Take a Free Ride with PHP-Nuke

Any problem with PHP can be disscused here
al-m3skr

Post by al-m3skr »

For All Beginners In PHP.. I found this amazing article in the (PC Magazine) and I am thinking it would be a great thing to share it with you :) ..

As the old saying goes, the best things in life are free. And for small organizations that need a portal, this expression remains true. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty with some code, PHP-Nuke, portal software released under the gnu/gpl license, can be a gateway into managing a small-business or personal portal. Available through http://phpnuke.org (and with a popular offshoot, PostNuke, available from http://www.postnuke.com), it lets a PHP developer build a well-appointed portal replete with news feeds, instant messaging, polling, searching, and wireless access.

At its heart, PHP-Nuke is both an extensible framework and an out-of-the-box portal that offers administrative tools and a set of portlets, or modules, in PHP-Nuke jargon, all glued together by the PHP scripting language. At a trim 8mb, PHP-Nuke can run on any Web server that supports PHP. Its database management system maintains identity profiles and module data. PHP-Nuke can connect to many databases (including Microsoft sql Server and PostgreSQL). Most implementations use the open-source MySQL.

Although the portal installation is reasonably straightforward, we found the configuration of the Apache Web server and MySQL trying, and the **** didn't help much with these steps. Once we had PHP-Nuke installed, a simple wizard walked us through the PHP-Nuke database creation.

PHP-Nuke offers several default modules. Among the more useful are basic Web site statistics, site search, polls, and a file repository. Portal users can also access a news and reviews module using a mobile device through an included AvantGo transform engine. Users can choose from several themes and language preferences—especially welcome if your portal users are not all native English speakers.

PHP-Nuke's roots as a content management system show up in its content submission and workflow features. You can submit html content straight from the portal with one ****. An editor with authoring privileges can then check in, check out, edit, and approve **** before they're released.

An administration console accessible through a Web browser manages all the portal assets. Here you lay out modules with size and position functions. Dozens of different themes, including many Flash animation themes, have been donated to the PHP-Nuke community, but many of them are buggy and require some low-level programming.

To set up permissions, an administrator must assign a user to a group. Based on the group setting, a user is granted access to designated areas of the site, as well as read, write, and edit privileges. Error checking and notification of broken pages are useful, but they require coding.

PHP-Nuke isn't intended for large-scale portal development. Nor does it have connectors for enterprise resource planning or customer relationship management software. But what it lacks in those areas it makes up for in well-executed design and a lower price.

mzikawy

Post by mzikawy »

thanks man 4 the good infromations
The Life is a very Big surprise ... Try to believe it .
al-m3skr

Post by al-m3skr »

Happy u used from it

I hope u will have a php nuke, its lovely and easy to use..
tsj5j

Post by tsj5j »

Phpnuke is great as it perfectly integrates phpbb with it.

Word of warning though, the integrated forum can barely be moddable.
kaos_frack

Post by kaos_frack »

what's phpNuke anyway?
i know i've heard in many places in this forum
but i never understood
is it an editor?
iPod Wizard

Post by iPod Wizard »

Its an ok site.. kind of like Nuke-Evolution's layout better.
iPod Wizard

Post by iPod Wizard »

Whats good stuff? The Php-Nuke? Well PHP-Nuke and Nuke-Evolution are very nice looking btw.
kaos_frack

Post by kaos_frack »

finally got what phpNuke is
and see it is not free
it costs $10, if i had a credit card
i would spend this $10 for a domain
and get a free alternative for phpNuke