client web browser

Any problem with javascript can be discussed here.
jasondsouza

client web browser

Post by jasondsouza »

i used the new internet explorer and executed the php code for detecting browsers...

i got to see that MSIE7 has mozilla 4.0 in the version info... seems to be creepy.. is IE7 based on mozilla

--jasondsouza
ME working on a very new site. (Coming soon)
Come to my web Site
Flipper3

Post by Flipper3 »

Woah! That is creepy! MSIE7 user agent is:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; Zune 2.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022)

That is so creepy! Maybe they stole some of Firefox's source? :P
delivi

Post by delivi »

all browsers use Mozilla in their user agent name, but it doesn't mean that they are using code from Mozilla.

But the reson behind this is that Netscape the predecssor of Mozilla first stared giving names to the browser as Mozilla then Browser name and the version number, later IE, opera and Safari are following the same way that Netscape used to name their browser user agents.
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

I think when you install something that is from Mozilla, it sets the user agent to it.
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
jasondsouza

Post by jasondsouza »

probably... but it seems very creepy.... does any software techie around know why.... why does IE or microsoft use their user agent name as mozilla...
--jasondsouza
ME working on a very new site. (Coming soon)
Come to my web Site
vijethk

Post by vijethk »

Might be something has gone wrong dude... microsoft r not that fool i guess..
thecobra

Post by thecobra »

delivi wrote:all browsers use Mozilla in their user agent name, but it doesn't mean that they are using code from Mozilla.

But the reson behind this is that Netscape the predecssor of Mozilla first stared giving names to the browser as Mozilla then Browser name and the version number, later IE, opera and Safari are following the same way that Netscape used to name their browser user agents.
cool i dint knew that, i thought each browser had it own code of information
Gebbo

Agent

Post by Gebbo »

Tails5 wrote:I think when you install something that is from Mozilla, it sets the user agent to it.
Didnt know that, good tip tailz!
.............................:: Spirit of Fire ::..................................

delivi

Post by delivi »

here is the actual reason why the browser's useragent has Mozilla in it

"The earliest example of this is Internet Explorer's use of a User-Agent string beginning "Mozilla/<version> (compatible; MSIE <version>...", in order to receive content intended for Netscape Navigator, its main rival at the time of its development. This was not a reference to the open-source Mozilla browser, which was developed much later, but to the original codename for Navigator, which was also the name of the Netscape company mascot. This format of User-Agent string has since been copied by other user agents, partly because Explorer, in turn, came to dominate..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent ... t_spoofing