US Verdict against cigarette companies

All other fun that doesn't go into either of the above categories.
Nikolaes

US Verdict against cigarette companies

Post by Nikolaes »

The U.S. Supreme Court handed down a verdict that the smokers will be able to obtain reimbursement from cigarette companies
the use of cigarettes in the title the words "light". The court acknowledged that the manufacturer of misleading customers by creating the illusion
that such cigarettes have less injury, said France Presse

I can not remember when the first "light" cigarettes. About 10 years... These companies are once again deceived us and take away our health.
This deception can not tolerate long as the President thinks?

SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

hehe...thats crazy...

Its like someone is insured to smoke!! Its like if somebody smokes, then today or tommorrow, it is going to shown in his health, and at that time, he can get his hospital bills paid by the cigarette companies!!
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

As a smoker I think that ruling is just dumb. First of all we are completely coherent when we choose to light up a cigarette. We understand the risks that smoking can cause and choose to avoid the warning. "Light" cigarettes just have holes poked in the filter to release a little smoke before we inhale it. We draw in more air and less smoke which effectively makes the cigarette a light.

It's like the people who take medication they "KNOW" can cause complications and when something happens they sue the company for it. Don't sue the company, sue the government for allowing that medication to be used in America. The company knows almost every risk possible when taking medication, and they properly warn the public.

It's like when you decide to drink and you wreck because you decided to drive. You can't sue the alcohol companies to replace your vehicle and you are intoxicated when you decided to drive. Making you less aware and less responsible.

I honestly think people should accept their own actions and stop trying to get rich because they willingly accepted the risks. America is making it extremely difficult for anyone to do anything that has risks. Paintballing, Airsofting, Extreme Sports, Medication, or anything which says "This could cause injury."

There was a case where someone tried to sue cartoon companies for putting their cartoons on what people consider "Junk Food". Come on, it's not their fault your kid is a pig and you decide to buy the poor guy/gal everything they want. Parents should just control themselves and their children to ensure healthy eating habits and future living habits.

Society is failing itself and eventually when someone wants medication for their illness or a doctor to perform a questionable yet risky surgery to save their life, they won't have any of it to fall back on. So people should just accept they accept the risks and if something happens they should just shut up about it. Coal Miners who got black lung prior to the knowledge, sure they can sue. Anyone who doesn't have prior knowledge of any risks, yeah they can sue. But people who know what it exactly is should be slapped for even thinking about suing someone.

Of course this is posted in the wrong area :/ The author probably isn't even around anymore lol.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Moved to the correct area ;)

Well, let me put my point of view...as a non-smoker...
I feel this kind of ruling is just an indirect way for the government to keep earning money as well as keep themselves in good books of the people!

As a matter of fact, government earns a lot of money from cigarette companies in terms of taxes or duties. Now if a government bans these companies from manufacturing/selling cigarettes, then it will be loosing all this money. However, when the government makes this kind of an act, then it still continues to earn from the cigarette companies.

In addition to that, if a smoker can claim reimbersements from such companies, then it is obvious that the company first needs to make that sort of money to first cover its own costs, plus to address such reimbersements. That means, the cost of each cigarette increases further, that further increases the taxes that government will recieve along with the government showing the people that it is acting in the interest of the masses!!

On a personal note, when someone smokes, I dont care if they are getting harmed, coz they are doing it voluntarily. But I do care when one is smoking, and the person beside him needs to inhale that smoke! One has full right to harm his own life, but no right to harm the life of others!!
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

That is why I don't smoke around people who don't want to inhale it. I do smoke in my house but if I am in the other room and no one comes in there, they never know I am smoking. My family does walk into the other room, but I only smoke outside during the warmer months. I don't feel like getting all cozy to go outside for 6 minutes to smoke lol.

If someone smokes 1 pack every 2 days which I do, over 20 years they would have spent $10,980 on smokes at the price of $3 a pack. Now my father smoked around 3 packs a day and at $3 (which is less than he actually paid) per pack he would have spent $65,700 over the period of 20 years.

Those amounts are quite large, and even if someone got 1/3rd of that to pay for medical bills the companies would have effectively made a profit and helped their customers. But for the people who sue for millions or hundreds of thousands, they are making more out of it than they put into it.

It's like buying stocks in smoking and when you are ill you can take out your dividends and see a net profit of 200 - 5000% which is unreal and straight out wrong. Like the Truth commercials, we know the risks and we smoke anyway. It doesn't mean some non-profit company is going to teach us something new, they are wasting money just like we are.

If the companies made a deal for anyone who has bought their products for 20 years they could see 1/3rd of the money they spent back to aid medical bills then it would help out in the long run. But people would still be greedy, and sue for more than they deserve leaving other people with serious problems alone out in the dark because the company doesn't have any funds left. It's a hit or miss, honestly I think if you choose to smoke you shouldn't be able to sue at all. If someone gets second hand effects from your smoking, you should be sued. Not the company :P.

P.S. After looking at those amounts of money, if I ever get to smoking more than 1 pack a day I am going to have to quit. I can be fine with spending $10,000 over 20 years but $60,000 over 20 years :O. No, I would stick that elsewhere lol.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

Well set TheCrymsonLegends ;)