recommendation: Downton Abbey

fanlei

recommendation: Downton Abbey

Post by fanlei »

I am now follow the TV series made by bbc, Down Abbey.
It is a British-American period drama television series.
The series, set in the fictional Yorkshire country estate of Downton Abbey, depicts the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants after the post-Edwardian era — with the great events in history having an effect on their lives and the British social hierarchy in general. Such events depicted throughout the whole series include the news of the sinking of the RMS Titanic in the first series; the outbreaks of the Great War, Spanish **** pandemic, and the Marconi scandal in the second series; and the Interwar period and the formation of the Irish Republic in the third series.
I strongly recommend this.

pp_amanda

Re: recommendation: Downton Abbey

Post by pp_amanda »

I love this kind of movie very much. Here's some introduction about the tv series:
The Downton Abbey estate stands a splendid example of confidence and mettle, its family enduring for generations and its staff a well-oiled machine of propriety. But change is afoot at Downton — change far surpassing the new electric lights and telephone. A crisis of inheritance threatens to displace the resident Crawley family, in spite of the best efforts of the noble and compassionate Earl, Robert Crawley (Hugh Bonneville, Miss Austen Regrets); his American heiress wife, Cora (Elizabeth McGovern); his comically implacable, opinionated mother, Violet (Maggie Smith, David Copperfield); and his beautiful, eldest daughter, Mary, intent on charting her own course. Reluctantly, the family is forced to welcome its heir apparent, the self-made and proudly modern Matthew Crawley (Dan Stevens), himself none too happy about the new arrangements. As Matthew's bristly relationship with Mary begins to crackle with electricity, hope for the future of Downton's dynasty takes shape. But when petty jealousies and ambitions grow among the family and the staff, scheming and secrets — both delicious and dangerous — threaten to derail the scramble to preserve Downton Abbey. Created and written by Oscar-winner Julian Fellowes (Gosford Park), Downton Abbey offers a spot-on portrait of a vanishing way of life.
fanlei

Re: recommendation: Downton Abbey

Post by fanlei »

I found it boring when I first saw it. But when I keep on, I find it is of great significance.