The "Off-Topic" Game

All other fun that doesn't go into either of the above categories.
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Entity Relationship Diagram -- I had to look this one up, but I found it quite interesting. I'm guessing these diagrams help with SQL coding to make sure you get everything where you want it and how you want it.

Of course, it could also be used for a game, either text based or graphical. I've never done the whole brainstorming diagram thing before, mostly I just design the website as I want it to look... then go from there. These ERD's would come in handy, greatly, when it comes to designing the core functionality of a website.

Thanks for talking about it, now I got something to look forward to. I've got an Eclipse of the year 2001. It's a nice car, I've heard of Vaxhaul but it's limited to Australia isn't it?

Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

Does anyone else also feel like their hard disk drives are always not big enough for them?
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

With 320GB of Hard Drive space.... Not really. But I suppose it would all depend on what all you used a computer for.

This thread is so off-topic, we don't even keep very good topic at all. Perfect!
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

i think this is the off topic thread isnt it? haha

i have 2 1TB and 1 320GB external drives but it is going to be full.. lol
Gebbo

External HD

Post by Gebbo »

thetarget wrote:i think this is the off topic thread isnt it? haha

i have 2 1TB and 1 320GB external drives but it is going to be full.. lol
I wish i had some external hard drives, how much did the 2 ITB External HD's cost for you ?
.............................:: Spirit of Fire ::..................................

Rapboy

Post by Rapboy »

TheCrymsonLegends wrote:Since the website will have two sides to the site, I will require a valid photo ID with Birth date for proof of age. Most people use credit cards due to the knowledge it is impossible to get a card under the age of 18, but there are many flaws to this system. Other sites use an honor system, but they do not accurately fight against minors accessing the website.

So would you expect the members to send in their photo ID? Or is the photo id in the u.s digital and transferrable? I dont think anyone will want to hand in their photo id to someone they dont know that well and nowadays with so many fraud going on, that will be very unsensible thing to do. The honor system as you are saying will not combact the problem.
Why is it impossible to get a credit card under the age of 18? I am in Europe and as far as I was concern the main requirement of getting a credit card is passing the credit check and providing your income, but it might be a different case in the U.S.

The adult material would be much like what is found on Fubar. People pose **** photos of themselves with a wide range of explicit levels. Some are soft core, others are more ****, and a few are barely found as **** at all. The website manages to bring in a lot of money with the manner in which they have built it, so I'm thinking it's a good idea.

I haven't even heard of fubar before untill you just mentioned it. I did take a bit of look around the site and got abit of an idea how it might look like I think. I didnt register because i am not really in the whole social website thing, but I comparred it to facebook but then with **** foto's.

The main reason credit card verification fails is because they have to take a little money out of the card to verify it's an active card. Most people do not have credit cards nor trust that the website will not charge. I find that credit card verification websites are not really worth the time, nor the risk.

That was exactly what I was thinking when I read the first paragraph.

If you don't have any active way of keeping minors away from the **** or prevent minors from uploading their own **** images then the website can get sued. Due to intellectual property laws, any material found on the website is property of the website which entitles Lawful Actions against the website if anything is found.

Isn't it possible to host the site somewhere outside the u.s. as I think that the intellectual property laws only applies in the u.s. and maybe a couple of countries in europe. It might be worth looking into that. At the end of the day minors will always find way to access the site. Is just having a page where visitors have to enter their date of birth classify as an active way of keeping minors away?

On Fubar I've actually run into a few 17 year old females who will straight up admit they are 17, but the website is strictly for 18+. I don't want to host a website with the chance that minors can access these adult photos nor have a chance they will upload them.

I dont want to burst your bubble but I think that is a bit too optimistic. The only thing I think you can do is reducing the chance of minors accessing the site, but there will still be a chance.

Since the adult side of the site will be verified by Photo ID, a Valid State License, we could also find a way to run the ID Numbers to verify the age. This would be an active fight against allowing minors to access, which would raise how people feel about the website.

As I mentioned earlier I dont really know alot about the u.s photo id and what information is printed on it. I dont know what a valid state licence is but I am assuming that might be the driving licence, which in the united kingdom has your home address on it. Which obviously shows the risk incase it get's in the wrong hand. Is your website going to be u.s. only? I am asking that due to the fact that people outside the u.s. might not have the information your site might request.

Of course this isn't the only factor we would have to worry about, but it's a main concern.

I think you are doing a very goodjob by making that one of your priorites. Because an adult site should only be access by adults.

Now for the "crap" that I was talking about, I am referring to an assortment of abilities where the user can specify what they want. If they want friends only, they would be paired up with friends only. It's a social website that will actively match a user with exactly what they want. This will prevent some drama for users and allow them to feel comfortable with who they accept on their friend's list.

Are you talking about matching those people that are looking for relationship with simillar people, and people looking for intimitate time with similar people and so on? If that is the case, then all i can say is that is a smart way of thinking. So let's say the website wants to pair 2 people together, will it send both of them an invitation? and if 1 of them refuse and the other accept will it just cancel the pairing and move on, or will it send a notification back to the one that accepted the initial pairing that the other person has declined the invitation?

There are also a ton of features that social websites do not offer to their members, which my website would offer. The website was getting coded, but I have not talked to my coder in a couple days so I am not 100% sure what progress has been made. Hopefully it's more progress than I am currently thinking, but I will be working on the website myself once I get some of the code from my coder. This should bring the website to Beta Version sometime in the near future. I will post the website once it is in Beta, and a full release of a 100% Professional Code will be launched a couple months after Beta.

I will be looking forward to it, atleast it will be something that might revive the 'advertise your site' thread.

The only downfall to a social website is the lack of spreading through people who join it. I'm also not planning on teaming up with Twitter, but that's just a personal choice.

But if it is a good site then the people that will be joining will be willing to invite their friends to join, in a way they will be advertising for you and that is almost all social website become a success. Or did you mean ' The only downfall to the social website is getting people to join in the first instance'?

For cross site messaging, it's pretty impossible without the permission from the other websites, but if the website becomes big enough... we may have some negotiation room with the top social networks to combine all networks through messaging or adding. It's possible to cross site message, but only if you have a SQL Username and Database Access in which to send the information to another website.

If it become a success then they maybe willing to negotiate about the cross site messaging. Although that might not be intresting enough for them, as they would rather like to negotiate about buying the website.
Overall it seems that you are well prepared and have a well structered plan, and the site seems to have the uniqueness about it which is essential for it become succesfull.
As this is the off-topic game and I have to go off-topic to be on topic.

Has anyone ever heard of Derren Brown? A magicians that apparantly 'predicted' the lottery, and in one of his shows claimed that most of the people that watched it would be stuck in the chair (this episode was in the u.k.). I am not aware if he is known in the states, but he is gradually gaining alot of publicity in the u.k. I personally think that he is a con- artist.
^ Total Chaos.
Hoping to reach 1,000 post one day on SH