Thanks giving button

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
panakj

Thanks giving button

Post by panakj »

As in many forums there is "Thanks" button attached to every post, by which we can give thanks to the poster by pressing it, and i have seen smokyhosts forum missing this thing, if we make this thing it will be great and its very helpful coz many visitors don't want to reply and maybe they don't have time, at least they can give thanks by pressing that button and support the posters, this way poster will also be happy to register more good posts. thanks.

TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

We currently have the Rate Thread system, but I think what you are pushing more towards is the User Reputation type system.

I think it would be a good idea, so that people can show their own reputation. This would also enable newer users the ability to know who they can count on for viable information and those who may not be all that helpful.

Good idea!
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
panakj

Post by panakj »

this is how it looks > Image

there is "THANKS" button in last, this is what we will see with every post.

thanks for your reply.
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

That's a useful suggestion panakj... dont know howcome i missed it so long.

I have put it up in my todo list and will be putting it up soon.
Freedom Fighter

Post by Freedom Fighter »

A Suggestion for the thanks button.

I have seen hundreds of version fo this and simply the best one works as fallows.

Only the first post of the forum has a thanks button becuase if we thank every post the
database queries are huge.

at the bottom of the page is shown a simple count and recent thanks posters.
with a link to a more spacific display of who thanked that post.

Now in member display(or under avatar in forum)(or both) is displayed how many times
that use has been thanked for posting on the site.

This all can be broken down even more with custom coding to have
thanks for:

Help, Tutorials, Information,ect..

And as such in member display it will show a count for each catagorie that user has been
thanked for.

The Reason i suggest this is because allot of site use cluncky thanks systems that
just drag down the sql database.

:}
TheCrymsonLegends

Post by TheCrymsonLegends »

Freedom Fighter: If the Thanks system was just a number, then people would be able to Thank others over and over for the same post. Which could potentially throw off the actual number of real Thank You tallys.

The way I am doing my Rating System on my Social Site is dependant on the type of rate it is. If a user is a "Rate my Profile", then it logs for only a day and it resets the database at the end of that day. The Statistics are still logged to show total rates, but it continues to reset the database to keep the total amount of database storage down.

I'm not exactly sure if it would be possible to implement such a system with the Thanks Button, as you should only be able to Thank one person per one post.

Nice suggestion though.
Reached 5000 Credits! The highest of any member on Smokyhosts! New milestone for Me!
panakj

Post by panakj »

SHAdmin wrote:That's a useful suggestion panakj... dont know howcome i missed it so long.

I have put it up in my todo list and will be putting it up soon.
well, SHAdmin do it now, and let members thanks me :) :p
panakj

Post by panakj »

Freedom Fighter wrote:A Suggestion for the thanks button.

I have seen hundreds of version fo this and simply the best one works as fallows.

Only the first post of the forum has a thanks button because if we thank every post the database queries are huge.
:}

well, is not necessary to have "thanks" button to every post, yes it can be for first post of that section. But there are still problems and for this i found something, maybe this can help SHAdmin to make it little better and easier, there is a little changes to do, i am not much into this, so its better to look at it yourself what it says

Post Thank You Hack 7.4

About this hack:
One of the biggest problems on forums as you may know is 'posts boosting'. There are users who LOVE to say 'thanks' when ever they can. How can it hurt? Their post count goes up, they have nothing to loose.

There are also users who really like to express their thanks to post but don't like posting a post that looks like they're post boosting.

Then comes the moderators who have to delete people's thanks yous so a thread can look readable with out the thanks yous thrown around.

Finally comes the posters of these useful posts. They have no idea how many people really likes their posts if only some people say 'thanks'.

What this hack does is fix ALL these problems - except those users who like post boosting. This places a button called 'thanks.' When a user **** on it, it places his username in a box right under the post saying that so-and-so says 'thanks' for the post. Every-one who **** is placed in one box.

more to read in detail at this link Here

i hope it will work, thanks
SHAdmin

Post by SHAdmin »

And the 'Thank you' hack is now live! And the first thank you goes to you panakj :)
panakj

Post by panakj »

SHAdmin wrote:And the 'Thank you' hack is now live! And the first thank you goes to you panakj :)
your welcome SHAdmin and ffighter, i am happy to see that my suggestion helped this forum. :)