Average and Color blending mode

Everybody can post tutorials, tips, tricks, and request for tutorials help in this place
iSTiFYeTi

Average and Color blending mode

Post by iSTiFYeTi »

From a while, during my Photoshop training courses I dedicated myself ardently to the spread of the work flow for photographic post production based on three key passages:
1) Contrasts adjustments (the highlights and the shadows)
2) Neutral tones balance (color cast on grey)
3) Increasing or decreasing the saturation

The work flow of the photographic post production can be performed with many adjustment tools as:
Brightness/contrast - Color Balance - Hue/Saturation,
or Levels - Hue/Saturation,
or Auto-Adjustments - Sponge.

This tutorial is very brief and introduces a new method to decrease color cast on neutral tones.

The picture has a really intense orange color cast. I took this picture of Christopher Columbus' statue along the "lower pavement" in Funchal (Madeira Island).
No need to be a colorimetric expert to understand that, the light effect due to the night orange lights is to much.
The goal is to decrease color cast, of course, without changing the "meaning" of the picture.

First of all we duplicate the background layer. Then we apply Filter>Blur>Average, that will transform the picture's layer into a colored "stain" by the average pixels' color.
Then we have to invert (ctrl+i) the obtained color in order to see the opposite color.

iSTiFYeTi

Post by iSTiFYeTi »

Now we change blending mode to Color