. Long story on those, but I loved this community for the willingness to help someone instead of kicking them while they are down.

Of course you three are some of the heavy hitters, I hope something changes... I really do. Thank you all three for your responses, makes me feel a little bit less invisible. Means a lot. Wish you all the best, and of course as always... If anyone needs a PHP, Javascript, and/or MySQL hobby... I'm still looking for at least 1 coder... but I no longer have the funds to pay. ^.^'

To SHAdmin: If ye shall grace this post with your presence. If you return and become Active again, let me know. If you decide you will not be able to return actively, maybe it's time to hire that Assistant Admin to help manage the website and hosting needs. Over the past 5+ Years.. this website has offered a tremendous deal of support, and hosting needs. Most people even became friends through the community, which almost none of any other host can dream of accomplishing. I'd hate to see the Free Side of this site die like this... but there is nothing more I can do. Deleting millions of posts for the shear fact that there isn't a CAPTCHA on the User Registration is frustrating. Posting a topic and getting no responses or maybe 1 after 2 weeks .. just to find out it's a spam bot. I'm sure you understand, and there is no hard feelings. Life is always most important, and should always come first. Of course over the years I have realized that if you plan on putting your time into something, you have to be sure you have the time to put into it. I hope that things work out, and I wish you the best in life. I'll periodically check in, to see if anything has changed. But until then, farewell.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
TheCrymsonLegends

HEY GUYS! Check out my suggestion! Let's support it!
Everyone who has Nishant's Email, should email him and let him know about it. I sent an email to him, just hope he checks his email and contacts me back.

So, Support me in becoming an Admin so that Smokyhosts will flourish again!
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Wow... that was really touching "TheCrymsonLegends"... Wonder howcome i didnt come across this thread earlier!

Let me buy myself one more chance here... Latest by the 10th June 2010 onwards, I will be active on the forums again and try my best to revive it to bring it to a calibre to atleast wish you to stick around.
TheCrymsonLegends

I don't know if I will be sticking around regardless. I've already purchased my hosting, my domain names, and after the 5 years of donating my time and offering ideas to help aid smokyhosts along... I felt like I was let down.

I offered a suggestion which would help you out tremendously, which was shot down. I learned more on how to code, hosted my own server on my computer, and basically moved completely away from Smokyhosts.

My hosting won't run out for another year, and I feel as I have no real reason to stay anymore.

I don't know if you can buy yourself another chance, I've honestly tried since it started going downhill, I foresaw it happening.. and when I left... a few members who were barely hanging on left as well.

I am sending you a private message going into more detail. We will see, but you know as well as I have.. I've tried my best to bring Smokyhosts back to the way it was years ago.
genilanderson

Post by genilanderson »

Its really a pleasure for everyone
Stam

Post by Stam »

This is so sad, Is SmokyHosts truly gone? Is the paid side still active? I was considering using the paid hosting. Really gutted :(