Automatic rejection of Spam Posts

Any suggestions for the improvement of the site can be posted here.
delivi

Automatic rejection of Spam Posts

Post by delivi »

I noticed 2 topics with spam in the forum, would'nt it be nice if all spam posts are rejected automatically.

So whenever a post is submitted the post content must be validated for spam content, if any spam sort of content is found, then the post can be rejected or marked for moderation so that a Moderator or Admin can verify it. This way we can maintain quality content in the forum :)

thetarget

Post by thetarget »

Cool idea. If we can make a true spam validator, SH will be rich enough to provide everyone with free power hosting.

I know i'll be very annoyed if my post is automaticall rejected just because it has more than 10 external link
Flipper3

Post by Flipper3 »

thetarget wrote:Cool idea. If we can make a true spam validator, SH will be rich enough to provide everyone with free power hosting.

I know i'll be very annoyed if my post is automaticall rejected just because it has more than 10 external link

Yeah, but creating this spam validator would be REALLY hard because what would it have to check for?
Jason

Post by Jason »

Flipper3 wrote:Yeah, but creating this spam validator would be REALLY hard because what would it have to check for?
I presume for the regular spam words: "****", "amateur", "****" and "****" to name a few. So I guess it would just be a snazzy word filter. Also, SHAdmin could do with employing/hiring another moderator that is around more often.
iBye

Post by iBye »

Jason wrote:I presume for the regular spam words: "****", "amateur", "****" and "****" to name a few. So I guess it would just be a snazzy word filter. Also, SHAdmin could do with employing/hiring another moderator that is around more often.
Agreed, another mod would be great.
Tired of Newbies asking Questions? Tell them www.UseGoogleFFS.com
Flipper3

Post by Flipper3 »

Jason wrote:I presume for the regular spam words: "****", "amateur", "****" and "****" to name a few. So I guess it would just be a snazzy word filter. Also, SHAdmin could do with employing/hiring another moderator that is around more often.
Well, the problem is that some of the blocked words are used; for instance: "amateur". Like I could say:

"I am an amateur at Java."

Is that post spam?...nah. I highly agree with this idea of spam rejection, but it is practically impossible. As TheCrymsonLegends says whenever he comes on this forum, just report the posts and the moderators will clean them up pretty fast.

Which then takes me to the last thing that you said, more moderators. Even one more would be great, but that moderator needs to be active and I don't know if the current ones get any reward/prize for being a moderator, but I don't think that a reward/prize is even needed.
thetarget

Post by thetarget »

It has become really clear that we need additional higher in-charge.

Detecting spam isn't impossible, just need a more thorough algorithm. Don't deny the post being posted or viewed. Just hide them, warn the user about the risk of spam and let them choose whether to reveal or not. Maybe not hide the whole post, hide 3/4 of it and hide images is good enough.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Flipper3 wrote:Well, the problem is that some of the blocked words are used; for instance: "amateur". Like I could say:

"I am an amateur at Java."

Is that post spam?...nah. I highly agree with this idea of spam rejection, but it is practically impossible. As TheCrymsonLegends says whenever he comes on this forum, just report the posts and the moderators will clean them up pretty fast.
No, that isn't span. I did think of that but I didn't include the solution for that within my previous post. Anyway, the solution being: any posts that contain filtered words are hidden and then a moderator can review them.
Flipper3 wrote: Which then takes me to the last thing that you said, more moderators. Even one more would be great, but that moderator needs to be active and I don't know if the current ones get any reward/prize for being a moderator, but I don't think that a reward/prize is even needed.
They're most probably volunteering (that's how most start off) but that doesn't change the fact that more staff are required (I'd even volunteer--doesn't take long to do a little spam clearing {that's from experience}). All it takes is one active moderator and it'll be sorted. Look at the collection of spam in this forum alone; loads of it and some have been around for a day or three :eek:
Tails5

Post by Tails5 »

I agree, all we need is active moderators. It only takes a few **** from an active mod and the post is gone :). If the current moderators are too busy, a few sub-mods or something could be appointed, just take active members and ask them.
Webmaster Yoda: You must confront the cPanel. Then, and only then, a webmaster will you be.
Julius Caesar: Veni, vidi, posti
iBye

Post by iBye »

Yupp, hire another mod and the spam will be history.
Tired of Newbies asking Questions? Tell them www.UseGoogleFFS.com